GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I make daily driving a regular track event, that seems to work pretty well lol
Just replaced the coolant expansion tank after a low level warning last week. Top nipple was leaking, this is the 4th plastic cooling part to fail. They are the Achilles heel of all modern cars. I'm waiting for the plastic pipes to the water pump to go bad next.
I hate that fucking thing. I get microfissures in mine due to it being a thin piece of cheap garbage and heat getting to it as well. Eventually coolant vapor escapes enough to trigger the light too. That's when I take a closer look and find that I can push on small areas and watch it crack and bow inward. Replaced it maybe 3-4 years ago and the new one is also doing it.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Hey, here's a question, and open to everyone who's changed their MT fluid. Were there sealing washers on the plugs for the transmission? When I changed mine after buying the car I ordered the magnetic ones for the drain and the fill port from ECS, the plugs are 22mm and they sent 27mm washers, so I just reused the ones I had to get the car up and running again. They were leaking though, and worse than I realized I guess. I just went to drain and fill again since mine is heavily tracked tried to order the correct washers from FCP....they sent me another set of 27mm and actually said on the bag "DSG".

Just called the dealer and they stated it shows no sealing washers serviced for my car, so I am wondering if they don't require it (weird but I have seen it) and the previous owner just put some on there because he thought there should be some.

Just trying to decide if I should try to find some copper ones at Menards or not to use one at all based on the info the parts guy was seeing.
There are no sealing washers (drain/fill) on the manual transmissions for the GTI either. However, I believe it is suggested that you replace the plug after removing it. Coincidently, the diffs and transfer case of my 08' Touareg are similar in that there are no sealing washers on the plugs and it is also suggested to replace them as well. Maybe the ECS magnetic plugs are different. I would call ECS and ask them.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
There are no sealing washers (drain/fill) on the manual transmissions for the GTI either. However, I believe it is suggested that you replace the plug after removing it. Coincidently, the diffs and transfer case of my 08' Touareg are similar in that there are no sealing washers on the plugs and it is also suggested to replace them as well. Maybe the ECS magnetic plugs are different. I would call ECS and ask them.

Eh, I don't hate ECS but don't see them as experts either. Clearly they think their design does need washers since they put some in the kit and would be a reusable plug even if they can't figure out a 22mm plug can't use a 27mm washer LOL. I think I will just go ahead and source the correct size washer in the hardware aisle and try that. If it doesn't work I guess it's back to OEM.

And yeah, the diff drains and fills on the R all have washers but they can not be removed and the plugs are listed as required replacement. Engineers just can't pick a lane I guess. LMAO

jedred1

jedred1
random info: VW parts dude told me that if a part number ended in an odd number it is for the left side and if it ends with an even number it is for the right side. I had to replace my right side under body panel part # 1K0-825-202-BN as it was mostly ripen away and acting like a snow plow

vw1300

Finished flywheel/clutch/rear main seal job. Idles much smoother now. I added some notes to the DIY thread in the engine/drivetrain section.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Neuspeed RSE12 gunmetal, coated with Gtechniq C5, and wrapped in PS4S
IMG_9061.jpeg

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Installed these headlights today

70259141563__E9C08CE6-C17D-46B2-9697-B5D4D778013C.jpeg

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Ooh those are sick, what brand?
And what are those side markers??
They’re vland (hoping I don’t have any issues!) and the side markers are from Amazon. I just searched LED side markers.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Literally never ordered a part faster, those side markers were only $18 😮 also ordered a tail light bulb refresh kit, coil pack harness protector, and some new hardware for mounting my oil pan shield.

Also, my car is (ALLEGEDLY) coming home next week 🙌 unfortunately, I'm in a tire conundrum. Too hot for winters, and my summers are too wide. I've pretty much accepted that I need to roll my quarter panels and repair the pinch welds later. Anyone have advice on how to minimize the damage to them? I'm going to use heat guns and take my time. I do plan on wrapping it later this year so if I damage the paint I won't cry, that's future, richer me's problem.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
they look awesome! We’re you able to install those side markers without removing the wheels? do they need to be coded?
Yeah, you just turn the wheels and the small panel is exposed. No coding necessary. They have a little resistor thing (?) also attached that helps the car not throw errors.

zrickety

The Fixer
I need to roll my quarter panels and repair the pinch welds later. Anyone have advice on how to minimize the damage to them? I'm going to use heat guns and take my time.
As someone who tried this and ruined my quarter panel, expect the worst. I don't think you can 'minimize' the damage, just do what you're going to do and bodywork it after the fact. Better yet, just cut it and put some flares all around.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
As someone who tried this and ruined my quarter panel, expect the worst. I don't think you can 'minimize' the damage, just do what you're going to do and bodywork it after the fact. Better yet, just cut it and put some flares all around.
Two of my friends have tried and both broke the pinch welds in the rear. I'd avoid trying to roll the rears at all costs.