GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Speaking of dashcams, anyone have a good recommendation for a front and rear? I feel like I should get one now that my car has a small bit of money into it
I got the blackvueDR750X+ along with their battery pack and a blendmount . If you are on a budget I would probably look at Viofo. Based on the research I did almost all dashcam manufactures use the same sony sensor so the image quality will be comparable unless they do some additional software enhancements.

Vortex Radar on YouTube has alot of videos about various dashcams
https://youtube.com/@VortexRadar

zrickety

The Fixer
Speaking of dashcams, anyone have a good recommendation for a front and rear? I feel like I should get one now that my car has a small bit of money into it
Update your insurance company with what it's worth to you or you'll never see that money.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Update your insurance company with what it's worth to you or you'll never see that money.
I'll try this but I feel like they're just going to tell me to go fuck myself

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Did a bit of an oopsies today. Went to go to the gym and got about 100 feet before my car started smoking like crazy. Pulled over and looked underneath and oil was coming out the front of the motor. Limped it back home quick and got under it and the oil was coming from the oil separator on the front lower portion of the block. Realized one of my catch can lines froze up and that was the easiest place for the pressure to escape. Ppulled off the can and thawed everything out and drained it. Pulled the oil separator off to inspect the seal and it all looked ok. I had to dump all the coolant to get to the last bolt though so now I need to get more and re-fill. I think once I put it back together everything should be fine, but i'll definitely need to be more careful when temps are below freezing and hit everything with the heat gun before starting to make sure it's all thawed out and pressure can escape.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
vw1221.jpg
vw1222.jpg

Haven't driven the car in a while. Ended up getting a staph infection in my right leg, which was super fun! I had a parts cache of a bunch of front end goodness for items that were at or past their service life at 268,000kms. My buddy knocked them off for me. After an alignment it's new car feels. Rear end is functionally fine - I'll do the same overhaul in the spring.
  • Wheel Bearings - front D+P - both required heat/chisel/cutting for some bolts that were rusted/rounded out. Original - just started fail.
  • Control Arms/Ball Joints
  • Strut Mounts/Strut Bearings - front D+P - drivers front bearing was shot - had TTRS mounts - replaced as such
  • Endlinks - second time replaced
  • Tie Rod - drivers side
  • Oil Change - LiquiMoly Molygen
  • Winter mode

Attachments

• vw1221.jpg
    vw1221.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 34
  • vw1222.jpg
    vw1222.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 34

king1138

Go Kart Champion
Damn, do you keep it inside? I feel like even 50/50 coolant would freeze at those temps, or at least get close to it. Those IATs must be money though
Nope! All outside, cold AF. If it hadn't also snowed a few inches, I would have been loving the boost.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the car assembled again today. Pressure tested the coolant system after dumping it and it looks good. Also re-routed my front drivers brake line as it was rubbing on the barrel of the tire. Gonna grab some coolant tomorrow to fill back up and start up again, hopefully without any issues.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Started the car up and she's running good with no leaks. I had a misfire on cyl 1, but found out its because the coil pack clip is broken so it backed off. Pushed it back on good and it's fine now. Only 80 miles until boost time

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Started the day of good by waking up early and going to the gym. Did an inspection of the car once I got there and noticed something dripping from the engine bay. Opened up the hood and the engine bay around the intake/trans was covered in fuel. Identified a pinhole leak in the low pressure fuel line to the HPFP. I let the car cool down as much as possible to prevent as much heat as possible on the drive home. I ended up getting an empty waterbottle and taping it to the fuel line so the fuel would go into there instead of just the engine bay. I was able to limp it home without anything catching on fire. The whole waterbottle filled up with gas and some leaked out as well, so it was coming out pretty good. Got a new hose i'll put on later tonight so the fix is easy enough. Hopefully the last hurdle I need to go through as i've only got 40 miles left until I can start the datalogging process.

Update: The genius at the store gave me some flimsy tube and assured me it'd work. Had my doubts but figured i'd try it. Instantly ruptured and sprayed fuel everywhere, so going to get some actual fuel line later hopefully. I need to learn to stop trusting auto part store employees

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_133801_469.jpg
    IMG_20221229_133801_469.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221229_133751_484.jpg
    IMG_20221229_133751_484.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Started the day of good by waking up early and going to the gym. Did an inspection of the car once I got there and noticed something dripping from the engine bay. Opened up the hood and the engine bay around the intake/trans was covered in fuel. Identified a pinhole leak in the low pressure fuel line to the HPFP. I let the car cool down as much as possible to prevent as much heat as possible on the drive home. I ended up getting an empty waterbottle and taping it to the fuel line so the fuel would go into there instead of just the engine bay. I was able to limp it home without anything catching on fire. The whole waterbottle filled up with gas and some leaked out as well, so it was coming out pretty good. Got a new hose i'll put on later tonight so the fix is easy enough. Hopefully the last hurdle I need to go through as i've only got 40 miles left until I can start the datalogging process.
Wow. Scary bro. Glad that you caught it before it could get even worse.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Wow. Scary bro. Glad that you caught it before it could get even worse.
Yeah i'm definitely happy i'm in the habit of inspecting the car before and after a drive. Must have happened on the way there as it wasn't leaking when I left. Also really lucky it was a short drive and I was close enough to limp it home, if that was on the highway I probably woulda caught it on fire, or at least been stranded out of gas if I was lucky

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the new fuel line on and so far so good. I cycled the ignition a bunch to keep priming the pump as I figured that's close to if not the highest pressure it'll see and no issues. I went for a drive and pulled over frequently to check everything and it all looked good. Went on it harder and harder after each stop working my way up to 10lbs of boost while getting on the highway all without issue. Should hit my mileage threshold tomorrow so i'm planning on doing the maf calibration and first WOT pull

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yeah i'm definitely happy i'm in the habit of inspecting the car before and after a drive. Must have happened on the way there as it wasn't leaking when I left. Also really lucky it was a short drive and I was close enough to limp it home, if that was on the highway I probably woulda caught it on fire, or at least been stranded out of gas if I was lucky
I started doing that too. Inspecting the GTI before and after a drive. Especially after tuning and modding the car, but now I do this to every other car I own too. It's a habit now. I have my CMV license (Classs AZ in Canada), so I'm familiar with pre-trip/post-trip inspections. Know yourself, Know your car.