GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where do you stash your pistol when you're driving?

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I also keep mine in my underseat drawer. It is not exactly easy to get to quickly, but nice to have it on me. I CHL it when going to walmart or other shady locations

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
inb4 Anti's invade thread.

OP, I don't know the laws where you are but here in Cali if the gun isn't completely covered in the vehicle it's considered open carry. So say you put the holster between your seat bolster and center console, you will need to put something over it to cover it. That's just here though, Open carry was banned here. :(

Damn you hippies/commies!

Washington State.
RCW 9.41.050:
Code:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to
carry a concealed pistol and:
 (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person,
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or
(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and
 concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
The above only applies if the weapon is LOADED (including Condition 3, rounds in magazine, chamber empty). If the weapon is unloaded, it doesn't apply.

Why be discreet? Wouldn't an approaching carjacker turn the other way if he saw it right on top of the dash?

Depends. I prefer to be discreet, as the displayed weapon may draw undue attention. And if said carjacker happens to be armed, I don't want him getting the idea to start shooting first. And should I be stopped by a LEO, I don't want him to get the idea to conduct a felony stop (ordered from car at gunpoint). I trust the average LEO much less than I would trust any fellow service member. I've known quite a few of them to be power tripping, paranoid, gun happy assholes.

Just a note to my fellow Californians who may be reading this thread. The only legal place for a firearm in your car is in the trunk, locked. Don't risk it. It's not worth the headache with the authorities.

Unless you have a CPL. Which, in quite a few counties, is a PITA to get...have to "demonstrate good cause for issuance of the license" in San Diego County, which basically amounts to needing it for your job, being a retired cop, and in many cases, be a political friend of the Sheriff...

I keep one in my door pocket within reach of left hand when driving, one between the seat and console for my right hand, one under the passenger seat in case I'm sitting over there, one in each seatback pocket (because sometimes I vacuum out the back seats and I need to be protected), one in the cargo cover net if I'm in loading stuff in the back of the car, and then of course one in the engine bay and tucked up above the subframe for when I'm working on the car.

Better safe than sorry, it's a lot easier than trying to reach my ankle holster, IWB holster, or the gun up my ass while driving.

Damn dude. Forget knife fights...

I also keep mine in my underseat drawer. It is not exactly easy to get to quickly, but nice to have it on me. I CHL it when going to walmart or other shady locations

Last edited:

wolverines_fan83

Ready to race!
I don't know about other states, but here in Arizona I just assume everyone has a gun on them. Taking that into consideration I just keep my gun on my passenger seat or in the glove box. If I have to leave it in the car I just lock my glove box with my gun inside. Anytime I get stopped I just tell the officer I have a loaded firearm in the car and it's never been an issue. For those of you who don't know AZ gun laws they are pretty much non existant.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know about other states, but here in Arizona I just assume everyone has a gun on them. Taking that into consideration I just keep my gun on my passenger seat or in the glove box. If I have to leave it in the car I just lock my glove box with my gun inside. Anytime I get stopped I just tell the officer I have a loaded firearm in the car and it's never been an issue. For those of you who don't know AZ gun laws they are pretty much non existant.

The laws are permissive, but it seems law enforcement are free to make the rules as they go.

yardfog

Ready to race!
I thought this thread was a joke at first...so happy to be Canadian. I need a place to holster my maple syrup and keys to my igloo...

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand this... just because you are all Canadian/in Canada doesn't mean you're immune to crime...

So lets keep the politics and anti remarks out of here and keep this on topic.
Socal87, what size handgun are you carrying if you don't mind me asking.

Goobax

Ready to race!
Be advised, for those who put your weapons in the door panels:

If an officer can see the weapon when he approaches either side of your vehicle it is NOT concealed. Mine stays on my side at the 3 o'clock position. Its uncomfortable at times depending on attire but its the easiest for me to get to if I need it. The underseat drawer is nice for storage but I am not about to sweep myself to access it in a hurry.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I don't understand this... just because you are all Canadian/in Canada doesn't mean you're immune to crime...

So lets keep the politics and anti remarks out of here and keep this on topic.
Socal87, what size handgun are you carrying if you don't mind me asking.

Ruger SR40 (.40 S&W) Stainless slide, no attachments. Need to get a decent belt holster. Thinking about getting an SR45, but this is my first handgun, so I'm learning as I go.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
There is nothing wrong with having a gun in your car if you have a CCW. Personally I wouldn't be posting online where I keep mine if I had one. Just my $.02.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
In my waistband.