GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KDR Motorwerks Release: TSI Grounding Kit

John@KDRmotorwerks

Passed Driver's Ed
X2

Though there is some benefit to improving grounds, HP is not one of them...Poor choice of links above. All within expected run to run variances..

If there is a 5whp increase shown in Dyno graphs it could just be what you called "run to run variance".

That is the reason why we did not and will not post dyno graphs of our product or try to sell this product for HP gains.

What I can promise is that the KDR Grounding kit will make throttle response quicker, the car will start up much easier and will keep the electronics working more efficiently.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Can you show the ground connection points that you connected your wires to/install instructions?

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
Show me pictures of measurements from a REAL ohmmeter (not a multimeter, if you are legitimate in your testing and development, you'll have an actual ohmmeter).

Take measurements from each "component" that your grounding kit affects, from the device to the engine block both with AND without your kit, so that we can see the difference. Maybe then I'll believe your claims that this grounding technique is superior to VAG's engineering. I still don't believe that even with 5-10 times less resistance, it would make enough difference in the measurement and communication of the components to cause a 5hp increase though, so it's still going to be tough to sell me on that.

I did aircraft wiring and avionics repair for 6 years in the Army working on $40mil UH-60M Blackhawks, so please understand why I'm skeptical, my concerns are hardly "baseless", but if that helps you sleep at night, continue to believe yourself there.

I can vouch for this considering I am a F-15E Crew Chief. I don't really see how grounding something that is technically already grounded once could make it any better. Also a Vehicle is technically not really grounded since the rubber is keeping it from a true ground. The only ground a car has is through the battery. I have heard of it reducing static in the radio if you have that problem but never making any Performance gains as far as HP goes. So if you can prove this in some magical way please do.

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
Our negative, like all other cars already have a nice large 4awg gauge grounded to the chasis of the vehicle, along with smaller grounds throughout the car..

The only reason I can see in getting additional grounds installed would be strictly for audio related purposes or to dress up the engine bay for a show car.

Anyways,

From my experience any 'felt' gains from grounding kits and/or diy 3 point grounding were placebo, or was due to a short temporary adaptation as a result of disconnecting the negative...

ksgarcia1

Ready to race!
Give the guy a break.

He's not quoting more hp here, he's simply saying that you'll have better ground connections in your engine bay. Better grounds means cleaner references for all of your voltage signals in your car. I'm an Electrical Engineer, and if I had a dollar for every time a bad ground caused a hold up in one of my projects, I'd be able to buy myself a downpipe.

Joking aside, some people may see the value in buying a presized, attractive ground kit for KDR's price. Don't be hatin. :D

Uberryan

Banned
Give the guy a break.

He's not quoting more hp here, he's simply saying that you'll have better ground connections in your engine bay. Better grounds means cleaner references for all of your voltage signals in your car. I'm an Electrical Engineer, and if I had a dollar for every time a bad ground caused a hold up in one of my projects, I'd be able to buy myself a downpipe.

Joking aside, some people may see the value in buying a presized, attractive ground kit for KDR's price. Don't be hatin. :D

Then you buy it, and post results.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm an Electrical Engineer

You of all people should understand then that these grounding kits are a bit over exaggerated as far as gains go.

Do you have automotive experience? Because if you do, you would know how much these vehicles are OVERDESIGNED to account for the grounding.

Trust me. I'll lay it on the line right here and say, if the engineers overlooked specific grounding properties of the vehicle, then it shouldnt be on the vehicle. I wish yall could see the time it takes and the testing to account for every little thing on the car. This goes way beyond "grounding"...but I'll keep it relavant.

After talking with the EEs in the Electrical Dynamic side of things, he says grounding kits are a load of shit and do nothing more than bring diminshing returns. When your car runs properly on 13.6V there wont be much difference if its running at 13.600000000000000000000000001V. He went into this long discussion about it, but bottom line, its bogus.

5whp? Are you kidding me?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Basically this kit is for those who care what their grounds look like (like the people who change their plastic engine covers and paint them...those people) OR for years down the road when you need to replace your rusted shitty ground with a new one and you feel like you may as well go aftermarket since by then VW will be charging just as much for a single ground cable as this whole kit. :p

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
1. He's not claiming it makes +5hp. He's specifically stated, several times, that they're not stating that it does anything but allow for enhanced throttle response (due to less noise, I'd assume), and similar benefits.

2. Even though it's engineered with certain grounds, there are LOTS of vehicles that benefit (their electrical systems do, which can lead to further benefits throughout the vehicle) from further power/grounding enhancements. My last "fun" vehicle was the TBSS, which after putting in e-fans, I needed not only better grounds but better power connections, too. The PWM fans I put in would turn off at 12.999999V and never turn back on until a new key-on event happened. The stock system allowed for <13.0000V to happen, once I bolstered it, that wasn't a factor anymore.

I went to school for EE, too. :D

John@KDRmotorwerks

Passed Driver's Ed
1. He's not claiming it makes +5hp. He's specifically stated, several times, that they're not stating that it does anything but allow for enhanced throttle response (due to less noise, I'd assume), and similar benefits.

2. Even though it's engineered with certain grounds, there are LOTS of vehicles that benefit (their electrical systems do, which can lead to further benefits throughout the vehicle) from further power/grounding enhancements. My last "fun" vehicle was the TBSS, which after putting in e-fans, I needed not only better grounds but better power connections, too. The PWM fans I put in would turn off at 12.999999V and never turn back on until a new key-on event happened. The stock system allowed for <13.0000V to happen, once I bolstered it, that wasn't a factor anymore.

Thanks for carefully reading my posts! I knew there was hope somewhere in this forum.

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
Ok, you show this:

but where do the groudn cables go to from there?
Can you please post more pictures?

They look nice i guess?

$49 is the sale price? whats the non sale price?

I mean its not really your fault that they seem overpriced as most kits i've seen for other cars range from $80-$100

I thought grounding kits were supposed to daisy chain back to the negative terminal?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Again, I'm an ME. I dont have much to parttake in this discussion. Thats why I consulted our Lead EE, because I WAS curious about the kit and was thinking about purchasing one. I was just relaying what he said. I apologize if it came out bad. It did seem kind of ignorant.

With THAT being said. I've have taken the jump and will get one of these kits to review. I plan to keep a very unbiased approach and take lots of pics. I'll keep to what I can objectively, but constructionwise, I might have to resort to my professional Quality opinion. At that point, its sort of take it with a grain of salt.

What would objectively help prove the gains from this mod electrically? OHM meter? Current Meter?....Again, I know a fair share of wiring and electricity but still get a little foggy. I'm more of a motion, mechanical properties, thermodynamics guy....but the logic should be easy to figure out.

Any ideas?