GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
trbebo

Drives: 2010 GTI
Upgraded Piston Diverter Valve

I am thinking about chipping my 2010 GTI and was told that I should add the "Forge Atmospheric Blow Off Valve" so that I do not blow the gasket on the diverter valve. Can I just upgrade to the "Upgraded Piston Diverter Valve, Electronic", or should I do both?

Thanks in advance.
trbebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
michal
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2-door coupe
If you go with stage 1, you should be fine just with a stock DV. If you are planning to mod your car more in the future (intake, downpipe, etc) you can change it if you want or just wait and switched it to the piston one if needed. A lot of ppl on this forum have the stock DV when running stage 2 with no problems.
michal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
michal
Formula 2 Driver

And I don't think that you have to add the "Forge Atmospheric Blow Off Valve" to run everything safely.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Hilfloskind
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 4d/6s
The forge atmospheric blow off valve is required for vtec kick in
Grambles' Unicorn Gym Theory
My Build Thread
Hilfloskind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Arin@APR

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
The latest revision of OEM valve is about $40-$60 and works flawlessly. You may already have it in your car. If not, the older revision had an extremely low failure rate, even on high boosting stage 3 cars.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
kimsballs
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI Manual United Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilfloskind View Post
The forge atmospheric blow off valve is required for vtec kick in
^This
kimsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
omes4life
Rally Car Newbie

Send a message via AIM to omes4life
Just get the OEM D piston diverter valve if ur car already doesnt have one and you will be fine.
The forge atmospheric blow off valve is required for vtec to kick in
omes4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
trbebo

Thanks for the info, the guys at the dealer told me that I needed to add the Blow Off Valve or I would blow the diverter gasket.
trbebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Arin@APR

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
on a 2006, yeah, you'll need an upgrade. On a 2010, you're fine.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
michal
Formula 2 Driver

My car was built in 5/2010 and I think that a 2011 VW GTI production started 6/2010 and it had the "G" DV. So probably your car doesn't have the upgraded "D" version. I bought mine from http://www.dbcperformance.com/06H145...06h145710d.htm
Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Sean@forge
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Our blow-off valve adapter/spacer is purely used to create the blow-off valve sound.

It does not positively nor negatively impact the performance nor reliability of any version of the OEM valves in any way. The manner in which boost pressure will act on the valve will remain exactly the same.

If you're vehicle is currently equipped with one of the diaphragm based valves, the likelihood of it eventually failing is the same regardless of whether or not you install our spacer with it.

If you have or decide to upgrade to the latest "D" revision piston-based OEM valve, it will be significantly more reliable than the older diaphragm versions, also regardless of whether or not our spacer is used with it.
Sean@forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
rgs
Oval Champion

Drives: '11 GTI, '12 Scion iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge View Post
Our blow-off valve adapter/spacer is purely used to create the blow-off valve sound.

It does not positively nor negatively impact the performance nor reliability of any version of the OEM valves in any way. The manner in which boost pressure will act on the valve will remain exactly the same.

If you're vehicle is currently equipped with one of the diaphragm based valves, the likelihood of it eventually failing is the same regardless of whether or not you install our spacer with it.

If you have or decide to upgrade to the latest "D" revision piston-based OEM valve, it will be significantly more reliable than the older diaphragm versions, also regardless of whether or not our spacer is used with it.
I installed a Forge BOV on a 1.8T believing that i needed it. Turns out, just as mentioned above, it is for sound only. The sound was not for me. I had no problem selling it as there are a lot of folks out there that like that noise. If you are into that noise, the Forge piece was well crafted and built like a tank.

The stock DV lasted on that car for the 4 years I owned it.
2011 GTI Carbon Steel Gray, DSG, Autobahn Package, APR Stage III, APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Intercooler, Carbonio Cold Air Intake, Ceramic Tint 30% Sides and 15% Back, Clear Bra, Aluminum Tone Glove Box Handle, Bluetooth Mounting Bracket and Cover, Golf R LED Tail Lights, Color Matched Corners, ECS Hatch Strut Kit, OEM Clear Aspherical Mirrors.
rgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2015 Golf TDI SEL
The OEM Revision D Piston Diverter Valve is all you will ever need. It's in the $80 range and takes less than 5 minutes to install. I put one on when I went to stage 2 just for the piece of mind.

JP
jp0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
DREKO
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White GTI
I also installed the Forge DV spacer, and it is a quality peice! But the sound was a little high pitched for me. I took it off and drilled out the center holes to about twice the size. It sounds more like a psshhtt, instead of a pssst now. I like the sound alot more, no more bus brakes sound!
DREKO is offline   Reply With Quote