GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going stage 1...

taylor21

Ready to race!
How many miles should you have on the car before going stage 1? I'm assuming at least after the break in period (600ish miles)

any think i need to know?

Q822

Ready to race!
For me...I will have the car on monday...I will wait all the winter..It's a good way to do a good break period...If not...after the first oil change

super steve

Ready to race!
You seem to be the man to address this to (makes you wish you hadn't put @APR in your name, doesn't it?): Any chance you could compose an idiot's introduction to this stuff? Stage I, II, and III? Performance benefits? What you do after purchase (DIY? Professional install required?) Warranty ramifications?

Like a lot of people, I am always intrigued by the idea of having a little something extra under the hood. I just have never shaken the idea it's reserved for extreme gearheads with craploads of disposable cash who don't mind burning out their engine in a year or two (I'm not quite in my dad's mindset, but he still thinks any small motor putting out more than 200 hp is just going to eat itself... He's an old school Corvette guy, so forgive him :)).

A little more to the direct topic at hand: I get that "chipping" is a term that's used, but is it a literal term? Does the Stage 1 stuff involve a new chip? flashing some ROM? loading software?

I have no idea if this section of the forums is for me, but I'd like to be informed before making a decision either way. :)

Chipping means you are changing the firmware of the ECU. No physical parts/chips are used.

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
i don't know if this is considered too far off topic and 'illegal' to post, but at what point do you need to start do all kinds of internal engine work with the different stages?? i kinda figure you can't do a whole lot to the stock engine w/o doing some major ware and tear to the motor. i think this is what 'mongo' was trying to get at. i'm kinda clueless to all this stuff as well. also, what constitutes stage I, II, III?

Last edited:

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
...and increasing the horsepower from 200 (stock) to about +/-250hp.
and more importantly IMHO the torque up to almost 300ft/lbs! :thumbup:

i don't know if this is considered too far off topic and 'illegal' to post, but at what point do you need to start do all kinds of internal engine work with the different stages?? i kinda figure you can't do a whole lot to the stock engine w/o doing some major ware and tear to the motor. i think this is what 'mongo' was trying to get at. i'm kinda clueless to all this stuff as well. also, what constitutes stage I, II, III?
there's lots of good info on APR's site, start at the link he posted:

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html

stage I is just the reporgram, nothing more...

any estimates on the next sales event, chris@APR? :cool:

Purie

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but what kind of boost do most of the chips hit and does it change a/f ratios and timing? and is their still boost tapering towards redline. I only ask because with my old evo 8 I did a Manual boost controller and a air/fuel controller and it worked perfect (well except for the fuel pump not keeping up :p). I had my A3 chipped and it made the car soooo much better, should come that way imo.

Thanks

Jesus Chrysler

Chris@APR, you mentioned that APR Stage 1 software is to be released in time for christmas. Does this mean there will be changes made to the ECU upgrade for the US spec 2010 2.0 TSI? Or does the 2008+ VW GTI MKV ECU upgrade work for the 2010 VW GTI MKVI?

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
Same question as Jesus Chrysler (Love the name BTW lmao), and also, if we preorder the software, can we get that sweet deal that you have posted up in the classifieds?