VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to test for bad PCV? (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115344)

edwardnese 03-07-2018 01:19 AM

How to test for bad PCV?

Hey guys i did some research and there seems to be multiple ways to test a bad PCV but i am still confused as to what signs to look for. So far i tested by:
  1. Start engine leave it idling, remove engine oil cap, engine starts sputtering and vibrating pretty hard.

Does this mean that my PCV is still good?

Wascally Wabbit 03-07-2018 01:57 AM

Yes I think that is normal. I believe if there is no change it is bad. I just replaced mine so I know it is good and my car does the same as yours when I remove the oil cap.

snobrdrdan 03-07-2018 02:03 AM

If higher mileage, just change it out for a new one since it is a maintenance item.
It's a simple swap and a pretty cheap part

Boscogn 03-07-2018 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snobrdrdan (Post 2573843)
If higher mileage, just change it out for a new one since it is a maintenance item.
It's a simple swap and a pretty cheap part

Hehe I thought u were trolling by telling them to change oil cap but I'm drinking and it just dawned on me ur talking about pcv

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Carlosfandango 03-07-2018 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardnese (Post 2573834)
Hey guys i did some research and there seems to be multiple ways to test a bad PCV but i am still confused as to what signs to look for. So far i tested by:
  1. Start engine leave it idling, remove engine oil cap, engine starts sputtering and vibrating pretty hard.

Does this mean that my PCV is still good?

That DOES generally mean the PCV is good, however they can fail in several different ways and most do not directly produce any fault codes, but yours is probably good unless youíre getting other symptoms,

Take a look at this,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwardnese 03-07-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango (Post 2573852)
That DOES generally mean the PCV is good, however they can fail in several different ways and most do not directly produce any fault codes, but yours is probably good unless youíre getting other symptoms,

Take a look at this,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Thanks for that link, i am only suspecting PVC failure because i have a slow oil leak that happened recently about the size of 2 quarters that drips only after i have driven the car. Read online that a bad pcv can cause pressure buildup which would then blow our the rear main seal, but i havent gotten any CELs or fault codes.

Carlosfandango 03-07-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardnese (Post 2573901)
Thanks for that link, i am only suspecting PVC failure because i have a slow oil leak that happened recently about the size of 2 quarters that drips only after i have driven the car. Read online that a bad pcv can cause pressure buildup which would then blow our the rear main seal, but i havent gotten any CELs or fault codes.

I had a failed PCV last year that also took out the rear main! The only symptom was oil dripping from the join between the transmission and engine which started as a few drips but quickly got much worse, I had no CELís or fault codes, the PCV rarely logs any faults (directly) if at all, I also had to change the clutch as oil had got onto it as I left it a bit too long! I also changed the flywheel as it had to come off to do the seal so it wasnít a cheap repair for me, if it is your rear main be sure to use the latest revision and fit it correctly (not like the old revision) or it will leak again straight away!

markus037 03-07-2018 08:05 PM

i replaced mine at 55k for peace of mind

edwardnese 03-08-2018 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlosfandango (Post 2573903)
I had a failed PCV last year that also took out the rear main! The only symptom was oil dripping from the join between the transmission and engine which started as a few drips but quickly got much worse, I had no CELís or fault codes, the PCV rarely logs any faults (directly) if at all, I also had to change the clutch as oil had got onto it as I left it a bit too long! I also changed the flywheel as it had to come off to do the seal so it wasnít a cheap repair for me, if it is your rear main be sure to use the latest revision and fit it correctly (not like the old revision) or it will leak again straight away!

How much was the cost for your jobs? and how long would u say u had the dripping oil issue for? so far its been half a week for me.

BudgetPhoenix 03-08-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardnese (Post 2573964)
How much was the cost for your jobs? and how long would u say u had the dripping oil issue for? so far its been half a week for me.

at a shop rear main seal alone will prob be around 1500. All labor due to removing transmission, bit more difficult if youre DSG.

edwardnese 03-08-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix (Post 2573966)
at a shop rear main seal alone will prob be around 1500. All labor due to removing transmission, bit more difficult if youre DSG.

jesus thats quite a bit my car on kbb is only worth 6-7.5k and i already threw in 1800 in repairs this year for intake cleaning, and timing chain tensioner update.

In a dilemma now

Carlosfandango 03-08-2018 07:08 PM

How to test for bad PCV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardnese (Post 2574065)
jesus thats quite a bit my car on kbb is only worth 6-7.5k and i already threw in 1800 in repairs this year for intake cleaning, and timing chain tensioner update.

In a dilemma now

£1189.08 GBP for me, (around $1650 US)

the clutch and flywheel were at cost price as the shop owed me a favour and the PCV was free due to the previous one only lasting a few months causing the rear main problem!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a74d1cb759.jpg