VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VW center cap removal (https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29676)

jbcritch 12-27-2011 04:50 PM

VW center cap removal

I've searched on here and google. I cant find the answer to this dumb question:

to remove the center caps do I have to take off the wheel? If not, how do I remove them? :mad0259:

vilesyntax 12-27-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbcritch (Post 479562)
I've searched on here and google. I cant find the answer to this dumb question:

to remove the center caps do I have to take off the wheel? If not, how do I remove them? :mad0259:

Yes, you have to take the wheel off. From the inside of the wheel, I used a flat head screwdriver and carefully them (lifted the clip...).

flug2012 12-27-2011 05:06 PM

No need to take the wheel off the car... just use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the centercap out. Take care not to scratch the wheel when doing this.:w00t:

jbcritch 12-27-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilesyntax (Post 479566)
Yes, you have to take the wheel off. From the inside of the wheel, I used a flat head screwdriver and carefully them (lifted the clip...).

Quote:

Originally Posted by flug2012 (Post 479572)
No need to take the wheel off the car... just use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the centercap out. Take care not to scratch the wheel when doing this.:w00t:

hmmmmmm.....I like diversity, but not in my "how to" manual....:D

flug2012 12-27-2011 05:20 PM

Hey this is how they steal my caps in Miami, what can I say...

Stocktastic 12-27-2011 05:20 PM

Take it off, use two fingers, insert them into the hole until it comes out.

Wait.

jbcritch 12-27-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocktastic (Post 479585)

We still talking about wheel cap removal here....? :eek:

I was afraid I would have to remove them. I got some Wolfsburg center caps for Christmas and want to put them on, but will wait for my next balance and rotation.

vilesyntax 12-27-2011 08:40 PM

I guess it might be possible when the wheel is on.. I took my wheels off and it seemed like the "right" way to take them out...

Trogdor 12-27-2011 11:11 PM

[quote=vilesyntax;479788]I guess it might be possible when the wheel is on.. I took my wheels off and it seemed like the "right" way to take them out...[/QUOTE

It all boils down to whether you want to risk scraping your wheels. If you feel lazy do two a day...off swap on, repeat as necessarily :thumbsup:

Stocktastic 12-27-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocktastic (Post 479585)

Wait.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilesyntax (Post 479788)
I guess it might be possible when the wheel is on.. I took my wheels off and it seemed like the "right" way to take them out...

That's the "right" way.

:lol:

DDKing13 03-17-2014 11:17 AM

Excuse my resurrecting of a dead thread...

But are the centercaps pretty easy to remove? Or should I just buy new ones to put on my new wheels?

spiker369 03-17-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDKing13 (Post 1680848)
Excuse my resurrecting of a dead thread...

But are the centercaps pretty easy to remove? Or should I just buy new ones to put on my new wheels?

Since you have new wheels you will already have your old ones off. Caps are stupid simple to remove. Just push from behind the cap with two fingers like the guy stated a few posts above. It'll just pop out.

DDKing13 03-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiker369 (Post 1680858)
Since you have new wheels you will already have your old ones off. Caps are stupid simple to remove. Just push from behind the cap with two fingers like the guy stated a few posts above. It'll just pop out.

Sweet. Thanks man :thumbsup:

Johnny Two Tone 03-17-2014 09:13 PM

I can tell from experience that you do not want to attempt to pry the cap off with the wheel on. Not only do you greatly increase the chance of scratching the wheel but you guarantee marring the caps itself (which you may not care about if you are ditching them).

If you are going to toss the caps, and you insist on leaving the wheel on, use a nylon pry tool (a strong one). Either way those suckers aren't coming off cleanly without removing the wheel first.