GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Just did some math to try and figure out what spring rates I wanna go with. Did a big post about it in my build thread. If anyone is curious then please pop over, would be cool to get some good discussion as I haven't seen anyone go that deep yet on the forum. TL;DR of it though is 7K springs up front, 5K springs in the rear.

HeloHarmonics

Ready to race!
Ok more like what did I do to my mk6 this week but... After about 4 years of street parking I finally have a garage to use again. The paint has been neglected and highly contaminated for a long time. Clay bar'd the entire car, sealed the paint (will have to polish at some point in the future), replaced the windshield wipers, and replaced my old faded and leaking LED tails (reps) with used but much newer LED tails (also reps, not gonna spend the $$$ for OEM). Car looks like new from 5 ft. I'm going to continue to refurbish stuff over time as with the pandemic and what's happened to car prices and everything else, I'll probably own this car at least another year or 2.

Old on left new on right
PXL_20211201_220348890.jpg

all done
PXL_20211208_230600184.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Ok more like what did I do to my mk6 this week but... After about 4 years of street parking I finally have a garage to use again. The paint has been neglected and highly contaminated for a long time. Clay bar'd the entire car, sealed the paint (will have to polish at some point in the future), replaced the windshield wipers, and replaced my old faded and leaking LED tails (reps) with used but much newer LED tails (also reps, not gonna spend the $$$ for OEM). Car looks like new from 5 ft. I'm going to continue to refurbish stuff over time as with the pandemic and what's happened to car prices and everything else, I'll probably own this car at least another year or 2.

Old on left new on right
View attachment 232363

all done
View attachment 232364

Two sets of reps are more money than a single set of used OEMs in great shape. Just sayin'! The refresh is looking good and having a garage is killer. I get to park in an underground structure, so the protection is there for me, but the convenience of a personal garage is not. It sucks sometimes.

HeloHarmonics

Ready to race!
Two sets of reps are more money than a single set of used OEMs in great shape. Just sayin'! The refresh is looking good and having a garage is killer. I get to park in an underground structure, so the protection is there for me, but the convenience of a personal garage is not. It sucks sometimes.
I definitely see your point. If I had to do it all over again I would have tried harder to find OEMs when I first got the car. I got a good deal on the current set tho. I'm not even entirely sure if OEMs wouldn't have faded a bit in the high-UV environment this car has lived in for a while. Will polish and spray these will a clear-coat sometime soon.

Feel you on not having a garage. I've done a few maintenance/repair jobs on the street and its, uh, not ideal.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
For sure keep me updated. 42DD is a fickle vendor absolutely. Interested in hearing your thoughts!

Well it's raining and nasty here today so not going to bother with a full road test, but here's a teaser in my driveway.

I had him leave the resonator on the DP (existing APR) for now so I could see what it sounded like and go from there. Pretty sure I'll take it back and have him remove it but will wait a month or so. First impressions are good and super happy.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Well it's raining and nasty here today so not going to bother with a full road test, but here's a teaser in my driveway.

I had him leave the resonator on the DP (existing APR) for now so I could see what it sounded like and go from there. Pretty sure I'll take it back and have him remove it but will wait a month or so. First impressions are good and super happy.
Sounds like farm equipment just like mine did

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Sounds like farm equipment just like mine did

Well, I did spend summers on my grandpas farm when I was a kid..............

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Okay so I’ve hesitated with declaring victory because lately when I do that something new breaks, but my engine appears to be happy now.

I should have changed the coil packs a long time ago, the engine is much smoother and more responsive. Rolling into the throttle at low RPMs in 2nd or 3rd gear feels much better and it pulls noticeably better from 5000 RPMs to redline where before the power kind of fell off a bit more than it should have.

I thought the light low RPM stumbling was probably intake valve carbon, turned out to be weak coil packs.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Okay so I’ve hesitated with declaring victory because lately when I do that something new breaks

Lately?!

Sir, I have been reading your posts for a few years now and this is not a new problem for you. Hopefully the VW car gods are smiling down on you now because you have had some rotten luck with your car.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Lately?!

Sir, I have been reading your posts for a few years now and this is not a new problem for you. Hopefully the VW car gods are smiling down on you now because you have had some rotten luck with your car.
Man, I think maybe my impression of the car never moved beyond the first 100k miles, which were pretty much trouble free. The car only needed one warranty repair, I didn‘t have to endure the horrors of constantly exploding water pumps and intake manifolds, and my timing chain tensioner was fine. Really the only abnormal repair was the throttle body wiring harness plug.

I suppose the last 50k miles haven’t been ideal.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion

Nice, how was fit and finish?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I put my car back up on the jack stands after failing to find anyone locally with scales for me to weigh my car. I'll get one eventually and hopefully the weights I used are at least kinda accurate. If not, springs are cheap. I pulled out the front suspension also to get ready to ship it out. It was a PITA to get out. The metal of the knuckles is getting gouged out from my 1/4" extension bootleg strut spreader, so I had to pound on them with a mini sledge to get the strut out of the knuckle. After that the rest of the drivers side went smooth, but on the passenger side, the allen key hole on the endlink stripped out on me so I had to use some pliers to hold the bolt so I could get the nut off. As you can see in the pics, my drivers side one is covered in oil, so i'm assuming that's where my phantom clunking was coming from. That one will most likely need to be fully rebuilt or just straight up replaced, all the others will just get new springs and revalved.

Drivers side:

Passenger side: