GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Thread

Danitsa

Hey im buying new set of winter tires for old audi s-line 16" wheels (image). What is best measurements for winters wheels that fit stock height mk6 gti? wheels have now 215/55 on them. Oh and where can i get bolts that fits for these wheels and my car.

d236bab0-7c64-4b48-97c2-a6b338680157_zpsailmi4si.jpg

jedred1

jedred1
I went with the 16x6.5 5-112 et42 steel new and 205/55R-16 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D deal from the tire rack. Now I need to get them on. Do you guys just reuse the stock lug nuts?

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
If anyone hasn't tried Nexan WinGuard Sport Winters, I'd look into them. This is my second year on them, in 225/45/17 on OEM Denvers. Dry and wet traction is seriously awesome. Snow traction is pretty decent as well. Even in 17" sizes, they are dirt cheap as well.

I had General Altimax Arctics for 2 winters before these, in 16" on steelies. The generals are better in deep snow, but are terribly floaty when it's dry. The Nexans aren't as good in deep snow (I'd say 75% of the General's snow traction), but are 400% better on dry roads. They aren't floaty and you can actually do some aggressive driving on them.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Got my GT's installed yesterday with a spare set of Detroits for winter :D No snow obviously yet to determine how they handle, but the dry road handling is as expected. Not all that confidence inspiring, lol.

Craigldavis

How to make center caps fit on non-oe wheels with non-oe (conical) bolts:

Get about 2 feet of 3/4" inner diameter 1" outer diameter plastic tubing from a hardware store and cut into "rings" about 1/2" to 3/4" long:

Put a ring into each bolt holder on the center caps:

Fits perfectly:

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Hey Sonny, any feedback on the Blizzak LM-001? Looking for a tire set that's not so loud or dull in the hands (in the dry) as typical winter tires. I live near the South Bend Distr Center for for reference on my winter climate. Tire size will be 225/45-R17 or thereabouts.

I have experience with a set of XI-2's for a 16" wheel in the GTI and WS-80's on a 15" wheel on an old Passat from a while back.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Hey Sonny, any feedback on the Blizzak LM-001? Looking for a tire set that's not so loud or dull in the hands (in the dry) as typical winter tires. I live near the South Bend Distr Center for for reference on my winter climate. Tire size will be 225/45-R17 or thereabouts.

I have experience with a set of XI-2's for a 16" wheel in the GTI and WS-80's on a 15" wheel on an old Passat from a while back.

I wish I did have feedback. Unfortunately, being so new I have not tested it yet, nor have any of my customers reported back.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
For free mounting and installation I'll let you or your TR mates have a go on the track

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Well, I'm giving them a shot. We'll see how they do when I install them when it's cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

hypergti

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Sonny

I have a 2012 GTI with 16 inch rims for winter. I live in the Northeast.
Not too many deep snow storms but definitely snowy and slushy roads throughout the winter. Try to decide between the Blizzak WS80's or the Michelin XI3's?? Your thoughts? Anyone else who has either tire in snowy climates have feedback?