GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Jaytk

Passed Driver's Ed
I just picked up a used GTI... I traded in a MK5 Rabbit. (Rabbits timing chain was making tons of noise!) The GTI I picked up is a 2013 with a 07-2012 build date, Think I have the updated tensioner?
They got through four iterations already. Pretty sure they was an update between the summer of 14, and the summer of 15.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up a used GTI... I traded in a MK5 Rabbit. (Rabbits timing chain was making tons of noise!) The GTI I picked up is a 2013 with a 07-2012 build date, Think I have the updated tensioner?

Yea, you're good.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for sharing that information! :)

Yea, no problem. Thought I'd share especially since the Tiguan and Golf/GTI were made in the same Wolfsburg Factory at the time.

corydd

Go Kart Champion
What's the average quote ya'll are getting from the dealership to replace the timing chain tensioner? I got quoted $700~ from a tech and that seems like it's on the way low side?

Is that just labor or parts as well?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie

revolver11

Ok, so i am late to this thread... Just got back from dealer that replaced tensioner, camshaft, and related parts due to failure.. they also replaced the AK vac pump.. is the pump related?

13' gti with no mods.. just turned over 70k with extended full warranty.. entire repair covered..

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so i am late to this thread... Just got back from dealer that replaced tensioner, camshaft, and related parts due to failure.. they also replaced the AK vac pump.. is the pump related?

13' gti with no mods.. just turned over 70k with extended full warranty.. entire repair covered..

What exactly happened? Did the failure happen on start-up?...'13 should have the updated tensioner. My understanding is that the vac pump runs off the camshaft but I haven't heard of someone needing a vac pump replacement or even the camshaft replace once the tensioner fails. With that being said, if your vac pump catastrophically failed (rather than the tensioner), it could have caused the damage to the camshaft and tensioner etc.

revolver11

vehicle cut off at about 30 mph and check engine light came on.. did it to me three more times so i took it in.. dealer stated there was a memo to replace the cam if that failure occurred.. no real explanation they only said it was the chain or the tensioner..
the bill to insurance was 2900.00... whew..

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
vehicle cut off at about 30 mph and check engine light came on.. did it to me three more times so i took it in.. dealer stated there was a memo to replace the cam if that failure occurred.. no real explanation they only said it was the chain or the tensioner..
the bill to insurance was 2900.00... whew..

Wow that bill is massive, you lucked out. From what it sounds like, it wasn't a tensioner failure. A tensioner would start to cause a chain rattle on startup right before they fail and they fail on start up when the stress is the greatest.

Either way you lucked out with having an awesome warranty.

bryngutierrez46

Ready to race!
Mine is 04/11 I should change the tensioner right ? And looking at that they go out by 70k I need to get mine done asap rather pay this than get a whole new motor