GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Why I passed on a MK7 GTI recently...

40Roller

I have been shopping around for a used MK7 GTI for a few weeks now. Don't get me wrong, I love my current MK6 GTI MT. It is a blast to drive and handling is second none (although it start out that way when I bought her 4 years ago).

But that being said I was thinking of trading her in for something a little newer. That is why after test driving four (count em 4!!) MK7 GTI's - I have to express my feelings disappointment as I was expecting a lot more. Like more throw me back into my seat kind of more and power. The same power I felt on the MK6 Golf R recently.

I almost felt that I was riding in Grampa's Oldsmobile but with exceptional cornering and positioning. After trying the base and Autobahn version, I finally moved on to test driving 2 Performance DSG models. The subdued effect left me wanting more! Noticeable right away was the immediate turbo lag after doing a 40 roll.

Where it did shine however was around the sharp corners and ride comfort was exceptionally better than my MK6 (but that could also be a negatives as well).

You see In my MK6 you feel every nook and cranny, and sometimes I don't to feel every damn nook and cranny. But when I do, look out! It's awesome on the open road and paved highways. The MK7 cannot come even remotely close to MK6's aggressive and raw-like response, tight traffic and on the open pavement. Lateral mobility is so much better in the old platform compared to the MQB. I own the freeways and tight spots!

I think I will hold on to my MK6 for now. Possibly go after a Golf R in the spring...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=266866690956040&set=a.193196164989760&type=3&eid=ARCxDmT3ach3SfS_aqKFqC6xC0P2talXchNNAx5_EELAYKCp1MwbdEuRsrz3ZFLR01oaoL4NaXjOy7x-

Blakcard

Go Kart Champion
Why not get the Mk7 and tune it? Personally I'm not a real fan of the Mk7 GTI looks.. Saw an R in the Queensway VW for $13K,, 205Kms... looked pretty good but ...Imma stay with mine

40Roller

Why not get the Mk7 and tune it? Personally I'm not a real fan of the Mk7 GTI looks.. Saw an R in the Queensway VW for $13K,, 205Kms... looked pretty good but ...Imma stay with mine
Ya I have noticed that R listed at Queensway. There is something about a MK6 R if it is done right, it's a knockout. However I would be hesitant to buy a car with that many kms without a sold aftermarket warranty. I blew my tensioner, timing chain, cylinder head etc.... and it was a bitch to get it replaced....As for buying a Mk7 GTI, I might as well tune my MK6 MT and go K04 then. You see I am not totally sold on the MK7's GTI design. The longer frame and stock OEM wheels are not in my wheelhouse. There are some aspects that I like about it but so much more working against it as mentioned above.... Now if we talking about an R of any generation I am in! The new Mk7.5 R is stunningly gorgeous!!