GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's draining my battery?

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
I own a 2012 GTI and for some reason my car battery keeps draining. I already replaced my battery, the car will go for months without it needing to be jumped. Is there any recalls that I might need to look into? The only electrical upgrades are the P3 cars gauge, depo tails and deautokey license plate lights. Anyone know what can be causing this. Thanks in advance

Also, can vagcom help identify the problem if needed?

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
I own a 2012 GTI and for some reason my car battery keeps draining. I already replaced my battery, the car will go for months without it needing to be jumped. Is there any recalls that I might need to look into? The only electrical upgrades are the P3 cars gauge, depo tails and deautokey license plate lights. Anyone know what can be causing this. Thanks in advance

Also, can vagcom help identify the problem if needed?

How many miles do you have on the car?

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Something is likely not installed properly and may be pulling power while ignition is not on. I would disconnect one item at a time and see if it helps. Also weather and how often you drive it can impact the performance of the battery if you got a less expensive battery.

I would start with the P3 gauge as the other items are plug in play to existing harnesses and likely can get screwed up too easily.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
I replaced the OEM battery because it was doing the same thing. So when I got this new battery I thought it would fix the problem. I don't drive my car anymore I just turn it on for awhile and pull it out of the garage then put it back in. I have my battery at Advance Auto Parts for an over night charge. As for miles its around 36,000

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
I replaced the OEM battery because it was doing the same thing. So when I got this new battery I thought it would fix the problem. I don't drive my car anymore I just turn it on for awhile and pull it out of the garage then put it back in. I have my battery at Advance Auto Parts for an over night charge. As for miles its around 36,000

If you're running low on battery you should drive it around for 10-15 just like when you have to jump the car. Just starting it for a moment might actually hurt the car more due to high charge needed to start.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense. I'll go ahead and start to drive it every other day just to stretch her legs. Should I get the alternator checked out?

How long can a car sit without turning it on? The reason why I ask is cause I'm going to be leaving for work for awhile.

plat

Ready to race!
Makes sense. I'll go ahead and start to drive it every other day just to stretch her legs. Should I get the alternator checked out?

How long can a car sit without turning it on? The reason why I ask is cause I'm going to be leaving for work for awhile.

It looks like you're the type of car owner that needs a battery conditioner/charger. Battery chargers/Minders from CTEK is highly recommended. Pick the model that will suit your battery.

If you don't have time to drive your car for 15 to 30 minutes several times a week, battery chargers/conditioners will keep your battery topped up all the time. You just need to plug it in a power outlet and leave it until you need to use the car.

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a P3 gauge on my Mk6 R and it would drain my battery after 4-5 days. I removed it and sold it, battery never drained after that.

The P3 must constantly drain a small amount of battery power.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
^ that's crazy, is it possible to unplug the P3 when the cars off and plug it in when I'm ready to drive it. So it won't drain the battery?

BlueRockMagnet

Like others have said you will most likely benefit from a battery tender. Does not matter what battery you have, it will not last long if do not drive frequently. For the P3 you can probably install an on/off switch or connect it through an "mini add a fuse" to the brakes. Anything that completely shuts down with the car off will work. This way you won't have to remember to shut if off.

mayanktanwar

Battery drains by defective alternator diode. If your alternator has a bad diode, your battery can drain. The bad diode can even cause the circuit to charge even when the engine is shut off. Now your car battery is working well then not need to replace it. If you have to facing battery draining problem again and again then replace it.