GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to find good financial advisors

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
How many youtube videos and books and articles have I seen talk about "Passive income", "Grow your $$$", "Make your $$$ work for you", etc.

Question is, where should I go to find someone whose solid, anyone have any experience in the field and anyone have some tips and tricks they're willing to share?

Got some opportunities coming up in '19, and wanna further capitalize on them with some financial planning and stuff.

Thanks ahead of time

Rogue

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Takes money to make money. There are very few real Passive income jobs that you can have without shelling out a lot initially. Want more money, get another job. Be your own boss. Start a company. Ect ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
Takes money to make money. There are very few real Passive income jobs that you can have without shelling out a lot initially. Want more money, get another job. Be your own boss. Start a company. Ect ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I plan on doing that part, just looking to take a bit of my future earnings and then have it work from there

I expect the whole "Spend $$$ to make $$$", just more what sites or stuff lead me to the right people

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
car forums....

send me your $. I guarantee you I'll see a 100% increase in net worth.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
just looking to take a bit of my future earnings and then have it work from there

Do you mean take a portion of your paycheck and put it towards an investment? If that's the case, why not just open a 401k (has to be through your employer) or IRA (anyone can open one) retirement account? You can set up automatic deposits to them from your payroll. You can't go wrong with a retirement account. Probably one of the best ways to grow your money safely. The only downside is that you can't tap into it until retirement age, or else get hit with a 10% penalty.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've found that credit unions often have really good financial advisers, and they are generally free if you have accounts there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can't personally vouch for anyone lately, but I always ask how many shares of the XYZ company they're hawking they personally own. This is a volatile time for investing, I'd wait until the end of January.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I would highly recommend you do your own research, set goals for the near, medium and long term, determine your risk tolerance, then open a vanguard account and take advantage of their index or blended fund offerings. Financial advisors are nice, but they cost a lot of money for advice that's generally available for free. As a general rule, "passive income" doesn't happen at much above 7% in the long term and you have to be comfortable with a lot of risk if you want more; most "get rich quick" investment strategies are basically just gambling. There are ways to make your money work for you that will return better, but they come with higher effort (like buying and renting out a property). Start by reading up on capital gains (short vs long term) and qualifying dividends and their tax implications; it'll help you decide if you need to be in a tax advantaged fund or not. Then come up with a timeframe that you plan to harvest your earnings and risk tolerance; low risk and short term you'll want heavier fixed income balance vs long term and higher risk you'll want more stock market funds. Lastly, I am a big fan of vanguard because their fee structure, expense ratios for blended funds and transparency are pretty much the best out there, but to each their own. Good luck and remember, saving in the first place is the most important part.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I have been trying to research more on investing lately. I had a 401k but that was basically the extent of it. I never found the time to learn and understand much. I have since rolled into a Vanguard account and it has been doing ok(have 4 diff Vanguard funds). I found the website somewhat difficult to navigate(especially for someone not very knowledgeable.) Well anyway, you can partner with a Vanguard advisor and the annual expense is only 0.3% of total assets(up to 500K, it goes down after that) I haven't done that just yet... I have a couple friends that are "financial strategists" and they used to work for Edward Jones. I don't know what their fees are. You may want to get a Fiduciary... If you have an IRA the annual limit is what $6500 this year, so it's not going to make you a baller over night. I've been looking at other accounts to invest more right now. Mainly stocks.

Also, check your banking options. There are a lot of places now that you can get much better interest rates on savings. Granted you may need to meet a minimum balance requirement to get the rate. Or you can get a nice spiff for transferring new money. If you're like me and were still in your 15 year old account that was only paying like 0.1% it's probably time to reconsider. I didn't earn a TON in interest last year but it was WAYYYY more than my other bank would have paid lmao. Oh yea and I'm using credit cards also(DON'T TELL DAVE RAMSEY ON ME). I pay the last statement balance every time, and just flat out don't buy stuff I can't afford.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I have been trying to research more on investing lately. I had a 401k but that was basically the extent of it. I never found the time to learn and understand much. I have since rolled into a Vanguard account and it has been doing ok(have 4 diff Vanguard funds). I found the website somewhat difficult to navigate(especially for someone not very knowledgeable.) Well anyway, you can partner with a Vanguard advisor and the annual expense is only 0.3% of total assets(up to 500K, it goes down after that) I haven't done that just yet... I have a couple friends that are "financial strategists" and they used to work for Edward Jones. I don't know what their fees are. You may want to get a Fiduciary... If you have an IRA the annual limit is what $6500 this year, so it's not going to make you a baller over night. I've been looking at other accounts to invest more right now. Mainly stocks.

Also, check your banking options. There are a lot of places now that you can get much better interest rates on savings. Granted you may need to meet a minimum balance requirement to get the rate. Or you can get a nice spiff for transferring new money. If you're like me and were still in your 15 year old account that was only paying like 0.1% it's probably time to reconsider. I didn't earn a TON in interest last year but it was WAYYYY more than my other bank would have paid lmao. Oh yea and I'm using credit cards also(DON'T TELL DAVE RAMSEY ON ME). I pay the last statement balance every time, and just flat out don't buy stuff I can't afford.

I won't tell Dav Ramsey on you but on his website click on ELP which stands for I believe Extended Local Provider. There you will get a list of the financial investors in your area that will give you free investment advice that adhere to his principals.