GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone installed an amp with the stock speakers?

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

I have noticed that the stock MK6 setup sounds a fair bit better than the MK5 setup did.

Does amping the stock speakers make much of an improvement, there doesn't seem to be an amp in the MK6 as far as i can see.

My factory fit MDI isn't playing gapless properly and sometimes skips a song on when using the iphone. Also doesn't start playing at the first song in an album so don't know if it's worth doing much of an audio upgrade.

Cheers,

Edit: screw that, it's chalk and cheese between after market sound and stock sound.

Last edited:

SMkVGTI

Ready to race!
Edit: screw that, it's chalk and cheese between after market sound and stock sound.

Actually, the stock headunits (RCD-510 and RNS-510) can be made to perform quite nicely. The RNS-510 can be programmed, via Vagcom, to drop its pre-programmed equalization profile (ie- no "signature" EQ profile for the Golf or GTI). I am not sure about the RCD-510, but I am going to look into it. The stock headunits can generate over 4 volts of signal without distortion (better than most aftermarket units).

I am working to install a JL Audio CleanSweep via a customized T-harness to generate a true 20-20K Hz audio spectrum for an aftermarket amp, speakers, and subwoofer. The T-harness will prevent any hacking of the factory harness so it can be returned to stock in minutes.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
I am working to install a JL Audio CleanSweep via a customized T-harness to generate a true 20-20K Hz audio spectrum for an aftermarket amp, speakers, and subwoofer. The T-harness will prevent any hacking of the factory harness so it can be returned to stock in minutes.

I'm currently saving for this JL CleanSweep setup as well. Keep us posted how it comes out. I'm most likely gonna CleanSweep, StealthBox, and change out the speakers.

SMkVGTI

Ready to race!
I'm currently saving for this JL CleanSweep setup as well. Keep us posted how it comes out. I'm most likely gonna CleanSweep, StealthBox, and change out the speakers.

Save yourself some $$ without putting a hole in your rear fenderwell: order an Audio Integrations fiberglass enclosure for your GTI and put a JL Audio 10W3 subwoofer in it. The excursion difference between a 10W3 and a 10W6 is minimal. Also, that 10W3 needs less power to operate. The Audio Integrations box has a phenomenal build quality and it bolts to the inner body skin using two supplied bolts. The JL Stealthbox requires you to drill into your rear fenderwell area. Finally, the Audio Integrations enclosure volume = 0.70 cubic feet. Subtract the sub's displacement and the enclosure is the perfect 0.65 cubic feet JL Audio recommends for the 10W3.

Just a thought.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Actually, the stock headunits (RCD-510 and RNS-510) can be made to perform quite nicely. The RNS-510 can be programmed, via Vagcom, to drop its pre-programmed equalization profile (ie- no "signature" EQ profile for the Golf or GTI). I am not sure about the RCD-510, but I am going to look into it. The stock headunits can generate over 4 volts of signal without distortion (better than most aftermarket units).

I should have mentioned i had a BitOne, 3 Arc Amps, Dynaudio 362's and stealth sub with an IDQ10. Sounded awesome with the VW head unit (RNS510).

I still have most of the gear but going to keep it simple considering the MK6 speakers are in the conventional locations (which is why i think the stock MK6 sounds better than MK5 and 2-ways help as well). Sold one amp and the BitOne & the 3-way Dyns but will buy some more 2-way Dyn's when i'm closer to installing.

The Arc amps work great accepting high level in with the stock HU and will be keeping it minimal this time (2ways, 10" Sub, 1x 125.4 and 1x500.1 Arc amps). Was just toying with the idea of amping the stock speakers but no point half doing the job - both or nothing IMO.

SMkVGTI

Ready to race!
What is a JL Cleansweep? What's it used for?

The JL Audio CleanSweep removes the factory-calibrated headunit EQ curve to enable a smooth 1/3-octave response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The factory headunit has a massive rolloff at 60 Hz.

You will need to use an aftermarket amp(s) to power the system, preferably with new speakers. The four speaker-level headunit channels are used as inputs on the CleanSweep and you get four 8-volt RCA outputs. It's a great device for vehicles with non-removable headunits (cars with climate control or other controls built into/routed through the headunit) or headunits that look and function great (like ours) but just don't perform as well as they should. You also get to retain the factory steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, AUX input, etc.

Here's more information: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep.php?menu=1&prod_id=369

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
The cleansweep isn't without it's problems like most processors, and doesn't give you full tuning control like the BitOne.1. Aren't there meant to be noise issues and turn on pops? Some of the noise issues could be due to dodgy installs but hard to know.

The signal is pretty good on the OEM HU and you can always change it in VCDS as you mentioned.

I had a turn on pop with the Bitone even when it was wired up to ignition, as the HU powers up as soon as you unlock the door with the keyfob and the amps remain on when your turn the key..

P

plac

ya im waiting for someone to do a big mk6 speaker install thread. i had the audio control and arc minis in my MK5. and Hertz 3 way in front doors.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
The mk6 is pretty easy, all you need is a set of good 2-ways and an amp/s..

I've noticed the sound is much better in the MK6 due to the speakers being in the locations. 3-ways made the MK5 sound worse as well as where they were positioned with the woofer at the back in the door.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

I have noticed that the stock MK6 setup sounds a fair bit better than the MK5 setup did.

Does amping the stock speakers make much of an improvement, there doesn't seem to be an amp in the MK6 as far as i can see.

My factory fit MDI isn't playing gapless properly and sometimes skips a song on when using the iphone. Also doesn't start playing at the first song in an album so don't know if it's worth doing much of an audio upgrade.

Cheers,

The amp is only as efficient as the speakers... Factory speakers aren't designed to handle much at all. Use clean sweep, a nice amp, and nice sets of coaxials.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
The amp is only as efficient as the speakers... Factory speakers aren't designed to handle much at all. Use clean sweep, a nice amp, and nice sets of coaxials.

Cheers mate, was just an idea at the time but as you say it's good to go for all or nothing. I had some 3-way Dynaudio's which i sold, so would have to buy another pair of 2-way speakers (would probably get Dynaudio again).

Can't really get the best results half doing it as it comes down to the weakest link.

Don't think i'll get a processor though as i want to keep it simple and the ARC amps sound pretty clean with high level inputs and the speaker position is much better. The main problem is i was getting a turn on pop from the Audison BitOne..

SMkVGTI

Ready to race!
Don't think i'll get a processor though as i want to keep it simple and the ARC amps sound pretty clean with high level inputs and the speaker position is much better. The main problem is i was getting a turn on pop from the Audison BitOne..

So why not delay the startup of your amps after the BitOne has stabilized? You just need a timing circuit. I bet Navone Engineering has one.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
So why not delay the startup of your amps after the BitOne has stabilized? You just need a timing circuit. I bet Navone Engineering has one.

I tried one kind of PAC turn on delay device, didn't make any difference. Gave up in the end, was getting too complicated.

Cheers,

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I don't understand why "stereo people" don't insist on the optional Dynaudio system for a mere $500. I got it and it's quite decent - even by moderate aftermarket standards.