GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engines

patch281

Can anyone explain why VW gives us Americans so few choices on the engine for the Golf? The mark V came only with the inline 5, and the mark VI is set to have the same crappy fuel economy inline 5 and maybe a 2.0L TDI (which I hope is the common rail 140ps TDI on Volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf). The English VW site has an array of engines to pick from. Why so limited for us? I was originally excited about the prospect of having to pick between the 170ps TSI and the 140ps TDI engines, but that seems to not be the case anymore. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

patch281

But the engines in Europe are much more efficient, so I don't see why the EPA would have a problem with it. The main reason I didn't buy a MkV when I was shopping was because of the horrible gas mileage.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Goverment polution stuff, also different specs to comply with US rules. But also costs, Until this year you have to remember $/Euro ratio the USA was paying half price for VWs made in the same factory as the europeens were. Thats before you add in shipping costs etc. Of cause not all VWs are made in Europe.

DooMMasteR1

as said
the engine mappings would have to be redone
and some engines are not as tolearant with bad fuel quality as the GTIs 2.0L and the 2.5L engine
and the stupidious rules in the US require a NOx aaccumulation kat for the TDi engines (the BlueTDI will make it to the US or already has in the Jetta and Passat)
bt the new 1.6L TDi and the 1.2 and 1.4TSIs probably never will, those engines are wonderfull, espacially if combined with the 7G DSG :)

the EU polution rules coform with all asian and australian rules, but not with the US rules (even canada is fine) thus the export do North America is not really interesting for VW

patch281

Thanks for the input Doom. It's unfortunate that we won't get those great engines. Fortunately, I'm most keenly interested in the 2.0 TDI Golf VI, and I'm pretty sure that one is making it over here.

huithomas

Ready to race!
I'm have a golf 1.4 TSI GT sport, which is same engine as Golf 6 1.4 TSI.

This model VW sold all over the world but US..... is it really because of the pollution law?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
No, there was also a short supply of that engine at first, VW just could not make enough at the factory to keep up with demand, we had supply problems of them in the UK.

huithomas

Ready to race!
No, there was also a short supply of that engine at first, VW just could not make enough at the factory to keep up with demand, we had supply problems of them in the UK.

too bad, then you guys cannot experience tire spin with this tiny 1.4 engine.