GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm done with ECS

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
yes thats on the info key but the statment read before that reads "If bought now, ships same day." The should just put the info key words of "this product is in stock and should ship today" as the main text and not saying it will.

I agree with you, but it's not grounds, imo, for a lawsuit.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The website just provides an estimate. Most of the time it's correct or very close but you should always refer to the date posted in the confirmation e-mail.

It also depends on which shipping option you choose. If you choose economy it's a 5-7 day shipping option. Ground is normally 1-4 business days.

We also have expedited options which cost more but if you need something in a hurry are the best ways to guarantee delivery in a short time period.

I don't know why it never occurred to me before. You guys have been pulling this fuckery with the free shipping option to try to push people into paying extra for expedited. That's pretty slimy.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I don't know why it never occurred to me before. You guys have been pulling this fuckery with the free shipping option to try to push people into paying extra for expedited. That's pretty slimy.

They do that to give you the option to have it faster. Not sure why giving people more options is slimy? You can still choose free shipping which for me has never taken more then 4-5 days.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Free shipping used to take 2 days from placing the order to arriving at my door. Now it takes a week or more, and their answer is "you could always pay for quicker shipping."

For in-stock, 'ships today' items, they're letting the free shipping packages sit on the loading dock for a few days instead of sending them out as they're ready (like they used to), and responding to complaints with an upsell attempt.

There's nothing illegal about it and it's not grounds for a lawsuit, it's just not cricket.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
It's true their shipping is slow but it's likely going out parcel ground which is super slow. If it's free they're going to use the cheapest option just like you would if you sold something on Ebay and offered free shipping. Also ECS drop ships a ton of stuff so it's likely the lag is not the package sitting there but the time it takes to transfer the order and process the shipment from whoever is actually sending it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just like with Amazon too btw.

You could have it next day with Prime, for example, but if you don't have Prime and do free shipping it could take a week.

Free shipping is free shipping. If you want it faster, of course you're gonna have to pay to upgrade.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You guys are missing the point. When a website lists something as "ships today" the free shipping option should be fine. What ecs does is create the shipping label that day then it sits for a week before they actually ship the package. That's misleading and completely shady.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Raceseng is doing this to me right. It's fuckin annoying.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
You guys are missing the point. When a website lists something as "ships today" the free shipping option should be fine. What ecs does is create the shipping label that day then it sits for a week before they actually ship the package. That's misleading and completely shady.

I've ordered a ton of stuff from them and never waited more than a day or two for something to ship. The free shipping option isn't the fastest but I appreciate that they offer it :iono:. I really don't understand the ECS hate.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie

Exactly this. A few years ago, "In stock, ships today" became "in stock, we'll box it up and leave it on the loading dock until next week unless you pay extra". I used to be able to order from them on a Wednesday with free shipping and it would be at my door when I got home from work on Friday. Now, if I order on a Monday, I'm probably not going to see it until the following Monday at the earliest.

Their response of "you can always pay for expedited shipping" is a pretty clear answer as to what changed.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Exactly this. A few years ago, "In stock, ships today" became "in stock, we'll box it up and leave it on the loading dock until next week unless you pay extra". I used to be able to order from them on a Wednesday with free shipping and it would be at my door when I got home from work on Friday. Now, if I order on a Monday, I'm probably not going to see it until the following Monday at the earliest.

Their response of "you can always pay for expedited shipping" is a pretty clear answer as to what changed.

They started using Fedex smartpost at some point too. I think they may have stopped using it because of backlash though. Smartpost is just terrible. Fedex hands the package off to USPS and this process adds like another 2-3 days to your already 5+ day shipping. The free shipping option was taking 2 weeks to get packages to me.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I've ordered a ton of stuff from them and never waited more than a day or two for something to ship. The free shipping option isn't the fastest but I appreciate that they offer it :iono:. I really don't understand the ECS hate.
Just because you've gotten lucky doesn't mean others haven't been burned.

I've ordered thousands from ecs over the years. They used to be ok, when they got bought out everything went to shit. I paid for an overnight part in order to make a track weekend from them, assured it was going to ship that day and I'd have it the next I didn't cancel the $700 weekend. Well the part didn't show, it came a week later and I was out the $700 I paid for the weekend.

Talk to me about not understanding the ecs hate some more after you go through an experience like that.

They wouldn't even refund me for the overnight shipping.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I really don't understand the ECS hate.

They do some things well, and some things poorly. I will say that from what I've seen, they have the best web store layout on the internet. It's easy to find exactly what you need, and everything is listed with part numbers and, for the most part, detailed pictures.

But their customer service is really bad, and the way they've handled acquiring companies like Turner and Pelican has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. As much as I dislike jalopnik, they published an article a while back that lays it out pretty well.

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Just because you've gotten lucky doesn't mean others haven't been burned.

I've ordered thousands from ecs over the years. They used to be ok, when they got bought out everything went to shit. I paid for an overnight part in order to make a track weekend from them, assured it was going to ship that day and I'd have it the next I didn't cancel the $700 weekend. Well the part didn't show, it came a week later and I was out the $700 I paid for the weekend.

Talk to me about not understanding the ecs hate some more after you go through an experience like that.

They wouldn't even refund me for the overnight shipping.

I've also ordered thousands in parts from ECS so I don't think it's just getting lucky when I've placed 30+ orders since 2016.

That sucks that you had that experience and I would be pissed too. But they're a company and shit happens.

To your point, I haven't ever ordered something for overnight shipping or anything like that. I have been through their RMA & warranty process a few times and had nothing but pleasant experiences.

I did notice a couple years ago they must have switched their shipping methods because everything started taking a couple days longer to get delivered. Not ideal but I plan ahead for it when possible or pay for expedited shipping if I need it. Prior to that switch I was basically getting 2-day shipping for free so I'm not surprised they switched to something more economical. I don't know what everyone is talking about assuming ECS sits on orders for a week. Nothing I've ordered from them has taken longer than a week for delivery unless it was clear it was out of stock at the time of purchase.

I'm certainly not saying ECS is flawless. They're just like every other online retailer. Sometimes they screw stuff up. I have a good track record with them and have had much worse experiences with other companies.
They do some things well, and some things poorly. I will say that from what I've seen, they have the best web store layout on the internet. It's easy to find exactly what you need, and everything is listed with part numbers and, for the most part, detailed pictures.

But their customer service is really bad, and the way they've handled acquiring companies like Turner and Pelican has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth. As much as I dislike jalopnik, they published an article a while back that lays it out pretty well.

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. A lot of info I didn't know about ECS.