GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR TBE fitment issues?

04yllwTJ

I installed my APR TBE a couple of months ago but since I was out to sea soon after I haven't had much chance to deal with this - the passenger side tip sticks out 1/2" to 1" farther than the driver's side. I got it on a lift the other day and made some adjustments, so it's a bit better now but still irritating. It's not super noticeable, but after spending that kind of money on an exhaust I'd prefer it to be close to perfect. I'm thinking I may have to take the piece that supports the driver's side rear rubber mount and bend it to the rear a bit. Any other ideas? Anyone else have similar issues? I'm thinking it's probably just slight manufacturing differences, on the car and exhaust. It probably doesn't help that we did it in a 1 car garage with jackstands.

Here are a couple of pics to try and show what I'm talking about.

ugh... needs a wash too

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Thsi has been brought up before and ARIN told them what to do to fix it.

GeeTeeEee

Ready to race!
This is the only thing holding me back from buying the exhaust. Well this and the fact that the muffler sits below the diffuser.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
this is how mine is too. but not as noticeable but still annoying

04yllwTJ

Thsi has been brought up before and ARIN told them what to do to fix it.

Whoops. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? I skimmed through all of his posts and couldn't find anything.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Apparently this issue has something to do with using an MKV downpipe on an MKVI, because one of them bends slightly and the other is straight.

But... a turboback includes a downpipe so maybe this information has no use to you :)

GTI-VI

Ready to race!
not sure that wasnt how mine was when i installed it but thats probably because i had my apr dp cut before i got the cat

04yllwTJ

Bump.

Anyone else have any ideas? Arin?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Bump.

Anyone else have any ideas? Arin?

The Issue:

The issue pertains to the intermediate pipe being pushed to far into the connection which in turn causes a preloaded scenario. After the exhaust system goes through it's first heat cycle it will naturally twist. This will cause the one side to stick out further.

The Solution:

1. Loosen the muffler and tailpipe connections.

2. Loosen the Intermediate pipe going to the muffler inlet.

3. Check the overlapping joints. Each pipe should only be inserted 50% of the way into the pipe and not bottomed out all the way. Each expansion joint has a slit in it. Use this as a reference and only go slightly beyond.

4. Square up the muffler by twisting it from underneath the car. This part helps to have a person twisting and another person checking the appearance.

5. Once aligned, retighten the clamps to 45ft-lbs.

Thank you! Let me know how it all works out!

-Arin

Kiev

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed my APR TBE a couple of months ago but since I was out to sea soon after I haven't had much chance to deal with this - the passenger side tip sticks out 1/2" to 1" farther than the driver's side. I got it on a lift the other day and made some adjustments, so it's a bit better now but still irritating. It's not super noticeable, but after spending that kind of money on an exhaust I'd prefer it to be close to perfect. I'm thinking I may have to take the piece that supports the driver's side rear rubber mount and bend it to the rear a bit. Any other ideas? Anyone else have similar issues? I'm thinking it's probably just slight manufacturing differences, on the car and exhaust. It probably doesn't help that we did it in a 1 car garage with jackstands.

Here are a couple of pics to try and show what I'm talking about.

ugh... needs a wash too
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117840

04yllwTJ

The Issue:

The issue pertains to the intermediate pipe being pushed to far into the connection which in turn causes a preloaded scenario. After the exhaust system goes through it's first heat cycle it will naturally twist. This will cause the one side to stick out further.

The Solution:

1. Loosen the muffler and tailpipe connections.

2. Loosen the Intermediate pipe going to the muffler inlet.

3. Check the overlapping joints. Each pipe should only be inserted 50% of the way into the pipe and not bottomed out all the way. Each expansion joint has a slit in it. Use this as a reference and only go slightly beyond.

4. Square up the muffler by twisting it from underneath the car. This part helps to have a person twisting and another person checking the appearance.

5. Once aligned, retighten the clamps to 45ft-lbs.

Thank you! Let me know how it all works out!

-Arin

Thanks! I'll try that out once I get back home in a couple of weeks.

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
posted this on vwvortex but figured it'll help here as well...

Back from the dead. But I had my exhaust installed awhile back now, went in once to get the tips aligned using the previous adjustments given, (still stuck out an inch or so). Today I found this on APR's site and think it should help with alignment.. Gonna attempt the alignment again later this week and see how it goes.

http://www.goapr.com/support/mk6-rsc-adjustment.pdf

Jacris

Ready to race!
This right tip sticking out is really starting to bothering me more now. If an experienced mechanic or high quality shop follws the assy instructions and it still turns out this way, what is that telling you APR???

APR, remind your dealers to do this during the install.

The adjustment is the re-op for delivered product. This adjustment / intsruction should have been incorporated into the main assy instruction at the same time this adjustement bulletin was released so new installs going forward would be caught.

The APR guy I spoke to about this told me to go blame my shop.