GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Set-Up

torga

Autocross Champion
Good for you!

Since you put it that way answer this, how often during the year are the mud flaps used to prevent spray and rooster tail?

On aerodynamic cars mud flaps obliterate all the work the engineers did to made give the car low drag coefficient. Mud flaps work only at low speed, over 35 mph (60 km/h) they disturbed air flowing around the wheel wells.
Do you have any empirical data that supports this? Or just logical thinking of "putting something in the way of airflow must disturb it"?
The airflow around tires is already so, incredibly turbulent that I truly don't think that mudflaps will be tanking the entire car's Cd/Cw. In theory, yes mudflaps will absolutely disturb the airflow. But in practice? I don't think a driver will notice a significant loss in fuel efficiency, driven in real life conditions.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have any empirical data that supports this? Or just logical thinking of "putting something in the way of airflow must disturb it"?
The airflow around tires is already so, incredibly turbulent that I truly don't think that mudflaps will be tanking the entire car's Cd/Cw. In theory, yes mudflaps will absolutely disturb the airflow. But in practice? I don't think a driver will notice a significant loss in fuel efficiency, driven in real life conditions.
Empirical data no, I read an article in one of the car magazines years back which is the basis of my post. Go right ahead and put them on since you love 'em that much.

Like I alway say it's your car do what you want with it.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Empirical data no, I read an article in one of the car magazines years back which is the basis of my post. Go right ahead and put them on since you love 'em that much.

Like I alway say it's your car do what you want with it.

Are aerodynamics a big consideration in snow?

I drove 2 winters in Anchorage with Blizzaks on my Golf and loved them. Mud flaps would have been nice in Alaska as they gravel the roads (no salt) so mud flaps would have been a courtesy to people behind you as everyone has a cracked windshield.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Good for you!

Since you put it that way answer this, how often during the year are the mud flaps used to prevent spray and rooster tail?

On aerodynamic cars mud flaps obliterate all the work the engineers did to made give the car low drag coefficient. Mud flaps work only at low speed, over 35 mph (60 km/h) they disturbed air flowing around the wheel wells.

Well you know Toronto lol it rains when it rains and when it's hard ... tails! I like to believe on the highway the flaps keep the stones off the cars behind me. Lord knows how many windshields I've gone through. I'm not worried about drag and gas... if I were I would drive a Leaf or something.

SJC

Ready to race!
Mud flaps cause drag and a place for salty crap to build up and eventually rust will occur.

Had Continental Contact snows, just bought Blizzaks.
17” VW Alloys.
I’ve used X Ice before and found them to be great on ice and light slush, but lacking in deep snow and slush.