GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wind Noise from driver side window

andytuotuo

I've had my car for over a month. I notice that wind noise become very noticeable when I reach about 100 km/h. It's from side mirror area but I couldn't feel any wind. I've noticed the problem since day one but I only decided to go to dealership recently. I've been there twice but they don't have a clue about what causes the noise. Any idea what the cause could be? BTW, I live in Canada.

Phil1

Ready to race!
Click on SEARCH THIS FORUM on the top right hand side when you are in the Golf MK7 & GTI general discussion webpage, then ADVANCED SEARCH, search by word in title and type NOISE, you will see many threads about the exact same issue.

GJK

Ready to race!
I've just noticed significant wind noise on my new TSI, but I'm not going to just live with it. I mean, a quiet cabin is one of the reasons I chose the Golf in the first place! I'm investigating it now (I'm also in Canada - I don't know if that means anything)

BTW the longest thread on wind noise doesn't come up in most searches because the poster used windnoise all one word. It's here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6465&highlight=windnoise

VolkNut

I'm interested in this too, I suspect there is some strange turbulence between the mirror and window. Have you ever watched rain water get whipped up in that area when you drive? I would assume this is something VW has wind tunnels for, but maybe it's a compensation/trade-off for something else.

andytuotuo

My dealer finally called me and said they had the parts they needed last Friday. I was supposed to go in today for a fix but my car was stuck in the snow. So I rescheduled it to Wednesday. I'm hoping they can fix my car up. I'll keep you all updated. BTW, I think the problem is the seal strip. I was driving at city speed in a windy day, the wind blew across my car sideways, the wind noise appeared.

GJK

Ready to race!
Great if you can keep us updated. I'm also in Canada, and have some wind noise, from the passenger mirror area - very noticeable on days with a bit of cross wind. It would be good to hear what the part is and if it worked...

andytuotuo

GOOD NEWS! My car is fixed!! I dropped my car at my dealer yesterday. They told me they replaced the upper window seal strip and had a couple test drive. The noise problem was gone! I've also been driven for bit in the city and didn't notice any noise at all!

Last edited:

GJK

Ready to race!
GOOD NEWS! My car is fixed!! I dropped my car at my dealer yesterday. They told me they replaced the upper window seal strip and had a couple test drive. The noise problem was gone! I've also been drive for bit in the city and didn't notice any noise at all!

That is good news! Did the dealer say that this was a known problem? Could you see anything visibly wrong with the seal?

andytuotuo

That is good news! Did the dealer say that this was a known problem? Could you see anything visibly wrong with the seal?

I went to my dealer twice before but they couldn't determine the problem. They just tried to replace the seal by chance and it worked. I couldn't spot any damage on the seal and there is no visual difference after the replacement.

GJK

Ready to race!
I went to my dealer twice before but they couldn't determine the problem. They just tried to replace the seal by chance and it worked. I couldn't spot any damage on the seal and there is no visual difference after the replacement.

Okay thanks for the info. I'll approach my dealer soon. Would you mind sending me the name of your dealer in case they don't want to do the same when I go in? (I'm in Toronto, I know you are somewhere in Canada)