GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU REMAP + INTAKE down, now need help with exhaust.

callmevil

Our APR dealer here just informed me that APR just received my code extract and is doing the remapping code now.. hopefully all will be done within this week and i can get it on my R20 asap!

ive also made payments for evoms V-flow, engine cover and heat shield for the R, but those wont be here till probably next week..

cant wait...

now i need advice on which exhaust to go for.. i am planning for milteks TBE to get my car to stage2 but... i dont know how well APR will work with milteks exhaust system as i know their ecu is optimized for their own exhaust..

what should i do? should i go ahead with the milteks or should i just go for the APR? and if i do go for the milteks, would the APR stage2 remap work for them???

zeonic

mmm.... beer
the remap does not care what exhaust you are running as long as its higher flowing then stock. if money is not an issue then i would go with apr simply because i like the free flowing sound cancellation technology they use in their exhausts.

callmevil

hah! good to know arin :) yeah i finally got time to see our local dealer.. sighh cant wait~~~

hmm arin, does APR make manifolds? what are ur views with changing manifolds??

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
The Manifold is integrated into the turbo. It would be an expensive upgrade that gets you next to nothing.

mylesw42

Ready to race!
When we tune the software, we use our own exhaust system. You'll see the most ideal results using it, however I don't think you'll have many issues if you use a high flow 3 inch system other than ours.

Hi Arin, I've got APR Stage 1 at the moment, and your statement here has me wondering about what exhaust components I decide to choose on. I still haven't decided on full turboback or just a downpipe. I'm not really in to super loud exhaust.

So, my question is, what is the performance impact going to be if I go with a 3" downpipe (APR, 42DD, etc..) or a 2.5" (AWE) downpipe instead and move to Stage 2 with APR's remap? I went with a BSH race intake instead of the carbonio.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

callmevil

To get to stage2 all I need is the downpipe.. Hmm does this mean if I just install a downpipe and keep the rest of the exhaust stock, I would syllable get stage2?

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
Yes, thats what I did and I know of a few others. Downpipe gives the most power increase and catback give noise increase, but it's a nice noise!

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
If your gonna get the downpipe. might as well save that little bit more and get the full exhaust :p

you wont regret it if you do ;)

DayMan

Ready to race!
i just put EVOMS v flow on this weekend.. OMG!! such a diff.. For real i could feel the diff instat.. sounds mean and looks mean..

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
So, my question is, what is the performance impact going to be if I go with a 3" downpipe (APR, 42DD, etc..) or a 2.5" (AWE) downpipe instead and move to Stage 2 with APR's remap?

The OEM exhaust system is already a straight though system. Really the only way to get more power is by 1, making the catalytic converters more free flowing, and 2, making the exhaust piping larger. Both are accomplished only with the RSC exhaust system.

callmevil

Hah thx for the info guys. The thing here is that (lol incomes the flame inviting statement) i don't know much abt the default exhaust system for the R20 :/ hmm I was just thinking of a full stock look with my question on just the dp. but I have no idea on how restrictive my existing catback is.. sigh