GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Xenon replacement

FLvDub

So my son's buddy backed into my MK6 and I'm looking for solutions for repair. The lights work fine, it's just the outer casing that's damaged. Both casings really could use replacement due to the FL sun, but I'd much rather swap out for something non-Xenon. Is that even possible? I've seen lens replacements online, but don't really want to go that route. Thanks!

Attachments

• thumbnail_64425017084__9AF8EBE2-C00C-4769-9028-BB1E7896F6CC.jpg
    thumbnail_64425017084__9AF8EBE2-C00C-4769-9028-BB1E7896F6CC.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 111

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The bulbs will not work for long with all the moisture in the air down there. I agree with above, lens replacement is cheapest. Otherwise you can try some pick-n-pull yards see if you can get a deal cause new ones are pricey. Not sure how feasible it is to go from Xenon to Halogen, not a normal or common path obviously.

There is this thread that appears to say it's possible.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...on-to-10-pin-halogen-headlight-socket.369617/

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Sucks to have to deal with this. I think it’s best to buy the lenses and swap lighting hardware. It’s crazy to go halogen. If you want the MK7 style LEDs, it would make more sense. I actually replaced my perfectly functioning Bi-Xenons with the 2012 LED equipped lenses. I love the look of them and know I have fantastic OE Xenons.

damiennn

Ready to race!
I still have my Mk6 R OEM xenon housings.. as I swapped mine with euro Golf R Mk6 units with black bezels.
they have about 40K of driving on them, but still in good shape, although they dont have the weird little square LEDs.

New ones are $1380 from ECS, I think.. you can have mine for $650 (+ shipping)

1625142621978.png

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
How feasible is it to actually swap out lenses on these? I have OEM xenons myself but the lenses are fucking awful after baking in FL heat and humidity for 10 years. I would replace them, but they're so expensive. Do they even sell the lenses on their own?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
How feasible is it to actually swap out lenses on these? I have OEM xenons myself but the lenses are fucking awful after baking in FL heat and humidity for 10 years. I would replace them, but they're so expensive. Do they even sell the lenses on their own?
I have heard stories of it being done. But no word on it being a long term fix.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I've "seen" people replace the lens multiple times on FB, so it's technically feasible. I'd say if they're stripped of most everything that can be removed, it shouldn't damage anything. At least this is what I tell myself, as I've been dragging my feet on this exact project for more than a year.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the aftermarket lens being reinstalled. Is it going to last as long as the OEM lens or it is going to look hazy after a year or two?

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
Im curious to see how lens swap will turn out. I had my driver headlight replaced from an accident and the right one is nasty so took a chance on $50 ebay lenses and will be doing that this weekend

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
I tackled the lens replacement and it turned out less than satisfactory. mostly by my own doing. I was able to use a heat gun around the seal to loosen it up and persuade it apart and everything seemed to be going well at this point. at some point I got smudge prints on the chrome shroud inside and the chrome started to come off when I wiped off the smudge, then it went down hill. the lenses I got had guide pins and my housing didnt have a slot to fit so I broke those off the lens before I installed. I used retro rubber to seal it and if you go for the lens swap this stuff is awesome, however the guide pin on the bottom didnt break off far enough down and started pushing the bottom of the lens out. I had to reheat it to pull it back apart and the sealer was now a tar that stretched and stuck to the inside of the housing in some spots. now apart again and Im fuming still from the chrome issue. smudges are still there btw. the bottom still pushes out about 1/8th inch and I called it good. it will work for now and I can live with for now until the chrome problem drives me mad, but looks much better that the yellow cloudy lens

Attachments

• 20210906_143619.jpg
    20210906_143619.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • 20210906_151531.jpg
    20210906_151531.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
  • 20210906_151541.jpg
    20210906_151541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20210906_151548.jpg
    20210906_151548.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210906_152144.jpg
    20210906_152144.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 109

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Regardless of the issues you ran into, its still a hell of a lot better than some hazy lens. I was going to do the oven, but seeing that you used a heat gun; it might be easier to control where the heat is applied. How much of a pain was it to take the old lens off?