GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the best All-Season tire at this point?

Nevsky

I'm in desperate need of a new set of tires and can't quite make up my mind on what to get. I live in Pittsburgh, so I do have to deal with snow, but I simply don't have the money to have an additional set of winter tires. I also have never really struggled with all seasons in the snow. Right now I'm on the fence between the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires. Does anyone have any experience with these tires? I would appreciate any and all feedback.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've only done research at this point, but I'll be going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. So far, it's the highest and most consistently well-reviewed all season I've found.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'm running Conti DWS 06 tires. For my money they are a great tire. When these wear out I'll probably buy another set of them. I had a set of Pirelli P Zero all seasons on anther car & did not care for them at all.

SJC

Ready to race!
There isn’t a really good all season tire IMO.
Summer tires on rims
Winter tires on a 2nd set of rims
Is the only way to go.
Get a set of used winter tires for now and save up for summer tires in the spring.

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
There isn’t a really good all season tire IMO.
Summer tires on rims
Winter tires on a 2nd set of rims
Is the only way to go.
It a set of used winter tires for now and save up for summer tires in the spring.

I agree with you. When the roads are bad I take my wife's MINI that has Michelin IceX-3 tires or I stay home. That's one of the perks of being retired.

Since the OP said he can't afford a second set all seasons have to be the answer for him. I'd guess over in Pitt he gets less snow that you do in Ontario (the great white north).

The Michelin Pilot AS 3+ is a good tire. It may be better on dry roads, but I feel the DWS06 is better in the rain & winter slop. Just my .02.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I agree with you. When the roads are bad I take my wife's MINI that has Michelin IceX-3 tires or I stay home. That's one of the perks of being retired.

Since the OP said he can't afford a second set all seasons have to be the answer for him. I'd guess over in Pitt he gets less snow that you do in Ontario (the great white north).

The Michelin Pilot AS 3+ is a good tire. It may be better on dry roads, but I feel the DWS06 is better in the rain & winter slop. Just my .02.
Agreed, having driven in the winter with the Michelin Pilot AS 3+ through and around Pittsburg in the winter, I can say this is NOT a tire that you should even consider for daily snow use, unless you get caught out inadvertently. The compound is good on cold wet roads but not snow, this is a three season tire not four season (snow).

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 maybe better suited but I never own those so can't comment; except to say Continental Tires are a lot cheaper than Michelin Tires, SO if the OP is on a budget, then ruled out Michelin Tires they expensive... .

Last edited:

ce4

Ready to race!
DWS06 is what you want

Yes this ^^^^^

I still had about 30% tread left on the pirelli pzero nero a/s and just couldn't stand em anymore. Decided on the DWS06 and haven't looked back. Granted we don't get that bad of winters in the midwest anymore but these definitly work for what we get.

I do miss having a dedicated summer/winter set like i had on my old truck, but for now the DWS06 will do until moneies is saved back up for 2 sets of shoes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Conti or GoodYear .. just be aware, conti's notoriously have soft sidewalls, so if you have potholes, watch out... I have been very happy with Good year A/S. IMHO, if going A/S and need snow traction to some extent, go more touring/grand touring, than high performance.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yes this ^^^^^

I still had about 30% tread left on the pirelli pzero nero a/s and just couldn't stand em anymore.

I couldn't imagine a run flat as an all season tire. They're barely an acceptable dry weather tire. I had a set of continental z rated tires once and like you couldn't wait to wear them out before getting rid of them. I think I swapped them out after 15,000 miles I hated them so much. They really took all the fun out of the car. They're great for soccer moms in their BMW's but not a GTI.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
I've only done research at this point, but I'll be going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. So far, it's the highest and most consistently well-reviewed all season I've found.

Agreed. Got a set for my GTI earlier this year. Super happy with it. Really well balanced tires; grip (wet & dry), comfort, look.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Conti or GoodYear .. just be aware, conti's notoriously have soft sidewalls, so if you have potholes, watch out... I have been very happy with Good year A/S. IMHO, if going A/S and need snow traction to some extent, go more touring/grand touring, than high performance.

I’ve never had any issues with the sidewall durability on mine. I’ve hit some pretty nasty potholes and the DWS06 have held up great. Will be going to a dedicated summer tire next year as these are finally at the end of their life after 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
From what I remember the Conti DWS had softer sidewalls that drew many complaints. Conti then came out with the DWS06 that has improved sidewall stiffness. I like the ones I'm driving on.