GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
AutoX events typically require metal battery brackets and not straps, right? If I go this route I would probably choose straps but I wouldn't want to have to modify it down the road y'know?
Yeah, track days do also, which is why I went with metal brackets. But because I'm holding it down with pressure from the bracket I didn't want to apply too much to it. One of these days I'll get another strip of metal and form a cross with the bracket, bending it down so I don't have to put any pressure on the battery, I can cage it in so it can't move in any direction.

What I did was just a ghetto combination of long bolts pushed up through holes drilled in the bottom of the tray, a crude strip of metal with holes drilled in, a few washers, and wing-nuts. It's not pretty to look at, but it's still covered by the plastic battery box and it's effective.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
20220611_113627.jpg

New, uncracked and freshly painted bumper. Taking a break for a minute and then ill be marking out where I will drill holes for rivnuts.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
JB Tankweld works in case anyone is wondering.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
That’s a lot a piña!!

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Posting this as a posthumous joke since I don't own mine anymore.

But, I got an email notification from Carfax that the next owner just did their 120K oil change at a Walmart on Friday. 😒 For some reason, I still have full access to my car's history (I wonder if it's because I'm the 1st owner) and can see that it was registered back in NY after I sold it. Whoever owns it now put 35K miles on it since I sold it late 2020.

The Walmart centre oil change is a slight punch in the gut as I took it only to the dealer when it was new and then my father and I would always change the oil at home all these years. Hope this person (I assume some stoner kid) is appreciating it as much as I did over the years.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
After 20k miles of coilover installation (mounts and bearings were also changed), decided to replace the strut mount and strut bearing.
As I heard the driver side has noise and feel the small jerky when slow turning.
Lots of movement in one side of strut mount and the other side bearing just fall apart during disassembling.
The car feels great again, the Ohlins DFV just grab the road seamlessly.
Also change from TT mount to OEM, and the setup feels better. Less harsh less bumpy, more confidence in the corner.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Took some time the other day and got my oil pressure and temp gauges installed. Decided to use the mounting holes with some bolts to keep it secured to the plastic, just to make sure it's not possible for it to pop out on the track. Also drilled another hole through the plastic for all the wires to run through. Since it blocks the cigarette lighter, I decided to pull the ground, power, and headlight signal from that cable which made it nice and easy. The signal wires for the sensors were really short so I had to splice them to a longer piece under the steering wheel which I then ran through the same hole as my battery relocation wire. Overall only took about 45 minutes and wasn't too bad.
Pod mounted to plastic with screws

Trimmed the screw length a bit with a dremel since clearance with the piece above is a bit tight

Hole for the wires to go through

Two signal wires being routed under the steering wheel and through the firewall

Power and ground wires being routed around the back to be hooked up to the outlet power

Clipped off the connector and got the splices on for the gauges. In hindsight I could have just spliced the connector back in as well, but I don't think anything would have fit in there with the pod installed.

Quick test and they light up fine, and even dim with the headlights on

Some shrink tape for good measure

The two signal wires coming through the firewall

Final product looks pretty good, Once I get the engine back in i'll hook up the sensors to the iAbed block and should be good to go

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Been awhile since I've seen one of those head units

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Something I noticed recently… the OEM gear oil is weird. It pours like motor oil so it’s very light (for a gear oil), so you’d thing that heat lowering the viscosity further would make the gearbox less happy, but the opposite is true. The hotter it gets the better it feels. I love feeling that slight bit of friction when the sycros bite and the “click” when the collar locks into place.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Had to yank the battery out of the GTI today for the suburban, shockingly they use the same battery despite the suburban being a 5.3 liter.

Had the heads off that damn truck to replace the lifters, lifter trays, VLOM unit, and nearly every gasket on the thing, start it up and she's knocking and missing just as bad as before.... There goes 1 grand and 6 days of work. :( I'm worried it wiped out either the cam or a new lifter

Guess I'll be delaying the VWR springs and TOB a little longer

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Not mk6 related but my mk7 got rear ended today by a Ram pick up

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Had to yank the battery out of the GTI today for the suburban, shockingly they use the same battery despite the suburban being a 5.3 liter.

Had the heads off that damn truck to replace the lifters, lifter trays, VLOM unit, and nearly every gasket on the thing, start it up and she's knocking and missing just as bad as before.... There goes 1 grand and 6 days of work. :( I'm worried it wiped out either the cam or a new lifter

Guess I'll be delaying the VWR springs and TOB a little longer
They need a new cam 99% of the time

And you can delete the AFM system

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
They need a new cam 99% of the time

And you can delete the AFM system
Well shoot. I think that's a bit beyond what I'm willing to get into on this truck.
I'm a little confused since the misfire is now on Cyl 1, originally it was Cyl 4... I think if the cam was the issue it would have stayed on cyl 4. I'm worried it's spun a lifter (I'm seeing lots of complaints about non-oem lifter trays causing such issues). Hopefully I don't have to pull the head again. I'm going to continue troubleshooting it tomorrow, see if the rocker moves at all when the engine turns over.

Trying not to delete AFM since I'm in California and they look for tunes/emissions related modifications with our smog checks. I'm willing to get creative with smog on the GTI, but this is my mom's truck and it'd be too much a hassle for her.