GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Rubbing on Coilovers

brockarledge

Hello everybody,
Recently I have been noticing this rubbing noise on the passenger side of my Gti. About 2 weeks ago I investigated and noticed the inside lip of my wheel was rubbing on the coilover. My first thought was that it was my sway bar end links being the incorrect length because of the coilovers. I ordered new, adjustable ones and installed them today at the correct length and I’m still having the same issue. I raised the car about 1/2” just to see if that would help which lt did a little bit but still rubbing. I also threw on the stock wheels because they are narrower than my summer wheels. Still rubbing on the stock wheel as much as my summer wheels. I’ve been running the aftermarket wheels and coilovers for about 7 months without any issues until about a month ago when I started to notice the rubbing noise. I’m not sure if something got bent in the suspension or my alignment got thrown off but Im not sure what is going on. I could just throw on some spacers and would probably stop the rubbing but that not really what I want to do and I like how the fitment is on my car anyway. If anybody could give me suggestions to what could be happening or some things to try I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

torga

Autocross Champion
Are you rubbing on front or rear? If rear, you can add a bit more positive camber to alleviate the rubbing on the shock body. If front, you're kinda out of luck. If it's only rubbing on one side of the front, your subframe may have shifted and you'll have to get an alignment. Or pony up for camber plates or SuperPro ball joints.

brockarledge

It’s the front that’s rubbing. I can see that it has rubbed just a little bit on the drivers side but mainly the passenger side

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
If it wasn't rubbing and now it is, something has moved. Front subframes are known to shift and they are how you are to adjust the stock cars camber from the factory; that could have potentially caused the alignment to go out-of-wack enough to cause an interference issue between the wheel and coil body. If it was me, I'd get an alignment and go from there.