GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

02M 6-Speed Short Shift and Bushing Options for MKIV, MKV, and MKVI including Golf R

Which Short Shift assembly do you currently have?

• Total voters

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Isn't our transmission an O2Q? The O2M was the 6 speed used in the 337 and 20th mk4's and I think some VR6 mk4's.

Either way, I have kind of a frankenstein shifter setup and LOVE it. It's very short and works great. I have the Neuspeed weight (front to back), forge side to side linkage, 42DD linkage bushings and FFE bracket bushings.

They still use a lot of the same parts/cable shifter design with some minor differences. Which is why the bracket bushings are interchangeable and 42dd has similar linkage bushings for those models.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
They still use a lot of the same parts/cable shifter design with some minor differences. Which is why the bracket bushings are interchangeable and 42dd has similar linkage bushings for those models.

Agreed, but since this is such a comprehensive list with lots of great information I think the title of the thread and nomenclature referring to the transmission should be accurate.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed, but since this is such a comprehensive list with lots of great information I think the title of the thread and nomenclature referring to the transmission should be accurate.

Yeah, kinda dropped the ball on the name i guess.. Can't change a thread title unless a Mod wants to update it?

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
Thanks for putting this together. I am also going to go search some vids on it now - I was planning on just doing the bushings to reduce shift "notchiness" and "hesitation" but tripped across all of these short shifters.

Timothy Bryce

Ready to race!
Hi folks,

Having recently done a few shifter upgrades I thought I'd share some experience here as it may be very useful for those looking to upgrade. I came across one compatibility issue which I shall try to explain.
As is the case with all mk6 GTIs (I believe) I had the plastic S2S (Side to side) lever.
Typically my shifting was sloppy as hell! FYI, the first improvement to this was made from replacing the dog-bone mount and engine and gearbox mounts. This instantly tightened things up a bit.
I then fitted the APR solid shift cable bracket and genuine Audi S3 short shifter. Things got better still and now with a slightly shorter throw.
This is where things started getting tricky; I thought as I'd gone this far I would replace the plastic S2S lever and all the associated parts for the metal version.
As it turns out, the metal S2S (Genuine) actually reduces the side to side throw slightly over the plastic version. What this means is that when fitted, the cable end link becomes 'too close' to the counterweight of the shifter. (This would be true even if you still had the standard shifter in as the casting is virtually identical). What happens now is the cable jams against the counterweight and you can't get 6th gear!!
So this is easily rectified but cutting or grinding away some of the counterweight.
For anyone planning this, the metal is pretty hard so I would recommend you find someone with a machine shop to modify the shifter for you.
Once all done, even the firmness of the metal S2S and new bushes really tighten up the shifter further and makes it all feel very 'new'.
I personally only fitted solid end link bushings in the S2S cable and left the front to back stock but that can be your decision based on how you want the shifting to feel.
Here are some comparison pics to demonstrate the compatibility issue with the metal S2S relay and standard shifter:

Attachments

• Plastic S2S.jpg
    Plastic S2S.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • Metal S2S Conflict.jpg
    Metal S2S Conflict.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • Ground Flat.jpg
    Ground Flat.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 77
  • ground side.jpg
    ground side.jpg