GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI - Manual OR DSG??

Adem

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

I am looking at getting the GTI when it gets released in Australia. I dont know whether to get manual or the DSG? DSG is quicker.. but is the dsg limited in terms of perfomance upgrades? Is there a limit on torque?

zee

Go Kart Champion
Have you driven both yet?You already know about the manual, so I'll take a little abou tthe DSG.
Most people whine and preach to get a manual because they feel the DSG takes away from being connected to the car and road...as well as potential expensive cost of the parts when out of warrantly. The mechatronic(brain) unit cost about USD$2200.00/AUD$2900 and takes a whole day to replace. The DSG maintainance is not really a big deal though.

The DSG get marginally better economy, is a little faster and can handle as much power as the manual up to 400hp/400tq...but it is still more or less an automatic transmission, abeit a very good one especially when in manual S-mode. I ordered the DSG for mine

SilverDSG

This is the first "auto" I have owned. Still getting used to not having a third pedal. After a week of driving approx 400 miles in it I have reached the following verdict.

When cruising around town or to and from work its a joy. Motorways are effortless. I dont feel the same thrill in tight corners though nor the feeling of a well timed shift. However when the box is in S mode, either full auto or in semi, it puts a real smile on my face during the sprint.

So over all its eaiser to drive and just as fun but in a different way. I doubt I'll go back to a manual now.

jjh

Before my current car (A3 170 DSG) I had a A3 140 manual. The DSG takes some getting used to; I dont find it involving enough so have opted for manual on my GTD.
If you spent alot of time in taffic or in town the DGS is worth a try, I love it but.............not that much.
Apparently the new manual on the GTD is mega. After I have spent a couple of years in the GTD manual I will be sure which I prefer.....
A friend has a petrol GTI DSG and its jerky, raw and not anywhere near a smooth as in the desiel in my opinion...

Adem

Passed Driver's Ed
omg! i am having the same conundrum myself! check out the following post:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100681

Thanks for that! I guess more people go for DSG... Im just worried about these issues :|

After having soo many issues with my MK4, the last thing I want is to pay al that money and have the car at the workshop! hehe

I have never owned a manual, but at the same time i drive in traffic most of the time..

In all honesty i am leaning towards the DSG..

Giblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like DSG is best for you.

I am lucky enough to be surrounded by good driving roads, so I plumped for the manual.

The minor performance and mpg gains or losses are totally irrelevant. Just go for what you'll be comfortable with.

Adem

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like DSG is best for you.

I am lucky enough to be surrounded by good driving roads, so I plumped for the manual.

The minor performance and mpg gains or losses are totally irrelevant. Just go for what you'll be comfortable with.

Yes its looking that way. Thanks for the advice! BTW is yours carbon steel grey with the 18 inch? Looks fantastic! Thats what i was thinking of getting..

zee

Go Kart Champion
Do 400 miles a week in London traffic and you'll agree with me lol!

I do less than that in Toronto traffic and ordered the DSG too;). I'm just a little worried that I will loose a little edge on driving a manual transmission after a 4-5 years with the DSG.
:burnrubber:

waffleman

Ready to race!
Congrats on your new car order.

I think the main drawback of a MT would be frequent shifting if driving in a city/bumber to bumper traffic. I drive in suburbia and do not have those issues, so a MT was a gimme for me.

I got a manual GTI about 3 weeks ago with MT, nearly have 1000 miles on it. I have no regrets at all. This car is a blast to drive. With conservative driving I easily average 33-35 MPG, of course it drops if I push it. There's nothing like the feel of blasting off at a red light, leaving the poor schmuck next to me who wanted to beat me in the dust, while working through the gears manually. Just AWESOME.:thumbup:

cbope

I got the DSG7 in my Mk6 together with the 118kW TSI. Great combo. I do not do much city driving, but it is much nicer to have when I do need to drive in the city. I've always been a manual guy, but I really like the DSG. The shifts are quick and smooth and much faster than a human can do it. In D mode it shifts very early in the rev range so it takes some getting used to. Not in a bad way, it just feels different that a small engine upshifts at 1500 rpm under light loads. The sport mode is nice and really raises the shift points. It puts the engine in a rev range where you always have a lot or power and torque available, just press the gas and go. You can use tiptronic manual mode when you want full control over shifts. The only small complaint I have is that I wish upshifting in tiptronic mode was pulling the stick back instead of forwards. I also like that hte computer does not let you shift when it would over-rev the engine and if you put it to tiptronic mode and floor it in 1st, it will automatically upshift just before the engine redline.

So far I have not had any problems with my DSG, though a guy at work has had some issues (his is last year's DSG6). I've got about 13k km so far.