GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Younger GTI owners car payments

afctom

Ready to race!
I've noticed there are lots of 17-21 year olds on here with GTI's (presumably still in college and not in full time employment), and I'm in the market to upgrade from a Golf to a GTI. How have you arranged your car payments? Directly through Volkswagen or is it a case of parents buying the car and you paying them back a certain amount per month? Any response is appreciated, Thanks!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
husslin'

Toomanyrpms

haha ^solid answer! A lot of factors come into play here you could either hit up a bank for a loan or hit the dealer. Then refinance. Debts cheap these days!

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Bought my first mk6 TDI through VW credit a 1.9% when I was 22. Then traded it in when I was 24 and jumped into a GTI. Got raped on %Apr bc my credit has dropped, but it's not easy. I schedule my car payment with my monthly bonus along with my car insurance. But unlike most I pay up the ass for car insurance bc bad record/lead foot syndrome. :laugh:

clownish

just clowning around
Bought my first mk6 TDI through VW credit a 1.9% when I was 22. Then traded it in when I was 24 and jumped into a GTI. Got raped on %Apr bc my credit has dropped, but it's not easy. I schedule my car payment with my monthly bonus along with my car insurance. But unlike most I pay up the ass for car insurance bc bad record/lead foot syndrome. :laugh:

17-21 ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Last sentence of op says any response appreciated.... :iono:

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
From what Ive read of it sounds like there are a few people who arent the ones making the payments on it... im not hating, I would let someone pay the bill for me too if I could

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Leased my mkv Jetta through the dealer and paid for all of it myself with a job... then financed a GTi when I turned 20 under my Parents name since I didn't have the necessary credit but I have been making all the payments since then.. and now there's about a year left of payments and the car will be paid off. (I'm 24 now)

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I got my mk6 gti when i was 20, mom insisted me being the cosigner, traded in my old car for $10k, i believe it was .99 apr. Now that my mk6 got totaled and got a huge check for $21k (havent received yet), i got a mk7 (23 now) under my name but dad co-signed, but i believe i pay 2.99 apr now, also i have excelent credit score than my parents, 800 to be exact. Payment starts in november as i got the car last saturday.

I work 30 hours a week, and work extra on some weekends at festivals about once in every month in warm seasons. I still go to school, wrapping up my degree, i make pretty good amount of money for someone in my situation, id probably move out by now, if i didnt get the gti or didnt get the mod bug.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
The folks that had mom and dad pay are likely not going to chime in... don't blame them either. It's just reality. Honestly, if you aren't sure if you can afford it, I would not buy it.

It's really not worth having a financial obligation that is really not necessary. In the event you can't make payments, you're credit is going to take a dump and will cost you MORE money in the long run.

The GTI is awesome... but don't put yourself into a tough situation that you can't afford comfortably.