GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NEW today....2010 GTI.....my first German engineered car.

NWOB74

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi folks!

Just picked up my new 2010 GTI. I LOVE it! Excellent car!

After more pre-purchase research than I have ever done, I feel I've made the right decision. Even the timing was perfect, blessed with four days of sunny and 70 degree weather for my first days of VW ownership.

The car is a four-door, Tornado Red with Autobahn package, 18" Denvers as well as the Dynaudio sound system.

This is our fourth car in the"stable". Got this mainly to make daily summer driving more fun. Much better than driving around all summer in a big (and aging) SUV. I also feel a bit better about the improved gas mileage.

So far the GTI is perfect. It's such a a FUN car to drive.

I'll log in more astime goes on as I'm sure I'' havesome questions. But for now, I'm just enjoying that new car feeling and the anticipation of my next drive in it.

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
Picture?

Hi folks!

Just picked up my new 2010 GTI. I LOVE it! Excellent car!

After more pre-purchase research than I have ever done, I feel I've made the right decision. Even the timing was perfect, blessed with four days of sunny and 70 degree weather for my first days of VW ownership.

The car is a four-door, Tornado Red with Autobahn package, 18" Denvers as well as the Dynaudio sound system.

This is our fourth car in the"stable". Got this mainly to make daily summer driving more fun. Much better than driving around all summer in a big (and aging) SUV. I also feel a bit better about the improved gas mileage.

So far the GTI is perfect. It's such a a FUN car to drive.

I'll log in more astime goes on as I'm sure I'' havesome questions. But for now, I'm just enjoying that new car feeling and the anticipation of my next drive in it.

I have to agree with the above posters, even after owning some hot subies, nothing matches the feel of the planted, German feeling. Have a loaner 2.5 Jetta as I'm getting service on the GTI and even that car is well planted for being a base model, rental level car.

How about some photos? We all know what one looks like, but it's nice to share. Congratulations on your new car.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Some may argue or even complain about German vs Japanese reliability, but the fact remains the Germans know how to make a car that provides the full package: design, ergonomics, solid construction and a viseral driving experience unmatched (at this point) by any non-german car company.

Congrats on the new ride and nice choice!

I completey agree the GTI has a fun factor that is unmatched in this or even higher price categories.

Antero128

Ready to race!
There's even something about the sound the car door makes when it opens and closes that only German cars have. :) Good choice on the car, you'll love it!

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
I'm amazed at all the previous Japanese-manufactured car owners that never realized what they were missing. There is truth in "ignorance is bliss".

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I'm amazed at all the previous Japanese-manufactured car owners that never realized what they were missing. There is truth in "ignorance is bliss".

My argument for Japanese cars is pure economics. Out of warranty cost of ownership: German >>> Japanese, across the board. The less stuff breaks, the more $ stays in your pocket. German cars have always looked and driven better.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Some may argue or even complain about German vs Japanese reliability, but the fact remains the Germans know how to make a car that provides the full package: design, ergonomics, solid construction and a viseral driving experience unmatched (at this point) by any non-german car company.

Congrats on the new ride and nice choice!

I completey agree the GTI has a fun factor that is unmatched in this or even higher price categories.

I have always had the opinion that the Japs steal from the Germans primarily, some from the Scandinavians. They make good copies. Notice how MBZ, BMW, VW, and Audi come out with something cool, then you see it next year on the Jap cars.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Maybe not steal... but the technology becomes cheaper and more adaptable. I certainly don't think VW fits in with the rest of those brands though.

MB, BMW, etc. always get the newer, cooler technologies because they're a more expensive brand than Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. So they can afford to put better toys in their cars. It's like how the Merc S-Class had many "firsts" such as ABS which were adopted about 10 years later into common (ie. Japanese) cars.

It kind of boils down to image. Would you feel better paying 100K for a Mercedes? Or 100K for a Honda? It's similar to why the VW Phaeton failed in North America. It had more gadgets and gizmos than an S-class, and carried a similar price tag. People just couldn't get past the badge. And in that same sort of mentality... Japanese makers have to wait until these gizmos come down in price so they can offer it on a 30K car.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Maybe not steal... but the technology becomes cheaper and more adaptable. I certainly don't think VW fits in with the rest of those brands though.

MB, BMW, etc. always get the newer, cooler technologies because they're a more expensive brand than Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. So they can afford to put better toys in their cars. It's like how the Merc S-Class had many "firsts" such as ABS which were adopted about 10 years later into common (ie. Japanese) cars.

It kind of boils down to image. Would you feel better paying 100K for a Mercedes? Or 100K for a Honda? It's similar to why the VW Phaeton failed in North America. It had more gadgets and gizmos than an S-class, and carried a similar price tag. People just couldn't get past the badge. And in that same sort of mentality... Japanese makers have to wait until these gizmos come down in price so they can offer it on a 30K car.

Was the technology cheaper and more adaptable because they stole it, and massed produced uber cheap due to no research dollars spent as well as time spent because of theft and reverese engineering the product, doesn't take as much brains to do that and it can be done quickly. But I hear you, and the Phaeton and 100K honda is a good point.

callmegti

Go Kart Champion
having driven japanese cars and had a biased towards them i finally jumped the gun and went euro. I have to say i do feel more of the "soul" in this car but i will always have love for japanese cars but its slowly fading away lol