GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil weight do you guys use?

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got a 2013 2.5l Base.

Took a look under the hood today, there was like 0 oil in it. I didn't see anything on the cap or under the hood on what weight to use, read most people use 5w-30.

Do these motors drink a lot of oil? The previous owners weren't driving the car hardly for the last year, hopefully nothing is damaged from the low oil. I didn't hear anything when the car was running, and I never saw an oil light or anything like that. So maybe that's good? If it reached dangerously low, would a light have flipped on?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Oil is one of those subjects where you ask 10 people you’ll get 10 answers. Whatever you use make sure it says that it meets VW 502/504 specifications.
Myself - I use Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40 and do oil about every 6-7 KMs I buy it by the case online which tends to be cheaper and covers my year, which is about 3 changes based on what I drive. I‘ve used Castrol Edge and Motul in the past as well. In almost 10 years of driving I‘ve never had to top up. Yeah 10-30 is rec’d. Use a good filter - Mann or OEM. How many miles are on the car? Did you get service records from the previous owner? Leaking anything down the block, on driveway etc? Good idea to let the car warm up before you get on it well. I’d check it every time you fill up on gas after you do your first oil change until you get an idea on how the car is running and get a feel for it.

These i5’s are notoriously stout.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I got most of the service records from the previous owner. The car has about 168k on it, and the past year they didn't do a lot of driving. I believe they drove it less than 6k the last 18 months.

I haven't noticed any leaks or odors from the car yet, but I haven't taken off that splash guard underneath the motor yet.

I always let it warm up for a bit, I do mostly short trips, so I have to give it an extra few minutes so I don't build up a lot of moisture. It seems to be really thirsty on gas when idle.

Right after I posted this, I read about the VW required oil, and I topped it off yesterday with non-euro oil, so I am going to change the oil this week, it's past due anyways.

About how much oil do you have to add to yours in between oil changes?

Is there anything that you didn't like about the Castrol Edge? That is what I can get near me, unless I do a special order. I've been using that stuff (american grade) in my grocery-getter for a while now, seems alright.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I got most of the service records from the previous owner. The car has about 168k on it, and the past year they didn't do a lot of driving. I believe they drove it less than 6k the last 18 months.

I haven't noticed any leaks or odors from the car yet, but I haven't taken off that splash guard underneath the motor yet.

I always let it warm up for a bit, I do mostly short trips, so I have to give it an extra few minutes so I don't build up a lot of moisture. It seems to be really thirsty on gas when idle.

Right after I posted this, I read about the VW required oil, and I topped it off yesterday with non-euro oil, so I am going to change the oil this week, it's past due anyways.

About how much oil do you have to add to yours in between oil changes?

Is there anything that you didn't like about the Castrol Edge? That is what I can get near me, unless I do a special order. I've been using that stuff (american grade) in my grocery-getter for a while now, seems alright.
I've never had to top off. It's not that there's really anything wrong with the Castrol, I mean it's not an exotic or complicated, highly strung engine. When I switched to the Liqui Moly the engine tone was smoother, as in a bit less clatter, the mpg's went up a tick. There's high mileage and high change interval Liqui Moly as well. Should be noted that I'm tuned, rev hang eliminated, and a small bump in HP and TQ, and run 91 octane as well. I also tend to push my car when the opportunity arises and do some spirited driving on the weekends.

If Castrol is your option.....you'll be fine. If the coil packs are original and you don't know when the spark plugs have been changed....might be a good opportunity to breath some new life into the engine at your mileage.

dietpeachfresca

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up 10q of the castrol hoping I could change it today, got a good promotion at advance for it. I'll definitely get some of the high mileage Molly for one of the next oil changes though

Previous owner said he did the plugs about 50k ago, so I was thinking maybe this or next month to do those. Coil packs are probably stock, so I might bang those out with the plugs.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up 10q of the castrol hoping I could change it today, got a good promotion at advance for it. I'll definitely get some of the high mileage Molly for one of the next oil changes though

Previous owner said he did the plugs about 50k ago, so I was thinking maybe this or next month to do those. Coil packs are probably stock, so I might bang those out with the plugs.
Good Stuff!!

There's a ton of info on here. Once you get a feel for the car and what you think needs to be addressed you can bang stuff off in your timeline. First and foremost enjoy the car!!!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Castrol 5w40 for me. If the car is using oil move to 10w40 and it should help a little. I don't think there is a VW 502/504 spec oil in that weight but not sure it really matters with a high mileage car that's out of warranty. Just make sure your using full synthetic.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
5.5 litres/quarts of 5W-30 Castrol Edge every oil change. We've sent the oil in for oil analysis several times, with stock, stage 1 and with stage 2 Tunes, conclusion is this engine runs cool, doesn't really stress the oil.

We change the oil at 8k km. or 5k miles VW 502/504 spec oil is for those who push the oil until the idiot light tells them to change it; the spec relates to the detergent pack and how well the oil can suspend the dirt particles. Its your money, your car, its your choice what oil you use, with this car it doesn't matter it will serve you well. With the Stage 2 Tune we spin this engine to 7500 all the time, no issues.

Save your money, No need to change the coil packs if only 50k on them, plugs as well; they last a really long while on the 2.5.

Last edited: