GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What R U Running on your Golf 2.5 - Post your Mod Profile

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Some of you show their Mods in their signature BUT I'd like to go one step further and start a new Thread; where we make a Mod Profile Post that represents what Mods we have installed on our MK6 Golf 2.5. This will be a great resource for new Golf 2.5 Owners joining our little corner of the world.

You can Edit and keep your "Profile" Updated, as time goes on; as well as post comments, post pictures, ask questions about stuff in the Profile(s). This is kinda what some of the older Bulletin Boards used to do,.... way back when.

I'll go first and start my Mod Profile, you are free to follow the format or create your own and feel free to add pictures and links.

Click on the Name below to go directly to the Individual Mod Profile
Wascally Wabbit
Usefulidiot
FlowMK6
KanyesChest
Brutaledge_
KollinWithaK
SlimBo2.5
Wascally Wabbit #2
CAGolfMk62.5

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
2010 Golf 2.5
Manufacture Date: Nov.2009
ECU: Version AJ MED17
Tune: IE Stage1 and 2 Self installed with V3 Dongle (depending if Stock Intake Manifold is installed or UM/HEP Short Runner Intake Manifold)

Intake Manifold: UM/HEP Short Runner Intake Manifold or VW OE 07K133201K
Cold Air Intake (CAI): Self made with Skunk2 4.5 inch Velocity Stack/Filter
Oil Breather: K&N
Spark Plugs: NGK#4435 ZFR5E-11 (Copper Plugs run cooler and are only $3 each x 5)
Coil Packs: Genuine Audi R8
PCV: Stock OE with Dorman Diaphragm and Cap, with stock hose connected to UM/HEP Short Runner Intake Manifold
Oil: Castrol EDGE 5W30 year round
Vacuum Pump: Original OE VW one, recent resealed
Catch Can: None (tried but too much work and messy)

Manual Transmission: VW 02Q 6 Speed Manual Transmission, with ESC Tuning OEM Short Shifter Kit
Manual Transmission Fluid: VW 6 Speed Manual Transmission Fluid

Exhaust: OE Mid Muffler with Axleback GTI Suitcase Muffler and GTI Rear Valance.

Wheels: 16 VW Reps, 18.2 lbs, Enkei J10 wheels on order (https://www.1010tires.com/Wheels/Enkei/J10/409-670-26BK?vehicleid=75253)
Tires: 205 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Air Pressures: F/R 34/37
Alignment: Custom
Springs: OE
Struts: Koni Sport Yellow - adjustable
Shocks: Koni Sport Yellow - adjustable
Strut Mounts: ECS
Sway Bars: Hotchkis 27mm F / R (all fasteners torqued to 35 ft-lbs). Lubed with this Grease
Sway Bar End Links: ECS
Brake Pads: Street: Hawk HPS / Track: Porterfields R4s SOLD
Brake Rotors: VW OE 288mm (F)
Brake Fluid: VW Brake Fluid
Brake Cooling Scoops (F) Removed
Brake Bushings: VW OE
Lower Control Arm Bushings: Rear - pressed-in Febi #33973 / Front - Febi
Engine/Transmission Mount: CTS Turbo Street Performance Mount (from a Canadian Company no less)
Dog Bone Insert: ECS
TTRS Crank Pulley

Gas Pedal: Rennline REN-P45-B Gas Pedal, Heel-Toe Throttle Extension, REN PA71 Adjustable Lifter Plate SOLD

Radio: Eonon GA6153W, with backup camera; custom relay setup to turn on with reverse trigger signal

Headlights: OE VW with LED H7 replacements

ZRickety ESP Defeat, allows 2 Stage ESP(Turn off Traction Control / Totally Turn off ESP)

Comments: This car is not a Cafe Racer but it works well on track, lively handling with skinny tires, fun, fun fun. Nothing gets added unless it adds performance.
Can switch between Integrated Engineering 2.5 Tunes, Stage1 or 2 with V3 Dongle. Currently running IE Stage2 Tune with UM/HEP Short Runner Intake Manifold, 194 HP at the wheels.

Last edited:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting this. Mine is largely stock, but, I’ve decided to keep this car it as it’s been problem free(I’m looking to buy something fun as a weekend project car). My plan is to start upgrading parts on the Golf. This will be a great reference.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for posting this. Mine is largely stock, but, I’ve decided to keep this car it as it’s been problem free(I’m looking to buy something fun as a weekend project car). My plan is to start upgrading parts on the Golf. This will be a great reference.
Thanks, wasn't intending to use mine as reference but for others to participate and make it a good resource tool.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Yeah...obviously not a copy cat build as we have different needs, but a resource. I try to keep up on what folks are doing and why. You guys are great about talking success and failures for all to benefit.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
2012 Golf 2.5L
Grey
2 Door
Manual Transmission
105K Miles

Interior:
GTI Leather Steering Wheel
Jetta 5spd Wolfsberg Edition Leather Shift Knob
TDI Leather E-brake Handle
Leather Center Console
LED Interior Light Kit

Exterior:
TDI Foglights
Tinted Windows
Blind Spot Mirrors
Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack

Electronics:
RCD330 Stereo
Euro Switch

Engine:
DIY intake
IE SRI Manifold
IE Valve Cover
IE Fuel Rail
IE Stage 2 Tune
034 Density Line Engine Mount

Transmission:
Dieselgeek Sigma 5 Short Shifter
Stainless Steel Clutch Line
034 Motorsports Billet Dogbone Insert
034 Density Line Transmission Mount

Suspension:
GTI Struts
GTI Springs
GTI Front Sway Bar
GTI Rear Sway Bar
TT Strut Mounts

Wheels & Tires:
Enkei Fujin Wheels
Conti DW 225/45R16

Brakes:
OEM

Tools:
VCDS
IE V3 Flash Tool

VCDS Mods:
Disabled DRL's
Disabled Horn Honk When Locking Doors

That's the final setup.

Attachments

• 20190407_084239.jpg
    20190407_084239.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 480
Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Right on! I did the spec sheet thing to show or give an example; everyone free to create their own.

WW, Yours is some list. :thumbsup:

You got the P-Flo working with the IE Intake Manifold super cool. That's a great cold air intake it works pretty good, doesn't heat up and can fit most mods eh! This is an example of stuff that can be done that we can discuss in "break out threads".

Thinking about getting the JI leather steering wheel cover but I can't see well enough to install it, it could take me a year to get 'er done.

Thanks for participating.

Post up what you got, most people will start with basic list as we all do, but once you start you'll be surprised how fast your Profile will grow, there are alot we take for granted that may help someone else by giving ideas.

The Golf can be both Daily Driver and Project car, and save you money.This engine is bullet proof as VW engines go, our car does Daily Duties, goes on track, revs to the fuel cut off and drives back home with no issues. Hell when I go south to SC at the end of the month it will be on track at least once a week.

Last edited:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
2011 United Grey 2 Door - Margot
270000KM(Jan 2023)

Sportline Trim
Sunroof
Leather Steering Wheel
Leather Handbrake
(Came with ‘sport suspension adjacent’, GTI seats minus the Jacky Cloth, upgraded Media)

Enkei TFR - Copper - 17”
Firestone Firehawk

Winter:
17" Goals
Conti Viking Contact 7
Wolfsburg centre caps

Audi A5 front seats
RCD330 w. Carplay

Koni Sports
H&R Sports
TTRS mounts

OEM Bi Xenon
OEM LED Tails
LED everything else exterior.

Audi(Bosch)Red Top Coils
NGK Plugs - PZFR5J-11
Skunk intake(MLue1)
United Motorsport Stage 1 Tune
034 Motorsport Dogbone insert
Resonator and suitcase delete(both rusted out)
Mid muffler remains(Unreal sound from the i5)
R32 belly pan guard - full coverage(Feb 2020)

Zimmerman Rotors
Stoptech Front, OEM rear pads

Tinted windows
3M PPF on hood, rear bumper, door sills
Rear hatch spoiler extension(faux carbon)Feb2020

Not much really else of note. I decided last year(2017) that I was going to keep it instead of trading it in on something else, hence keeping it largely stock to that point(early 2018). 250000k at 10+ years of ownership without a CEL and standard consumables and replacement parts based on life cycle.

Run 91 octane and do oil every 7000km. Just did brakes for the second time last fall. Trans filter/fluid/coilpacks/plugs,valve cover gasket done at approx 75k -140k -220k. Blower motor at 120K..other than that this car has been tip top.

*Suspension refresh with Koni Sports, H&R Sports, TT RS mounts, endlinks, all new hardware, dust boots, and bump stops - March 2019@150K.

**Front left axle(OEM) - March 2019

***Control Arms, Front Endlinks, Front Strut Mounts & Bearings, Drivers Tie Rod - Dec 2022@268K

****Resonator and Suitcase delete - Magnaflow dual tip Feb 2020Clean for a day.jpgA24BD7C7-0225-4CF9-8F3F-6FE778AA4E5B.jpeg

Attachments

• B8D5D7F4-54E2-4DAB-880E-149A7FDA12B9.jpeg
    B8D5D7F4-54E2-4DAB-880E-149A7FDA12B9.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 357
  • 38BDE04F-CD33-4551-B900-3C8970746193.jpeg
    38BDE04F-CD33-4551-B900-3C8970746193.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 332
  • 530330F0-4BA7-40AA-8341-4E6F0F2BCFF5.jpeg
    530330F0-4BA7-40AA-8341-4E6F0F2BCFF5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 369
  • 1FE42C60-9C00-4E40-90E3-ABB44F87B653.jpeg
    1FE42C60-9C00-4E40-90E3-ABB44F87B653.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,307
  • 42A29F53-5299-4445-94A5-DD4593718747.jpeg
    42A29F53-5299-4445-94A5-DD4593718747.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 359
  • DF91C160-7856-4F8D-B0F7-4FF392A9A566.jpeg
    DF91C160-7856-4F8D-B0F7-4FF392A9A566.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 426
  • 8B217BFE-D6EA-42AE-BF15-9C78D1A406EC.jpeg
    8B217BFE-D6EA-42AE-BF15-9C78D1A406EC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 274
  • 801CCFAC-6238-42AC-B7E6-8C9F21E85F92.jpeg
    801CCFAC-6238-42AC-B7E6-8C9F21E85F92.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 366
Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
2010 Trendline Blue 4-door with 189 000km

"Performance / Handling"

H&R 28mm front sway bar, set to soft with Teflon bushing
H&R 24mm rear sway bar, set to stiff
Whiteline Anti Lift kit (Control Arms bushing)
IE Intake manifold
UnitedMotorsport Intake Manifold tune
225/40R18 Pirelli tires
Brake stainless line
034Motorsport engine and transmission mounts
Spulen dog bone + bushing

"Cosmetic"
TSW Amaroo wheel 18x8.5 with 43offset, wheels look good but are way too much heavy, about 45lb / each if I remember

IE fuel rail

LED Taillights with rear fog and euroswitch
Wrapped fog lights
Tinted windows, I don't remember how much ^^
Coilovers SoloWerks S1, 2.5" front and ~2.75" rear

"Other mods"
6-speed manual 02Q, I broke the differential on the 5speed and decided to swap it for a 02Q with a OEM short shifter that was on Europe cars, changed the slave cylinder / bearing, seals, etc...

USPMotorsport High-low catalytic converter with an aftermarket flexible, since it broke a few months ago

TectonicTuning cat-back with single Borla muffler, sound good but a bit too loud and miss a resonator, drone is annoying near 120km/h

Universal Catch can vented to atmosphere
PCV diaphragm removed
Neuspeed p-flow, better fit with the intake manifold than my old AFE Power

Pioneer 1200W subwoofer with Pioneer 1600W (I'm not sure), 1 channel and 4ohm resistance

"Maintenance stuff"
I used Castrol Edge 5w40 in the past, but I'm now using Liqui Moly 5w40 with Mann filter

I replaced the front hub & bearing, ECS disk and Hawk HPS+ pad (they are a bit noisy, but brake nicely in cold and hot temperature)

StopTech pads for the rear, I really recommend their products, not too much brake dust, not noisy and nice braking performance and cheaper than the noisy Hawk...

Vacuum pump delete kit (Spulen / USPMotorsport)
R8 coil packs last revision and I always use the NGK spark plug #4435, great performance overall for the price

I replace the valve cover gasket twice, a few months ago and a week ago

Fuel filter, polen filter, coolant fluid, belts and that's pretty much it

The car is very reliable knowing the fact that I'm not easy on her, I only replaced valve cover gasket and the tranny broke due to how I use my car, otherwise it's really reliable and easy to maintain :) Oh I replaced the injectors seals but that due to the intake manifold install

I might have forgotten stuff

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
WW, Yours is some list. 👍

I had a good donor car to pull the stereo, wheels, fogs, and bluetooth from.

Thinking about getting the JI leather steering wheel cover but I can't see well enough to install it

It's not too bad. You don't have to actually sew. It's more like weavng. You just run line through the stitching on the leather. That's what creates that x pattern.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Flow, you didn't forget anything. Lots of good stuff done! Get rid of those heavy wheels, beter get up and go and the
handling will be even better at the limit.

It's not too bad. You don't have to actually sew. It's more like weavinng. You just run line through the stitchhing on the leather. That's what creates that x pattern.
WW, I may order one to see, ... pun :lol:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sportline Trim(sports suspenson - sways are same as Golf)

17" Goals

034 Motorsport Dogbone insert

LED headlights
OEM LED Tails

3M PPF on hood, rear bumper, door sills
Your car except the color is the same as my Brother in Law's, the Canadian Sportline basically has the GTI springs and your sways are not the same as the regular Golf 2.5, prolly TDI. The only thing I'm not sure of are the struts and shocks, I don't think they are GTI, but could be wrong. The 17" Goals are a wheel in demand (at least in Canada) keep 'em.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Flow, you didn't forget anything. Lots of good stuff done! Get rid of those heavy wheels, beter get up and go and the
handling will be even better at the limit.

WW, I may order one to see, ... pun :lol:

Couldn't agree more :) Those wheels add so much rotating mass which slow down my acceleration and that extra unsprung weight made the handling worst :(

Does someone know how the stock 15" weight ?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Couldn't agree more :) Those wheels add so much rotating mass which slow down my acceleration and that extra unsprung weight made the handling worst :(

Does someone know how the stock 15" weight ?
Ouh, ouh, ouh,... ask me, ask me! :attention_whore:

19-19.5 lbs I have 6 of them in my garage, :iono: for some reason the weight vary among the 6, even without the lead wheel weights installed on them.

It's not just the weight that affect the acceleration, the diameter affects the over all rotating mass as well, the further out from center the mass (no matter how much), it takes additional power (torque) to rotate. A 15 inch wheel will always require less torque to turn compared to a 17 inch wheel of the same weight. People always bring the point "it handles or feels better", BUT in majority of cases you stand to make up more on the straights than in the corners. Takes good driving and guts tho !!!

Wheel weight may not be an issue for a GTI with all that torque from the turbo but makes a difference to the 2.5.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Ouh, ouh, ouh,... ask me, ask me! :attention_whore:

19-19.5 lbs I have 6 of them in my garage, :iono: for some reason the weight vary among the 6, even without the lead wheel weights installed on them.

It's not just the weight that affect the acceleration, the diameter affects the over all rotating mass as well, the further out from center the mass (no matter how much), it takes additional power (torque) to rotate. A 15 inch wheel will always require less torque to turn compared to a 17 inch wheel of the same weight. People always bring the point "it handles or feels better", BUT in majority of cases you stand to make up more on the straights than in the corners. Takes good driving and guts tho !!!

Wheel weight may not be an issue for a GTI with all that torque from the turbo but makes a difference to the 2.5.

Only 19lb, ouch ! This means if I'm applying the ratio of weight added for a rotating unsprung mass which is near 1:7 in general, this means that my extra 23lb per wheel (the exact weight of my wheel is 42lb) feels like an extra 161lb per wheel, that like 4 extra passagers sitting in my car ^^

And it's a good point about the diameter but since I love technical stuff, I'm going to share some nice information about this

The stock tire size of the 15" is 195/65R15 which means the diameter of the wheel (including the tire) is 25"

For the 225/40R18 the overall diameter is 25.1"

The force of a moving object is F = ma

Let's say both rims got the same weight, so the weight doesn't change (m) in the formula, in this case, an higher force means a better acceleration (a)

Now, to calculate that force, without taking in consideration the traction effiency of the road, tire and blablabla

We can use this formula which give the traction force (work for a car with 2 wheels that do work)

Traction force (in Newtons) = Engine Torque (Nm) * powertrain effiency (%) * transmission ratio * differential ratio / Tire rolling radius (in meters)

The variable that will change in this equation is the tire rolling radius, for this purpose, I'm going to use the ratio from a 02Q tranny

Now time to set the variable :

Engine torque (nm) : 240nm
Powertrain effiency (%) : Based of engine dyno and whp dyno, I noticed a drivetrain loss of 17%, so let's say an effiency of 83%
Transmission ratio in first gear : 3.360
Differential ratio (final drive) : 3.940

For a 195/65R15 tire

0.635m

Traction force = 240 * 0.83 * 3.360 * 3.940 / 0.635
= 4 152N = 4.152KN

For a 225/40R18 tire

Traction force = 240 * 0.83 * 3.360 * 3.940 / 0.63754

= 4 136N = 4.136KN

It's hard to calculate the acceleration since we have to take in consideration that it's not a fixed number since the engine torque output is variable, we don't have an adhesion coeficient between the road and tire and the mass applied to wheel (ground), etc...

But we can still use those number to tell which car have more potential to be faster than the other, since F = ma

m is a fixed variable on this example, on the 15inch wheel F greater by a very little difference than the 18inch but that's due to the tire used

If we have two rims which their weight is the same thing but their diameter isn't the same, for example, a 195/65R15 and 255/35R18, they have the same diameter of 25", no change in acceleration potential

The difference between the 18inch and the 15 inch, the 18inch have a wider contact point on the ground so a better traction, but lower sidewall (profile) making the ride less comfortable

My conclusion, it's possible to use bigger wheel if it weight the same and have the same rolling radius than the smaller one. Unfortunately, bigger wheel are often heavier than smaller one increasing the inertia and making acceleration a bit slower and affecting handling since it's unsprung mass added to the car, but wider tire allow more traction on the ground

Last edited: