GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK6 Interrogation!

Presto

Passed Driver's Ed
When I was helping my best friend pick out a new car I fell in love the the MK6 GTI and now considering getting one. The thing is, I like the car i have right now a lot so i would only get a GTI if it had the features I like about my car and made up for the things I don't like about my car.

So far I think the GTI has everything I like about my car, but I really want to know some facts about it that you can only get from real GTI drivers.

(some of these could be answered by just going to take a test drive but I want an honest opinion even before I do that)

1. How does the clutch feel? I drove a 2010 jetta over the summer and the clutch would be easy to live with but it didn't have a sporty feel, I also drove a late model Audi A4 (I worked in a body shop) the clutch in it felt more aggressive and sporty like a quick car's should.

2.Is the stock sound system good? When/If I get a GTI i want to be able to spend my money on mods that improve looks and power (obviously not at the same time) So will I be able to live with the stock sound system or should I get a GTI with the Dynaudio system?

3. What are some common problems that I will have to look out for if I get a GTI?

4. What is one complaint you have about the GTI?

5. If I get a GTI and tune it (probably APR, but still researching) is my car going to be more likely to break down?

6. How much less room is there in the back seat of a 3 door compared to the 5 doors?

7. Know any good roads to really have some fun with a GTI around the Kansas City metro area? haha

thanks for your help if you decide to respond to this and because I know every one loves pictures here is a pic of my current ride.

(don't bash me to much for driving a Honda!)

phans784

Ready to race!
1. How does the clutch feel? I drove a 2010 jetta over the summer and the clutch would be easy to live with but it didn't have a sporty feel, I also drove a late model Audi A4 (I worked in a body shop) the clutch in it felt more aggressive and sporty like a quick car's should.

dont know, have dsg

2.Is the stock sound system good? When/If I get a GTI i want to be able to spend my money on mods that improve looks and power (obviously not at the same time) So will I be able to live with the stock sound system or should I get a GTI with the Dynaudio system?

Its all relative to what you think is good. I came from an xterra with a rockford fosgate system with the stock sub underneath the drivers seat. So for me the system in the gti was a downgrade, but i think it is still a good audio setup (i have non dynaudio)

3. What are some common problems that I will have to look out for if I get a GTI?

Wind noise from weatherstripping along with slight leaking in wet weather. maybe some misc rattles. leaky rear window sprayer. all of those should be taken care by the dealer (well the rear sprayer is debatable)

lack of storage containers/bins/compartments ect in the cabin

5. If I get a GTI and tune it (probably APR, but still researching) is my car going to be more likely to break down?

cant comment, not tuned

6. How much less room is there in the back seat of a 3 door compared to the 5 doors?

not sure but i have heard they are about the same, perhaps a little more in the 3 door?

7. Know any good roads to really have some fun with a GTI around the Kansas City metro area? haha

nay

hope this helps some

**also think the gti will be a huge step up from accord. not hating, use to drive a honda myself

munkey

Ready to race!
I don't think you will regret it.

Clutch feel is pretty light on the GTI. Not as "sporty" as I would prefer, personally, bc I like a little heaviness in the clutch. However, anyone that has driven this car has commented on how incredibly easy it is to drive (especially compared to my last car, 2000 mustang).

My biggest complaint is also lack of storage space inside the car, but I kind of got used to it. I just wish it had an armrest bin and then I would be set.

3 and 5 door models are exactly the same size, so back seat should be close to the same. Its pretty damn roomy in a 3 door, with a slightly bigger cargo space (~1 cu ft larger I believe)

Rickfactor

Passed Driver's Ed
I also drove a Civic for many years and it was the best car I have ever owned. However, I dont like the new civics because of the huge dash, lack of a decent sized hatchback, nothing with guts and an automatic too. If they still made something comparible to the GTI, I would probably have bought that instead due to my good experiences with their vehicles.

1. How does the clutch feel?
Dont know. I have the DSG version.

2.Is the stock sound system good?
It sounds good to me but if you are an audiophile, you may want to get the stock and add aftermarket components yourself rather as you need them rather than taking what VW considers to be premium.

Rear window washer leaks, water retention in door wells during heavy rain, throttle lag, and maybe some intermittant electrical gremlins. Also apathetic salesmen and/or dishonest/incompetant service people.

They are expensive and appear to have some small issues that VW cant seem to sort out for a car in this price range.

Im not going to mess with mine. Its fast enough as it is.

I have the 5 dr and it seems just fine for head and leg room. Im 5'10

Last edited:

Bender1

Banned
Clutch feel is similar to an Audi. Its sporty but compliant in stop and go.

I am not an audiophile but i really enjoy the stock sound system.

Rear washer drip.

See above - its the only issue i have had in the whole process. Love the car, love my dealer.

Yes/No. Tuning it will not make it more likely to break down. Not at all. You driving it harder MIGHT make it more likely!

Identical

hmmm

I have a 6 speed std: I love it, but clutch is not muscle car firm. So you won't like it, but if you're like me, you'll get used to it.

one complaint? hmmm... no self-dimming mirror/ auto a/c, and the throttle lag from time to time...and well... shit... nothing much else.

APR? still reliable from what I hear.

Get the Dynaudio. I love it! At least you can tell your friends you have it. He He!

3 door GTI rear room is massive for such a small car.

Problems: you've heard em all. My biggest: I can't drive this thing slowly.

Randum

Go Kart Champion

I drive a DSG, I would reccomend taking a look at this option if you are looking for the speed/sport feel.

Personally, the stock system is quite impressive, windows down, its audible, and it does have enough kick you can enjoy anything with heavy bass. Also stock offers the USB/iPod dock, SD card and aux in options. I consider myself a music guy and the setup is nice. Ask the dealer to hear both. Dynaudio would offer more "kick" of course, but I dont know if the improvement is better or if you should spend the $$ on an aftermarket setup, if you are into audio.

As far as I can get from the dealers, no real large issues, we all seem to experience a small wiper leak, which I had fixed for free, and some B Pillar noise...but thats debatable. So far rock solid, but I must say, your likelihood of a speeding ticket is increased!! very hard to stay at low speeds!

Of the cars I have owned/driven, this is by far my favorite, and I have absolutely no complaints as of late. (10k miles so far).

Again, from the research I gather, NO, however, driving hard will obviously decrease your car life. If you do go this route, be sure to do the regular maintance more so than an "average driver" because its important to nip any potential problems. The components are stressed when modded, but no where near their threshhold (again, from the reading, tuning companies etc) If you think about it this way, if tuning/mods used by the big after market companies caused cars to breakdown...they wouldn't be in business very long! These cars are made with components able to withstand the modifications being done.
Should be exactly the same. Every passenger I toss in the back always says "wow, a lot more room than I thought". Having a hatchback gives you some extra headroom!

I'm in Chicago, so I'm not sure

NOW GO GET YOUR GTI!!!! You will not regret it!! Unpimp your auto!

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
sorry to say but an Accord is like driving a toaster. Bland and boring. If you don't think it is then you've never lived and driven a sports car. There's nothing to think about.
Put it this way, if you can rent it at your local Hertz or Enterprise then it's not worth getting unless your just looking for basic transportation. Last I checked, you can't rent a GTI but you sure as heck can get a Camry, Accord or Taurus. To sum it up, get the GTI and drive in something with character.

sukanas1

Ready to race!
my brother has an accord v6 manual too (i believe 06 or 07). while i freakin love my gti, the accord isnt a bad car either. if anything, you have the reliability of a honda. sure you wont have the bragging rights of being an egotistical european car owner, but at least you have a reliable car. plus, i know the interior isn't bad either (if you had a mazda 3.. whole different story).

I'd say, you have a nice car now, why spend extra money on a new car that isn't too necessary. Of course if you just happen to make millions, then why not. But from a reasonable stand point of view, sure you won't get the excitement of getting a new car, but who says you have to have it NOW? why not wait, if anything, your options can only get better.

edit: when my brother drove my gti, he sincerely appreciated the car's handling/speed, but he wasnt BLOWN away. again, he has a v6.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
sorry to say but an Accord is like driving a toaster. Bland and boring. If you don't think it is then you've never lived and driven a sports car. There's nothing to think about.
Put it this way, if you can rent it at your local Hertz or Enterprise then it's not worth getting unless your just looking for basic transportation. Last I checked, you can't rent a GTI but you sure as heck can get a Camry, Accord or Taurus. To sum it up, get the GTI and drive in something with character.

I have to agree here. A GTI is a different class if you jump from the accord. If you really enjoy driving, then do it. I feel like I am the person who if asked "would you like the sport tuned version or the standard version?" I always go sport tuned, even if I have to wait.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I love the look of those accords but the gti is in a different league.

I had a then new 2006 Accord V6/6 speed coupe.

The thing handled like an old Buick with worn out shocks.

Horrible...

The brake modulation was terrible...

Handling still sucked after I had Tein shocks/springs installed...

That being said, the car was slightly quicker than the GTI and various road tests (e.g. CAR AND DRIVER) proved that.

They got their test car through the 1/4 mile at 14.5 @ 98 MPH and that was before the minor engine tweaks that my model year received.

The GTI has more guts in the mid range, but up top the Accord's V6 pulled a little harder.

So from an acceleration point of view, a well driven, 6 speed manual V6 Accord is going to give you some trouble.

And the newest model ('08 and up) is faster still. This one was bumping the century make through the traps:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...on/3/file/RT_2008-Honda-Accord-Coupe_data.pdf