GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

which lightweight battery you would recommend?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So finished installing the Duracell Ultra ETX18L this morning. I’m trying to figure out how I want to properly mount it. Either upright or horizontal. Only thing is not sure if I want to spend over 100 on some of the nicer mounting options. It weighs 17lbs and so far the car starts so quickly and smoothly. Plus RPMs see more steady at idle funny considering it’s a 20ah vs a 72ah. Picked this over the ETX16L for barely weighs more and is rated a little better at 340 CCA. One day may get a Braille that is even higher rated but wanted to experiment at a much lower cost. Plus has a 2 year warranty. The front end does feel a little more nimble and lighter. Going from a 42lb to a 17lb battery is a huge difference for sure. Will have to see the longevity of this battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion
It’s closer to $11/gal in bulk. Ive always viewed it as easier because no tuning or fiddling around with lines, nozzles, new controllers, etc. Just swap to the tune. Just fill up the tank and drive. No nozzles no secondary fueling system, nothing else. If I ever need to, I can always go back down to 93 or anything else on the fly, no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. I've read the aquamist manual probably a dozen times and there are so many moving parts. I'm sure once it's setup it would be fine, but that's not exactly cheap either.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Also if you're an SCCA member you get $50 off Braille batteries if you go through them direct. Just gotta give them your SCCA #.

H132

Ready to race!
Installed a Deka ETX18L. Kept battery box for oem look. Tied down with zip ties and foam inserts. Can't tell it's in there...

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I'm a complete rookie to these non-OEM batteries. The Braille & Deka options I like seem to come with weird battery terminals.

Does the box come with screw-on terminals as seen in the picture above so I can clamp the OEM cables onto the battery without modification? Or is that purchased separately?

For instance: If you look up the Braille B3121, there are plenty of photos where its clear it comes with terminals our cars cables can just camp onto.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'm a complete rookie to these non-OEM batteries. The Braille & Deka options I like seem to come with weird battery terminals.

Does the box come with screw-on terminals as seen in the picture above so I can clamp the OEM cables onto the battery without modification? Or is that purchased separately?

For instance: If you look up the Braille B3121, there are plenty of photos where its clear it comes with terminals our cars cables can just camp onto.
I've seen people running these...

https://antigravitybatteries.com/

Prices are reasonable. It's probably where I was going to go when the monster in my car dies.

torga

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Isnt the braille only like 400? 700$ seems pretty steep

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

The Deka batteries do not come with the SAE adapters but you can find them on-line for $10-$20 a set depending on the brand.
Example:
https://stmtuned.com/products/odyss...WIb9EnXUTu7U3Z3WwvrdpjhydBzpT-phoC090QAvD_BwE

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for that - i've attached a screenshot of what I think I will be going with. Surprisingly affordable once you cut right through all the BS. This one is a 26 amp hr

Attachments

• BatteryTest.PNG
    BatteryTest.PNG
    134.8 KB · Views: 135

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Deka, Braille and Odyssey are the ones I see running around. I'm buying the Odyssey 925 but if you want you can go lighter with the 680. Since my car is street driven I want to keep a bigger battery, but the price is right on both of them.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Deka, Braille and Odyssey are the ones I see running around. I'm buying the Odyssey 925 but if you want you can go lighter with the 680. Since my car is street driven I want to keep a bigger battery, but the price is right on both of them.

I've looked into a few Odysseys and they look pretty nice.

the one you called out seems to compete directly with the Deka I mentioned, but the Deka is a bunch cheaper. I wonder if I am missing something. They are both 26 amp hours and have nearly the same cca rating & weight.

I'm pretty committed to ordering my replacement battery by Monday.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Just an update here that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the following items:

Deka Sports Power ETX-30L
XS Power 586 Tall Brass Post Adaptor (M6 Thread)
East Penn 00242 J-Type Battery Hold-On Bolt

I attached some photos of each item for reference to help newcomers understand what they are looking at. I used those items & a scrap flat metal bar (I guess 1/2" wide, 1/4" thick) I had laying around to create the tie down in the OEM box tray.

21lbBattery - Copy.PNG

Still working through the final kinks like trimming down the JHooks and making sure I have a solution against the wingnuts backing out, I also wanna see how much trimming I need to do to get the battery box lid back on. As it stands, it looks like it might actually be close enough to make it work once the JHooks are trimmed.

I think I am even ok with drilling provisions to poke the JHooks through the battery box lid vs trimming them very short and making them fit in the box, this would make 110% that the rods are not dancing around in the tray. I might wanna put a black cap or something on them, but I would be OK with an inch of JHook poking through.

Attachments

• Battery - Copy.PNG
    Battery - Copy.PNG
    457.7 KB · Views: 94
  • M6SAE - Copy.PNG
    M6SAE - Copy.PNG
    890.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Jhook - Copy.PNG
    Jhook - Copy.PNG
    160.9 KB · Views: 87