GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a glitch. Maybe disconnect the battery, wait 10 min, reset everything.
Could just be power draw. You know when you turn on a hair dryer and you see the lights dim? Maybe you're turning off a system when you reverse and it sends more power to the HVAC. Could very well be wrong
I investigated more (tried multiple scenarios) and it seems like what is happening is the recirculate function is being activated when moving in reverse... It's not immediate, like it won't happen when I put it in R (I have a stick if that matters), but only after I actually start moving backwards. It makes the same sounds as turning on the recirculate function and the air speeds up just a bit. Then it goes back a handful of seconds after I stop moving backwards. Very strange.

zrickety

The Fixer
Is there an 'after' photo?
Lol that is the after. They were really rough.
Here are before pics.
https://golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-set-of-4-vw-vision-wheels.372151/
3B16902E-37BF-4701-B09A-B95D55FE4C9B.jpeg

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Pickup date got bumped a day to Saturday due to some of the shop members being sick. Doesn't make much of a difference for me though since I don't think i'll have the tune by then anyways, definitely shoulda ordered that a few weeks ago :confused:. They just finished up the dump pipe for the wastegate, i'm sure people will love me for that one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221201-090144_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221201-090144_Instagram.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 40

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
I investigated more (tried multiple scenarios) and it seems like what is happening is the recirculate function is being activated when moving in reverse... It's not immediate, like it won't happen when I put it in R (I have a stick if that matters), but only after I actually start moving backwards. It makes the same sounds as turning on the recirculate function and the air speeds up just a bit. Then it goes back a handful of seconds after I stop moving backwards. Very strange.
Wait... like the recirculate air function in your HVAC system turns on?? That's some Grade A electric gremlin fuckery for sure

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Wait... like the recirculate air function in your HVAC system turns on?? That's some Grade A electric gremlin fuckery for sure
It sure sounds like it. The air sound increases even when the dial is on max already, and I can hear the slight mechanical sounds of the flaps (I'm assuming). The light on the recirculate button does not come on though...

zrickety

The Fixer

zrickety

The Fixer
It's funny how these repairs cascade. Nice work.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Installed front dashcam Blackvue DR750XPlus , with a blendmouunt ( not worth $100 , but looks really clean, better than the stick on mount that came with the camera. I will install rear camera at some other time

Tried to keep the wiring as neat as possible . Ran the cables along the wire harness in the A pillar . Forgot to take a picture, reinstall of A pillar frustrated me lol

Ran the camera battery pack wiring under the carpet and through the cut out where the seat harness is located. Used some velcro to secure the battery pack to floor.

Used an add a fuse and connected it to a accessory/switched fuse (cigarette lighter fuse #42 fuse)

Had to cut the fuse cover a bit , it was hitting the edge of the fuse. I could have orientated the fuse tap and avoid cutting the cover but wanted proper fuse orientation for current flow/ no fuse overload

Cover is mostly flush I might try to trim the plastic a bit more.

Attachments

• PXL_20221204_204640443.jpg
    PXL_20221204_204640443.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20221204_205430643.jpg
    PXL_20221204_205430643.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20221204_204742307.jpg
    PXL_20221204_204742307.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20221129_192146584.jpg
    PXL_20221129_192146584.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20221204_213222634.jpg
    PXL_20221204_213222634.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20221204_211126477.jpg
    PXL_20221204_211126477.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20221129_194302477.jpg
    PXL_20221129_194302477.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the car back from the shop last night, in addition the tune came in saturday as well so I have almost everything I need to get it running. One thing I overlooked is a MAP sensor. I need a 4 bar one. It's been ordered and i'm going to get a catch can as well at the recommendation of the shop. I know they're controversial but it is nice knowing I don't have a change of blowing 30+ PSI into the crank case if the check valve fails on the PCV. I went out today and pulled the turbo out as the shop taped off the exhaust manifold. This is their policy and they told me beforehand they were going to. It's so I have to disassemble everything and re-install which clears them in the event something breaks, I cant say they left a nut in the exhaust port or anything like that. They also do it so I know how everything is working and that it's setup correctly. It may be controversial but I really don't mind it as it only took about an hour to get the turbo out.

Waiting on an email from stratified to let me know what plugs and wastegate spring pressure I need as well, hopefully coming in tomorrow. Ideally i'll have it all back together tomorrow or wednesday and driving this week. Don't have any pics now but i'll post some later. Also shameless plug follow @mk6.pleb on instagram for more frequent updates.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Mid day update. Drove down to FCP to get my catch can this morning then got to work when I got home. Wastegate spring is installed, started with 1 bar and can adjust as needed once the boost gets upped. Started to get the turbo in but ran into an issue with clearance on one of the exhaust studs. I cut some of it off and it seemed to fit, but with no way to get the nut on. Ended up getting the turbo/manifold in place, then dropping the turbo off of it which should get me the room I need. Currently taking a break so I don't get tired and make mistakes, but the manifold is on with the top nuts torqued down. Once I go back out i'll get the bottom all squared away and then start fitting everything up. Hoping I can get the turbo/downpipe/charge pipe on tonight. I also noticed yesterday a small leak when vacuum testing the coolant system, so i'll have to dive into that as well to pinpoint it. Hopefully just a bad connection and not a busted line but we'll see

smanierre

Autocross Champion
More updates:

Realized after I torqued down the top nuts I had to loosen them to give enough play to get the bottom ones on. After that though the manifold went out without any issue. Next was to get the turbo onto the manifold so I could get the alignment right with the down pipe and boost pipes. It was a pain to get the vband clamp on because of how close the clearance was with that middle stud, but I was able to eventually. Even harder was holding the turbo up with one hand while trying to tighten the clamp with my other hand. After lots of swearing though I got it on there. Had to rotate a small bit for everything to line up right, and then tightened it all up. Coolant and oil lines were re-attached and everything is fitting well. I still need to route the boost lines for the wastegate and line up the wastegate and dump tube but after that everything should be in. I still need to track down the coolant system leak, and it kinda sounded like it was coming from the turbo, maybe one of the blocked off water ports on there. If I cant find it then i'll just look and see where the leakage is during the first startup. Not ideal but it is what it is. Gonna go back out again after I eat to finish up everything with the wastegate and maybe get the catch can installed as well. After that there isn't too much left. Can't think of the stuff now but I will before I go to start it.

Attachments

• 20221205_182345.jpg
    20221205_182345.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20221205_183730.jpg
    20221205_183730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20221205_183742.jpg
    20221205_183742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221205_185153.jpg
    20221205_185153.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20221205_185204.jpg
    20221205_185204.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221205_190602.jpg
    20221205_190602.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221205_190629.jpg
    20221205_190629.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 20221205_190809.jpg
    20221205_190809.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38

zrickety

The Fixer
More updates:

Realized after I torqued down the top nuts I had to loosen them to give enough play to get the bottom ones on. After that though the manifold went out without any issue. Next was to get the turbo onto the manifold so I could get the alignment right with the down pipe and boost pipes. It was a pain to get the vband clamp on because of how close the clearance was with that middle stud, but I was able to eventually. Even harder was holding the turbo up with one hand while trying to tighten the clamp with my other hand. After lots of swearing though I got it on there. Had to rotate a small bit for everything to line up right, and then tightened it all up. Coolant and oil lines were re-attached and everything is fitting well. I still need to route the boost lines for the wastegate and line up the wastegate and dump tube but after that everything should be in. I still need to track down the coolant system leak, and it kinda sounded like it was coming from the turbo, maybe one of the blocked off water ports on there. If I cant find it then i'll just look and see where the leakage is during the first startup. Not ideal but it is what it is. Gonna go back out again after I eat to finish up everything with the wastegate and maybe get the catch can installed as well. After that there isn't too much left. Can't think of the stuff now but I will before I go to start it.
Yeah, if you're talking about the exhaust manifold the service manual actually says not to touch the bottom ones. I made the mistake of removing mine, then used a mirror to put them back where they were supposed to be.