GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

What is a worn out Mk6 GTI worth?

Rolling_GTI

So I am fairly certain I have the highest mileage MK6 out there at 270,000 miles at the time of this post. So I pose a serious question to you all, as I am unsure the answer.

What is a worn out Mk6 GTI worth?

In a couple years I will finally be ready to part with my car I bought new. The motor will need repacement around 300k I feel. Suspension will also be worn out around the same time. Either I will replace the clutch again before 300k, or I am assuming it will also be needed. Interior of my car is near perfect, exterior, very slight rust on front quarters, only surface, I have it sanded and painted every few years, this is from road salt, unavoidable.

So needing, motor, clutch, and all suspension, what is a 300k mile GTI worth?

uglybastard

Go Kart Champion
even with a new/refurb'd motor, probably only a few grand. leave the clutch until it slips. if you're moving on anyway, it wouldn't be worth putting that money and effort into it if you're just going to part ways with it.

Tony48

Ready to race!
When you're ready to sell put back to stock as much as is feasible. Sell the car as-is and sell aftermarket parts separately.

With that kind of mileage there's no point putting engine, clutch, suspension, etc, and time into it unless they have completely failed. They will not raise the value of the car much. I think after 300k miles it will be fair to say you got your money's worth out of the car. Anything you can get back by selling is a bonus.

SnailPower

Go Kart Champion
Yeah at that mileage, the car is probably equal value to a lawn mower. I mean, if your interior looks good, that's a plus, but the body is probably weather beaten as you basically noted and with all the other mechanical work probably needed, your luckily if you can get maybe a 700 bucks.

I'm not entirely sure about GTIs but I know Jetta's don't hold their value. They are great cars to buy as a consumer because you get a lot for what you pay, but selling them must suck. My buddy got a 2014 Jetta fully loaded used with 72k miles for 9500 bucks 2? 3? years ago? Then his mother crashed it like 3 weeks after buying it.

My wife picked up a fully loaded 2002 Jetta maybe 7 years ago for 5 grand with only 60k miles on it.

alpha3

Ready to race!
But..........what's your objective? Do you love the car and want to keep it...? Or you've had enough, and just want to fix it enough to dispose of it? You say the interior is pretty much perfect. I think even replacing all the worn out stuff is way cheaper than buying new if you're fine with that. I've had the same thoughts, although your miles are WAAAYY higher than mine. My car is mint inside, paint also except for stone chips in front. For me, I love the car, if the engine blew and it needed brakes/bushings/whatever, I'd rather do that than replace the whole car. That's just me. I don't have rust, and your being up north with salt and ice may make keeping it a bad idea. just sort of thinking out loud here...

Rolling_GTI

$4k value, ouch. I knew it wouldn't be worth a lot, not trying to make a buck, but want to price it realistically also. Car served me well, I traveled a LOT in this car, saw 95% of the USA. The GTI doesn't owe me anything I figure. Loved it, but it's time to move on after 7 years. I am not wanting to continue with it, as I am on the hunt for my dream car to build.

I'll post the car here when I am ready to let her go, so if anyone is interested. I'm a bit anal on maintenance, spent over $70,000 on it. Car not weathered, been repainted 5 times now. I replace things way before needed, as I wanted a car that could go across the country at the drop of a hat, and it has many times. Thanks for the opinions, I needed some input. Search my username for my 250,000 mile post to see a list of what I've had fail in the lifetime, not a lot really.

Uberryan

Banned
Either drive it into the ground, or sell it for what you can when you're ready. Mileage that high doesn't translate well to a buyer's market, and trust me... it's a buyer's market. If the car is sentimental and means enough to you, garage it or toss a cover over it and keep it parked until you need it or can make use of it.

SnailPower

Go Kart Champion
$4k value, ouch. I knew it wouldn't be worth a lot, not trying to make a buck, but want to price it realistically also. Car served me well, I traveled a LOT in this car, saw 95% of the USA. The GTI doesn't owe me anything I figure. Loved it, but it's time to move on after 7 years. I am not wanting to continue with it, as I am on the hunt for my dream car to build.

I'll post the car here when I am ready to let her go, so if anyone is interested. I'm a bit anal on maintenance, spent over $70,000 on it. Car not weathered, been repainted 5 times now. I replace things way before needed, as I wanted a car that could go across the country at the drop of a hat, and it has many times. Thanks for the opinions, I needed some input. Search my username for my 250,000 mile post to see a list of what I've had fail in the lifetime, not a lot really.
This is always the hardest pill to swallow but also why I can never hear enough that cars depreciate in value. You'll never get what you paid back. It's an immediate losing investment (not talking classics here or exotics). That basically holds true when the car loses what? 15% of it's value off the lot from new?

Ultimately, I always say to people that think I'm crazy when I add another car part here and there, that I am paying to enjoy it in the moment. I'm also paying for something I am going to enjoy and not rely on ever getting it back someday.

A car is very similar to a PC building (my big hobby). You aren't expecting to build this super PC and then sell it for a killing a year or two down the road. It's only worth what you are paying at the time you bought your parts. It's also not worth saving up to buy a part here, a part there, rather than buy it all at once. The part you bought initially, will be cheaper by the time you have money to buy the next part. It's not worth it waiting around.