GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedo and Cruise about 1 MPH off.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
There was this speed checker thing the cops put out on popular roads to speed on. They put that out for a week, then the next week they radar the piss out of everyone coming through.

So I used this to check something that I noticed. When I set the cruiser to the posted speed limit, as its so easy to speed in these cars, I set the cruiser at say 40MPH (and down in the MFI), but the speedo head reads 41. And guess what, so does the polices radar speed checker.

So the cruiser and the speedo head are not exactly in sync. At any speed, it is always 1 MPH off. Rather annoying.

Is this noticed by anyone else?

Antero128

Ready to race!
Yea, mine is even worse. My Speedo says 1 thing, the speed in the center says a different speed, and the speed on my Garmin GPS says something else. When I bring my car in for the 60 day service im just gonna have them fix it.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Is this noticed by anyone else?

Yes. Our speedometer reads about 1 MPH above the cruise's indicated 'set' speed. I've not yet checked it against GPS.

Speedometers reading a tad higher than actual is not unusual for any mfr. Heck - in motorcycles they can be as high as 10% off. TEN PERCENT!! My Highlander reads about 2 MPH high at 75 MPH indicated (against GPS).

Has anyone checked their speedometer against either a real, calibrated radar gun, or a GPS unit (I've found those 'indicator' radar signs to be all over the place with regard to accuracy)? FWIW, I'll check ours against GPS the next time I drive it and post the results, but that probably won't happen til the weekend.

MofoG23

Ready to race!
Same problem here.

I noticed this problem when I use the MFD to display my speed, it does not match exactly with the analog speedometer (about 1mph off).

Antero128

Ready to race!
Yea, there is no reason why this should be acceptable. This is the first car that I have driven that has had this problem. My Mercedes doesnt do this at any speed and neither did my Acura or Escalade.. Heck, even my SRT4 was accurate. If a neon could match my GPS I think a German built VW should do the same.

FN in MT

Ready to race!
Mine is 1 mph off at speeds up to 80 mph..or so it seems anyway.

Meaning my speedo will indicate +1 mph versus the MFI reading.

FN in MT

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Interesting how this is so consistant...

TDI110

O_o
Ditto on that too. however, did you guys also notice an almost 10km/h difference btwn GPS and MFA speed?

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Ditto on that too. however, did you guys also notice an almost 10km/h difference btwn GPS and MFA speed?

When you say GPS, do you mean a had held or thrird party, and not another VW on-board product?

Even so, I would think that there would be a slight difference between GPS and MFA, just not very much. I would expect zero difference between CC and speedo-head.

TDI110

O_o
I've noticed it on my Tom Tom and Igo nav systems. Yesterday when I was coming home from my girl friend's parent's house on my Speedo and MFA my speed was 170km/h while on the GPS (both tom tom and igo) it was displayed at 150km/h. I have no experience in the stock nav unit, maybe someone who does can tell us if there's a difference.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
Mine is also at +1 difference. I am wondering how many of you have 18" wheels?

VW may be calibrated to the standard 17" wheels and the +1 sizing on our Detroits may be slightly off in diameter. I imagine the same sensors are used for the speedometer and MFD, but since that signal is converted to an analog movement for the speedometer, the translation may not be perfect? :iono:

On the other hand, even in Nazi land Ohio (home state of seemingly thousands of Highway Patrol cars), no one bugs you until you are 10 MPH over on the freeway, so I can't get excited about 1 MPH :D

charger567

My 06 GTI would read 80 mph while my Garmin GPS would show 72 mph. My new MKVI GTI reads 80 mph and the GPS shows 82 mph. What's more acurate, VW or Garmin?