GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to Change Engine Coolant?

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
The Warranty and Maintenance manual for my 2013 GTI says absolutely nothing about when to change the engine coolant. However, the dealership where I take it for service says it should be changed every two years.

Does anybody know when, if ever, the engine coolant needs to be changed?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The Warranty and Maintenance manual for my 2013 GTI says absolutely nothing about when to change the engine coolant. However, the dealership where I take it for service says it should be changed every two years.

Does anybody know when, if ever, the engine coolant needs to be changed?
Every 2 years is about right.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Do I know? No.

But just because it's on the internet doesnt make it true either. If I were I your shoes I would do more digging around of old posts

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Some information I received from another forum is that the coolant is supposed to last the lifetime of the car. Do you know if this is correct?

That’s what VW says about the manual transmission fluid also…lifetime fluid my ass.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Flushing Every 50k doesnt sound bad... remove contaminants, ensure your dilution of glycol to water is in check.

Lifetime fluids seems like a great marketing ploy.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Two years seems like overkill, IMO. Lots of shops recommend 5,000 km oil changes as well.

It’s a long-life coolant, so should last a fair while. Most OAT coolant manufacturers say 4-5 years.

I’ve changed the coolant on mine when it’s been convenient: anywhere from two to five years.

I think every four years would be plenty.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
That’s what VW says about the manual transmission fluid also…lifetime fluid my ass.
Flushing Every 50k doesnt sound bad... remove contaminants, ensure your dilution of glycol to water is in check.

Lifetime fluids seems like a great marketing ploy.
Two years seems like overkill, IMO. Lots of shops recommend 5,000 km oil changes as well.

It’s a long-life coolant, so should last a fair while. Most OAT coolant manufacturers say 4-5 years.

I’ve changed the coolant on mine when it’s been convenient: anywhere from two to five years.

I think every four years would be plenty.

The car has 47k km (29k miles) on it, and is 10 years old now. I'm pretty sure the coolant has never been changed.

The level is still fine:
IMG_7276.jpeg

It is still clear and the color looks good, as far as I can tell:
IMG_7279.jpeg

Do you still think it needs to be changed?

AM407

Autocross Champion
Yeah, without a service history I’d just go ahead and change it. Can’t hurt.

I’d also be changing all the other fluids as well, just for peace of mind and to have a baseline going forward.