GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where to replace shocks in Northern Virginia

sonni

Hi,
I need some input, I just recently moved to the DC area and don't yet know where to go... My shocks in the back at last feel like their gone...
Does anyone have some advice on where to go to in the Northern Virginia area?? I obviously don't want to hit up Firestone....

I'm leaning towards the Koni orange (just because of what I read in the forums), it's a daily commuter. I got 95k on it and I wonder if I should also look into replacing the springs (I'm not sure if this is recommended with replacing the shocks)?? Mounts, sway bar bushings.... any experience??

I also don't plan on taking my car racing...
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
NGP has a couple shops in the area, I believe. The rears are super easy. Any shop can handle them. Like 30 minutes on the street with a jack and stands easy. You’re supposed to replace the rear mounts and hardware when replacing. Urotuning sells a hardware kit. As for springs, unless you want to change ride height, I wouldn’t worry about replacing them. Have a look. If they’re not all rusted up, I’d leave them.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
NGP does all the work on my car that I don't do myself. I hear the NTB in Lorton has a bunch of VW enthusiasts on staff, but haven't been there yet.
I had a bad experience with Koni shocks, so I recommend either Bilstein or the OEM Sachs.

sonni

Thanks drval85!!!!

TimS: I'll read up more on the shocks, from what I read so far, the Bilsteins seem to be very stiff. But I'll read more!!!
Thanks for the feedback!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks drval85!!!!

TimS: I'll read up more on the shocks, from what I read so far, the Bilsteins seem to be very stiff. But I'll read more!!!
Thanks for the feedback!
Bilstein has a B4 “Touring” replacement that they say is only 10% stiffer than stock. $275 for the entire set....hard to beat.

sonni

Alright!
I'll have everything done on the 26th (fingers crossed) at wyigul, other places are either booked or don't want to install anything they didn't order...
I'll update once done and I got a feel for different conditions!!

Thanks for your comments! Most helpful!