GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What model head unit is this?

jontalk

Ready to race!
I'm in the bay area and a VW Audi auto wrecker is parting out a 2010 Golf similar to mine but has a different head unit. I have a very basic mono LCD unit which I believe is called the Premium 7 and want to upgrade. I know this unit doesn't have nav but I would think it's a step up. They want $200, free shipping and if I ship my head unit to them they give an add'l $50 for the exchange.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2010 Golf Radio.6.16.jpg
    2010 Golf Radio.6.16.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 269

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
this is the RCD510, its just a radio with 6.5 color screen, you might get HD radio too if you know the revision.

jontalk

Ready to race!
I might get HD radio if I know the revision? Sorry not sure what that means. From research specs for the RCD510 say it has a 6 CD changer as well as satellite radio. Is it worth $200? Obviously if there's no real benefit upgrading from the Premium 7 I don't want to bother. Thanks much.

jontalk

Ready to race!
Thanks but again not sure what AC revision means.. I'm a noobie here. They just sent me another photo of the bottom with the part number etc. Wouldn't I need the VIN in order to get the code to make the radio work? I tried uploading the photo but it must be too big. On the top of the label it says 1K0 035 180 AC, SW 0043, HW H13 then below that it says VW Z4Z7K11553471. Part Number 28252074. Thanks again guys.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
The revision means just that. It has been through a few revisions over the years with each one adding something extra for better performance or more convince or whatever. If you do a google search there is a page that explains what has changed through each revision and the way you know which revision the rcd510 is through the part number. I believe the last two letters in the part number indicates which revision it is, like for example it would look something like 510225658AC or 51022458777AF.

jontalk

Ready to race!
OK got it though I don't see a PN similar to those you mention that begins with 510. On the trip piece there's a sticker with PN 28188402. The label of this unit beneath where it says Made in Portugal it says "Prem-8"; then the Bar Code number shows: 80AC282520741023500463

Not sure what else to say since the PN you're mentioning just isn't there. I can get the VIN from the auto wrecker though.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
The part number I said doesn't exist lol. I just made up numbers just to give you an idea of what the part number will be like.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
1K0 035 180 AC is the part number you are looking for and the AC at the end tells you it's revision AC.

jontalk

Ready to race!
OK guys thanks though AC revision doesn't mean much to me. Bottom line: Since I have the Premium 7 now does it make sense to invest $200 + installation or should I stick with what I have? The color touch screen is nice but what I'm after is HD radio and better sound quality

dodecadynamo

Ready to race!
OK guys thanks though AC revision doesn't mean much to me. Bottom line: Since I have the Premium 7 now does it make sense to invest $200 + installation or should I stick with what I have? The color touch screen is nice but what I'm after is HD radio and better sound quality

You're not going to get better sound quality, as all of the stock head units are pretty much the same as far as that goes. Whether HD radio is worth $200 is kind of up to you.

jontalk

Ready to race!
Thanks my friend I appreciate knowing that. I can certainly find other ways to invest $200 that are more beneficial such as 18" wheels or other fun stuff. I appreciate knowing before pulling the trigger.