VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   clutch rattle/vibration/chatter and noise (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57082)

damiennn 04-14-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushinr (Post 1151393)
Do you hear sort of vibration when clutch is pressed in and you rev the engine?

I am planing to fight this to the top. And if I am told its normal by VWoA I am going to be pissed. After spending a couple days searching clutch issues with VW and Audi it seems to be a huge issue across the board to a point where I think it's a massive design issue and unless people complain more about it and hold VW accountable there will not be any change.

No, no vibrations of any kind. Also, clutch is not slipping at all and it performs well so far. Just the chatter... Annoying, but thats it. Not always chattery, just sometimes. Although more noticeable now that the soundaktor is gone.

rushinr 04-15-2013 10:15 PM

well, i went to drive a brand new R and GTI and both were doing the stupid spin down and pedal vibration. The FSI gti had a horrid chatter from DMF it sounded like a freaking diesel when letting out the clutch. I am very freaking disappointed.

damiennn 04-16-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushinr (Post 1153564)
well, i went to drive a brand new R and GTI and both were doing the stupid spin down and pedal vibration. The FSI gti had a horrid chatter from DMF it sounded like a freaking diesel when letting out the clutch. I am very freaking disappointed.

Yeah, a bit of a downer... for sure.
More of an incentive to start saving for a performance clutch.

rushinr 04-16-2013 08:26 AM

I don't think a performance clutch will be any better. It will chatter more and if its smf it will make all kinda of loud noises. I guess it's just how VW trannies are and engines.

-yz- 04-16-2013 10:28 AM

I just brought my car in for an oil change and I'm having them check out this chatter noise as well. It's been happening since I bought the car and I only have 5300 miles on it. It's annoying if anything and is most noticeable when the car is cold. It's gets a "tiny bit" quieter after a 20min of driving.

In neutral there is no rattle or noise, no slipping that I can tell either. Pedal feel is fine too. I just want to know if this is NORMAL or not. My clutch otherwise feels fine. From the below comment from above, it may just be normal I'm thinking.

Quote:

I hear the chatter/rattle even sitting in neutral when i depress the clutch pedal and slightly rev (800-1200 rpm).
This is EXACTLY the same thing I'm experiencing. You can 1/2 depress the clutch and rev to replicate the sound.

rushinr 04-16-2013 11:07 AM

The fsi gti I drove had horrible chatter when starting off the line. And the R had really strong spin down noise when shifting gears.

rushinr 04-20-2013 11:10 PM

cross posting this with VWvortex. Here is the noise i get with clutch pedal depressed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaAWP0hLbU

And the spin down noise i was talking about earlier can be replicated somewhat by just revving the engine with the clutch pedal depressed. The engine actually sounds quite different when revved up with clutch engaged and disengaged.

Anybody else get this noise when slightly revving the engine with clutch pressed in?

rushinr 04-28-2013 12:55 PM

Bump! Dealer is telling its normal. Which I say is bull shit. I have driven over 100 cars in the last year and none of them so this.

They are willing to escalate the issue and opened a VTA but I have a feeling I won't get anything done any time soon.

I feel like this is possible flywheel or TOB related. Anybody?

TLud 04-28-2013 05:47 PM

Not normal. Neither mine nor any other R that I've been in has made that sound. I wonder if they replaced all your original parts with like parts or if they have identified an issue with one or more of the components and are replacing with new parts. Maybe you can ask them that and/or ask to see any applicable service bulletin.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

rushinr 04-28-2013 06:39 PM

The sound was not there when they first installed replacement clutch. I was told disk and flywheel where different part number.

TLud 04-29-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushinr (Post 1176560)
The sound was not there when they first installed replacement clutch. I was told disk and flywheel where different part number.

I would go back to the original version of the DMF and pair it with Sach's SRE performance clutch kit (pressure plate and clutch disk). Should be as quiet as original and ready to handle any power upgrades you want to do.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

rushinr 04-29-2013 10:49 AM

I have a feeling DMF is causing some of this too. For sure causing shudder.

Today I noticed that the noise I filmed in the video is not there when the car is cold. So when it fully warms up that's when the noise is really strong.

rushinr 04-29-2013 10:49 AM

Today I noticed that the noise I filmed in the video is not there when the car is cold. So when it fully warms up that's when the noise is really strong.

TLud 04-29-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushinr (Post 1177476)

It's funny because the primary purpose of a DMF is to smooth out and dampen engine vibration/motion. I wonder how the new part is different from the old one or whether it was a bad install job. Either way, definitely not normal.