GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fans Running

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

So this happened to me a couple of times now, i just want to see if I'm the only one and should take the car in to get checked out or not.

Driving home from work i notice the car running louder than usual, at a few of the lights i dropped my windows and could hear the fans running, both of them. The A/C in the car is NOT on and its not a particularly hot day. 67 degrees maybe.

The fans continue to run, once i get home and park the car in the garage and shut it off, the fans spin up again and run full force for 3/5min before finally shutting down. This is the second time something like this has happened to me, should i be concerned or is this par for the course - turbo engines run hot and whatnot?

Any thoughts, constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#madRussian

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
this is normal for all GTI's. theres nothing to worry about, same thing says for owners manual

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought so too, but the only thing that kind of took me aback was that the fans were running while i was driving too, don't they usually shut off? or was it because it was lights/stop-go that they just stayed on?

bernardryan

Ready to race!
What were your oil temps when both the fans were running?

Mine sometimes keeps on going when i drive hard, maybe around 110-119 Celcius, but it cools down relatively quickly to 103-105 when i park the car, and the fan keeps on going for maybe 5mins.

With normal driving, i get maybe 95-100 C and that rarely keeps my fans on when i park the car.

My ambient temps usually are about 30-38 C.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Have you modded anything recently? Such as an ECU flash?

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
oil temp gauge stays dead center. the odd thing is after i got home and the car was in the garage for a few hours, when I went back out it spun the fans again right away. and there is no way the car was that hot for that long. I'm going to run by the dealership tomorrow have them check whats up. I have't done anything to the car except install amp/sub to the existing system but other than that its stock.

Towards the middle fall of last year i had a similar issue with fans always running and the dealer found that a wire had been nicked, either by someone or by the fans and that was giving the computer a bad reading (engine temp at -240), which kept the fans from shutting off, I'll look at the repair they made, maybe the splice had come undone/been nicked again.

Thanks,

#madRussian