GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
What do you mean by risky? I run 16" snow tires on steel rims no problem. Actually more safe for the winter than an 18" setup since its also a narrower tire.

I have a '16 GTI SE with Performance Pack which have MK7 Golf R brakes. ;)

zrickety

The Fixer

Pics of your mk7 and we'll forgive you

dmarsh15

Ready to race!

Well that makes more sense, but this is the MK6 forum...;)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Anyone know of a decent set of snow tires that could handle Jersey weather on 18 "Detroits? Looking for any deals or discounts you guys know of as these are just obviously for the season and first sign of a plant growing back next year, I'm swapping these off, back to the Lagunas...

Thanks.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Anyone know of a decent set of snow tires that could handle Jersey weather on 18 "Detroits? Looking for any deals or discounts you guys know of as these are just obviously for the season and first sign of a plant growing back next year, I'm swapping these off, back to the Lagunas...

Thanks.

See post #906 above....although you missed out on one of the deals already

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
There are budget options too.

DiscountTireDirect.com has the GT WinterPro for only $80/each, which = $320 SHIPPED for a set
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...do&fl=w&pc=17015&counter=0&ar=40&rd=18&cs=225

Or you can get Falken EuroWinter tires right now for $328 SHIPPED for a set on ebay from DiscountTireDirect, after the $100 coupon ($428-$100 = $328)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-225-4...ash=item2ca24d476e:g:kvkAAOSwhcJWHtkm&vxp=mtr

Anyone try these that can provide some feedback?
Seems awfully too budget...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They're Discount Tire's brand (just sold thru them) and will get the job done, better than any all season tire, and are cheap (priced). You won't be running them long anyways or doing any insane tracking with them....they're just budget priced snow tires, I think you'll be fine.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
They're Discount Tire's brand (just sold thru them) and will get the job done, better than any all season tire, and are cheap (priced). You won't be running them long anyways or doing any insane tracking with them....they're just budget priced snow tires, I think you'll be fine.

That's the thing. I'll only be rocking these for the winter season and then take them off. Of course Jersey can get it's fair share of torrid winter snow falls and this year they predict a bad one (I think every year they do), and I'm just curious why someone would choose, say Blizak at around 170 a pop vs these at 80 a pop they both can basically get the job done, obviously Blizak provides more traction, but just how much more to justify nearly double price?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That's the thing. I'll only be rocking these for the winter season and then take them off. Of course Jersey can get it's fair share of torrid winter snow falls and this year they predict a bad one (I think every year they do), and I'm just curious why someone would choose, say Blizak at around 170 a pop vs these at 80 a pop they both can basically get the job done, obviously Blizak provides more traction, but just how much more to justify nearly double price?

Like I said, for the short amount of time that you need them and without spending an arm and a leg....I'd buy/try them.
I was gonna go that route actually (buying a set of GT snow tires new), but found a set of almost new (used) tires on craiglist instead for less.

Even proof/peace of mind...the General Arctics are one of the cheaper/cheapest priced snow tires as well, but look at all the positive reviews they get.
I ran them last year and loved them, and the tread last forever too.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Like I said, for the short amount of time that you need them and without spending an arm and a leg....I'd buy/try them.
I was gonna go that route actually (buying a set of GT snow tires new), but found a set of almost new (used) tires on craiglist instead for less.

Even proof/peace of mind...the General Arctics are one of the cheaper/cheapest priced snow tires as well, but look at all the positive reviews they get.
I ran them last year and loved them, and the tread last forever too.

Yeah I really think the Generals are the best snow tire for the money. I bet they would give the Blizzaks a run for their money in a head to head test. Too bad TireRack will never do that though, since they are in different categories.

I made about 15 trips to Vermont last year to ski, mostly during snow storms and I was never once worried about going off the road. These tires rock! I just picked up 2 new ones for this season once my front ones wear out.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Cool guys. Thanks for info. Went with the Discount Tire GTs. Will put them on in around 3 weeks.

First sign of a tree coming back to life, Michelin Pilots! :D

blknytro

Passed Driver's Ed
Did Tire Rack pull the Blizzak ws80's in 225/40/18 off the website today???? They were there the other day.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Did Tire Rack pull the Blizzak ws80's in 225/40/18 off the website today???? They were there the other day.

They must have, but not sure why. Looks like we are out of stock at the moment but with an ETA from Bridgestone of 11/25. If you need to place an order, feel free to contact me directly.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So my GT's from Discount Tire already arrived today when they were scheduled for a Monday delivery. Seriously fast delivery.

They look solid... can't wait to put them on. I had them delivered to my mother's house and she thought they were race car tires with the width and that I placed the wrong order. I said, no mother, just don't think they are similar tires to your Elantra...