GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window covers...Yes? No? Why or why not?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Thoughts? I'm on the fence...
Peeps seem to like Well, but I know there are lots to choose from. I may just do the one in front of the moon roof, but...

Open to your opinions.

Thanks!

zrickety

The Fixer
Weight reduction...nuff said.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I feel the same way about them as I do mudflaps. They’re fine on other peoples cars just not mine.

I can see why smokers get them. I refer to them as smoker vents sometimes.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
I feel the same way about them as I do mudflaps. They’re fine on other peoples cars just not mine.

I can see why smokers get them. I refer to them as smoker vents sometimes.
Lol...I can see that.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
They are good when you want to let in air when it rains to help with fogging up. They only look cheap and ugly when you buy the cheap and ugly ones. Stick with the in channel ones by WeatherTech. Don't get the $30 ones from Amazon or ebay.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Nope...

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
They never improve the look of the car, but if you have an actual use for them, they may be worth it to you. But no, from a cosmetic standpoint the never make the car look better than it looks without them.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all...yeah, I decided to pass on them...I just know in the summer months, the interior can get hot! I'll just find a shady spot to park. ?

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Wow, crazy to see all the negativity towards them here.

I love my weathertech window deflectors. Can still crack the windows while its raining or super sunny and not get blasted with the rain/sun. Both my windows and deflectors have a bit of a tint to them.

I also disagree that it doesn't add to the look of the car. I love the look of them and think it makes the car look a bit more complete. I guess I sort of see it as a must-have item on any car really.

The ones I have tuck into the door/window trim and so they are not as big/bulky as you see from autozone and such. I probably wouldn't use a set that attached with adhesive.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I see your notes now on cooling the cars interior down on hot days - do you have tints? Even super light ceramic tints will make an incredible difference. I've seen cars with tints so light I didn't believe they were tinted until the windows were lowered a bit and I could see for myself. Once you sit in the car after a bit in the sun its very clear though.

Between tints and one of those windshield sunshades, my car is almost never uncomfortably warm when I get in. The sun-visors on the windows are helpful so the sun doesn't snipe me in the eye and I can still crack the window on a sunny day.
Pic of what I am talking about for the windshield attached since I don't think many people have used them:
41MUIWNJA0L._AC_.jpg

After several years in Florida I learned to protect myself from hot shift knobs & dashboards.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I see your notes now on cooling the cars interior down on hot days - do you have tints? Even super light ceramic tints will make an incredible difference. I've seen cars with tints so light I didn't believe they were tinted until the windows were lowered a bit and I could see for myself. Once you sit in the car after a bit in the sun its very clear though.

Between tints and one of those windshield sunshades, my car is almost never uncomfortably warm when I get in. The sun-visors on the windows are helpful so the sun doesn't snipe me in the eye and I can still crack the window on a sunny day.
Pic of what I am talking about for the windshield attached since I don't think many people have used them:
View attachment 179067
After several years in Florida I learned to protect myself from hot shift knobs & dashboards.

For the first time I'm using a sunscreen too. I got one from covercraft that's been working pretty well. I've had 2 GTIs and neither were garaged and always sat in the FL sun. Both of them had interior problems just from the car baking its insides for so many years. The soft touch literally just starts melting and plastics end up brittle.

I feel like it's been helping though. I know even on the hottest days I never have to worry about my knob being too touch to hot. Plus it's a lot more protection from the uv rays.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion