Your tune isn't so secret anymore....

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
What's CPO?

Charlie22911

Ready to race!
Certified Pre-Owned
(lol...what he said^)

By the way...I'd get it in writing that they will honor the full CPO warranty despite the modifications/tune that were in place prior to the purchase.

x2

TommyD

Ready to race!
Just FYI on this. Chipping doesn't void the warranty. I talked to my dealership in Chicago (which actually does APR upgrades for you) and they said that modding the car will not void the warranty, any modifications that lead directly to a failure will (IE: you kill the rev limiter on the car and overrun it).

If anyone in Chicago area is interested, The AutoBarn does do the upgrades and will warranty the car still. They might track it because like everything else in the world related to data they save everything.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Warranty work on a broken modified car can go either way. I knew a kid that blew up his '98 Prelude using 100-shot of nitrous at the drag strip. The car was towed to the Honda dealership and his longblock was replaced under warranty. Repair to the car was up to the discretion of the service manager in his case. I'm sure it is the same with VW.

sick12gti

Ready to race!
I got my GTI in Nov. the I asked him what I could do with the car under warrenty he was like whatever you want.. LOL but I did have him sign a paper saying he was down with that..

McQueen77

Banned
Some guy at VW Pasadena told me a story about a guy with a chipped GTI, who sounded like an idiot anyway, but it went like this for him. He supposedly did a 5-2 downshift or something stupid like that doing 75mph and completely blew his engine - bent rods, etc. They suspected he was tuned, somehow they found out or saw signs he was tuned and they denied warranty work. Cost of repair was so much that he was basically screwed on all fronts. They put the word out to other socal VW dealers to deny any work on the guy's car. Obviously this is a totally unusual case and the guy was an idiot.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Only idiots downshift into the wrong gear. I've "driven" against people on the highway plenty of times (not in my GTI of course) and have never missed gear. People who drop gears and foul up needs to go back to driver's training class. Bent valves aren't covered under warranty....unless it is a recall.....in which rarely happens.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
Only idiots downshift into the wrong gear. I've "driven" against people on the highway plenty of times (not in my GTI of course) and have never missed gear. People who drop gears and foul up needs to go back to driver's training class. Bent valves aren't covered under warranty....unless it is a recall.....in which rarely happens.

Anyone that drives a manual should know their gears like the back of their hand, how many times do you shift a day? 50-100 times easily. No excuse for bad downshifts.

adrock301

Certified Pre-Owned
(lol...what he said^)

By the way...I'd get it in writing that they will honor the full CPO warranty despite the modifications/tune that were in place prior to the purchase.

Well maybe this is a weird situation, the dealer was advertising on the web that it had an exhaust and a 91 oct tune... and the website said it was CPO, When I went to finally buy it, they said it was a mistake and the car was too new for CPO, it was only 4 months old. I said I would just get a new one from the other dealer, and of course they said hold on, let me call someone... they came back and said again that VW said they can't CPO a car that new but could give me $500 off... still I wasn't exactly cool with that, maybe I should have been, but at the last minute they said that VoA called them back and could CPO the car, but I would have to wait a day or so to pick it up as they have to do the paperwork again etc...

Right after I bought the car (had a 5 day return) I sent an email to VoA and said, Hi I just bought this car with this VIN from this dealer, I just wanted to double check to make sure it was a CPO since the dealer told me I had to come back a day later so they could CPO the car, but I didn't receive anything in writing that it was. They responded that it was indeed a certified car.

So I am guessing they all know about it, but I wasn't screaming "TUNZ I HAZ IT!!" to the VoA people.

Sorry for the ramble...:eek:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Some guy at VW Pasadena told me a story about a guy with a chipped GTI, who sounded like an idiot anyway, but it went like this for him. He supposedly did a 5-2 downshift or something stupid like that doing 75mph and completely blew his engine - bent rods, etc. They suspected he was tuned, somehow they found out or saw signs he was tuned and they denied warranty work. Cost of repair was so much that he was basically screwed on all fronts. They put the word out to other socal VW dealers to deny any work on the guy's car. Obviously this is a totally unusual case and the guy was an idiot.

Mechanical over rev has nothing to do with a tune. The story you got may be true but its in no way accurate at all. His warranty was void because he did self inflicted mechanical damage it was not a defect which is what a warranty covers. This is basically like he drove into a wall and VW said no we will not replace your bumper.

The tune had nothing to do with the denial of repair.