GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Stock-GTI
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Mismatch Front and Rear Tires

So I need new front tires. I plan on going with Continental ExtremeContact Sport w/ stock specs, so 225/40ZR18. Currently I have Continental ControlContact Sport A/S, which were on the car when I got it 30k mi ago. My rears still have a ton of life left 8/32 and 10/32. If I were to change only the fronts, what are the downsides? (The two tires are identical in load index, size, and speed rating)
Is anyone running mismatched fronts and rears? I realize this isn't advisable, but just looking for peoples experiences or opinions.

Current Tire: http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...2540zr18-92y/?

New Tire: http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...2540zr18-92y/?

I don't mind getting a full set and more than likely will, just wondering if it's truly necessary on a fwd platform. Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Mk6Sam
Ready to race!

Drives: '11 GTI 6MT Autobahn
If they are on the front and all tires are the same spec you shouldn't notice a difference right now, 8/32 is plenty safe. The problems might arise when you have to rotate them and you now have the old tires up front, in which case you may buy two more newer ones?

I personally like to replace all 4, initial cost is more but you have the peace of mind and 4 fresh tires.

You may have grip issues later on as the rears start to wear more. Basically for the time being you should be good but may run into issues later in the future when rotating.
Mk6Sam is offline   Reply With Quote