GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTI Compared to the 2009

MMDCT

Hello,

I am in the market for a new car and drove a 2010 GTI this evening... 2-door, 6-speed, 17-inch wheels, Tornado Red. I have some subjective comparisons to the 2009 for which I would appreciate your comment...

#1 - The 2010 seems quieter and more refined than the 2009. Engine noise seems somewhat muted and less visceral.

#2 - Around town at low speed the steering seems lighter, with less feedback from the road.

#3 - What happened to the side molding? The doors scream "ding me!" Anyone have experience with side molding installed by the dealer?

#4 - The touch screen radio is nice and sounds decent with my iPhone 3G S. Anyone get the radio to take calls AND play audio via Bluetooth? Is this possible? Is the Dynaudio option worth the extra $476?

Overall, the 2010 seems less visceral and raw compared to the 2009. The body work is sweet but the car appeals less to my senses than the 09. Does anyone think a clean crop of 09s will come back as trades for 10s?

Comments please.

Regards,

MMD from CT

Hello,

I am in the market for a new car and drove a 2010 GTI this evening... 2-door, 6-speed, 17-inch wheels, Tornado Red. I have some subjective comparisons to the 2009 for which I would appreciate your comment...

#1 - The 2010 seems quieter and more refined than the 2009. Engine noise seems somewhat muted and less visceral.

#2 - Around town at low speed the steering seems lighter, with less feedback from the road.

#3 - What happened to the side molding? The doors scream "ding me!" Anyone have experience with side molding installed by the dealer?

#4 - The touch screen radio is nice and sounds decent with my iPhone 3G S. Anyone get the radio to take calls AND play audio via Bluetooth? Is this possible? Is the Dynaudio option worth the extra $476?

Overall, the 2010 seems less visceral and raw compared to the 2009. The body work is sweet but the car appeals less to my senses than the 09. Does anyone think a clean crop of 09s will come back as trades for 10s?

Comments please.

Regards,

MMD from CT

A2DP is supposed to be supported so don't see any reason why you can't stream audio via bluetooth. My question would be why? Guzzles battery life from the phone and sounds like crap in my experience. Hardwired connection via MDI (included in the GTI) should sound infinitely superior in terms of sound quality plus you can control via touchscreen or MFSW.

Dynaudio option in the Passat CC is kickass and well worth the $1,000 asking price IMHO. Factory setup, no installation required and Dynaudio has an excellent ( and well deserved ) reputation in the audiophile community. Take the sub away and only charge $476? Sounds like a no-brainer to me. My car on the way has it and I'll certainly report back my experiences with it along with answers to #1 & #2. The MK 6 is promoted as being better insulated and quieter than the MK 5 so your impressions correlate with initial media reviews.

Door dings? Unfortunate part of life I'm afraid. I miss the days of big black rubber door guards myself. But aerodynamics & public opinion seems to have killed them. C'est la vie........ :(

Anyway - I've got a 2 door manual GTI en route. HID's, Dynaudio, sunroof & navigation. I am doing a poor job of waiting for it but she should be here soon.

Last edited:

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
i havent looked into the GTI too much, but is there a difference in remapping ECU's? (mk5 to mk6)

mkaresh

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting this. Not the direction I was hoping they'd take the car in, but definitely the one I was expecting. It's so hard to find a car with great steering these days.

Fredro

Thanks for posting this. Not the direction I was hoping they'd take the car in, but definitely the one I was expecting. It's so hard to find a car with great steering these days.
The BMW 128i is not to far out of reach from the GTI and offers better road feel.

mkaresh

Ready to race!
BMW offers a five-door 1-Series where you are. No such luck over here.

I keep asking for a 3,000-pound RWD five-door. I think this is a big unserved hole in the US, even worldwide, but no manufacturer has been rushing to fill it.

Blaze182

Ready to race!
I cant speak for the MK VI cause I've never been with one in RL.

As to Dynaudio, for my pirelli I was abit dissapointed as the option wasnt offered. I spoke with the dealer and he told me specifically 'everyone here has tested the dynaudio against the stock and nobody can tell the difference. The only time you really need the dynaudio is if your an audiophile who likes changing the settings.'

Thats 95% word for word of what he said - I believe him, my stock pirelli speakers are amazing.

Might be different for a passat due to the different cabin space, but for the golf just crank the system when your in there and see if its up to standard!! I doubt it wont be =]

darknightohio1

Ready to race!
I take it you test drove this guy:

jamesjjj

wow, after reading this, I am really dissapointed.
I am debating with myself whether I should get the 2010 mazda 3 or the MkVI GTI at december. I've test driven the MS3 and its better than ever (surprisingly the handling is even comparable to the AWD of WRX). I will check out the GTI probably this weekend but now I don't want to get my hopes up. Sigh.......

Whafrodamus1

Ready to race!
wow, after reading this, I am really dissapointed.
I am debating with myself whether I should get the 2010 mazda 3 or the MkVI GTI at december. I've test driven the MS3 and its better than ever (surprisingly the handling is even comparable to the AWD of WRX). I will check out the GTI probably this weekend but now I don't want to get my hopes up. Sigh.......

Wtf are you talking about? The interior of the GTI makes that of the MS3, WRX, and your silly Scion look like a joke. What in this thread has been said that makes the new GTI disappointing? (one s, two p's) Are you going to miss the door moldings or something? Sigh... It's the ones with not a lot going on between the ears that base their opinions of cars on threads in a forum. Have fun with your xA, kid.

Krupnation

Passed Driver's Ed
Ditto. Don't pass judgement on something you've read in a forum. Go test drive the car and if it's not what you like then that's your opinion and you can go buy a Mazda 3 (which by the way the new model is butt ugly - in my opinion!). I'm just trying to say, don't knock it until you try it!

Giblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the rice eating brigade are still some way behind the Hun when it comes to nailing cars together. I think America's love affair with cars that just don't break down is to blame. Especially when home made products have been so lacklustre over the years.

Scharf1

That Mazda3 probably doesn't rattle like a motherfucker or have as many electrical gremlins that the MkVI most likely will.