GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-23-2017, 03:28 AM   #15
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Thread bump.

Im CCTA and have a CCTA stock downpipe.

So i should be able to just swap pipes and run stock mode and get her to pass yes?

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Geryon86
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
Thread bump.

Im CCTA and have a CCTA stock downpipe.

So i should be able to just swap pipes and run stock mode and get her to pass yes?
Correct, plus stock airbox etc.
Geryon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geryon86 View Post
Correct, plus stock airbox etc.
Ive got a "neuspeed" setup i think will pass visual

Radical Edward
Old 06-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
Ive got a "neuspeed" setup i think will pass visual
It won't pass visual without CARB sticker. Neuspeed and K&N both have CARB certification but you need a sticker with the number if you want to pass a real visual. Of course they might not check for it but they are supposed to. I have a sticker on mine.

At least get the CARB number from Neuspeed, they might even send you the sticker. If they won't give you the number it is publick information and you can look it up.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
It won't pass visual without CARB sticker. Neuspeed and K&N both have CARB certification but you need a sticker with the number if you want to pass a real visual. Of course they might not check for it but they are supposed to. I have a sticker on mine.

At least get the CARB number from Neuspeed, they might even send you the sticker. If they won't give you the number it is publick information and you can look it up.
Thanks for the input. Have a carb sticker on my current intake

Radical Edward
Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #20
PeeLo801
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: mk6 GLI DSG Black Pearl Metallic
I'm bumping this thread because i'm considering going k04 and worried about smog two years from now.

My stock k03 has an issue where the top bolt is stuck, years after I had a friend install my first aftermarket DP. Based on the best estimate I can get to fix it, a shop can "tap" out the stud, but they will have to take the turbo out. I'm thinking this might be an opportune time to go k04 since i'm going to pay for them to take the turbo out and put it back on anyway.

Before, I do this, though, I really want to carefully evaluate my options with k04 and of course the issue of passing smog, mainly the visual.

I have a GIAC tune, and I passed smog fine with my stock dp and switching it to stock mode. So i'm not worried about it passing readiness.

If I can get lucky with a smog place that won't be able to tell that I have a different turbo than stock (since k04 is technically stock for other vw/audi models if IIRC), then I should be okay right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

GIAC Stage 2 // Neuspeed p-flo intake // SPM Downpipe // TSW Nurburgring // DG Springs // Unibrace UB // Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway Bars // Michelin Pilot Sport A3
ipb-autosport.com: The official GIAC dealer in the Sacramento area
PeeLo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeLo801 View Post
I'm bumping this thread because i'm considering going k04 and worried about smog two years from now.

My stock k03 has an issue where the top bolt is stuck, years after I had a friend install my first aftermarket DP. Based on the best estimate I can get to fix it, a shop can "tap" out the stud, but they will have to take the turbo out. I'm thinking this might be an opportune time to go k04 since i'm going to pay for them to take the turbo out and put it back on anyway.

Before, I do this, though, I really want to carefully evaluate my options with k04 and of course the issue of passing smog, mainly the visual.

I have a GIAC tune, and I passed smog fine with my stock dp and switching it to stock mode. So i'm not worried about it passing readiness.

If I can get lucky with a smog place that won't be able to tell that I have a different turbo than stock (since k04 is technically stock for other vw/audi models if IIRC), then I should be okay right?

Are you the one with the AWE DP on NCVWDC fb page? Only way around it is putting a stock modified CCTA dp for k04 to pass smog. they should also be able to take out the stud without taking the turbo off.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
BudgetPhoenix

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:

Is the nut seized on it? Or just old the stud seized? You should be able to remove it with a stud puller tool. If its snapped off I think a right angle drill with the DP removed should have room to enough to drill it out. Also you should be able to pass with a K04 and a OEM downpipe and factory intake and the stock tune or a stage 1 tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness. From under the hood it will look stock, someone would really have to know what to look for to notice.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #23
avni
Oval Champion

Drives: MK6
Just buy a sticker from a friend and
Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #24
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:

I have passed smog twice now with just what you describe. I make sure readiness is good and stock downpipe is in place. I can't imagine anyone noticing the turbo change.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #25
PeeLo801

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
Are you the one with the AWE DP on NCVWDC fb page? Only way around it is putting a stock modified CCTA dp for k04 to pass smog. they should also be able to take out the stud without taking the turbo off.
Thanks, yes I'm in that group. I deleted that thread because I got the downpipe issue resolved.

I actually read up on this some more from nuisance's thread and I understand now that a modified CCTA DP would be the only way to do it.

But if I can get that bolt out, then I would be fine staying stage 2. The shop however says they have to take the turbo out in order to get the stud out. I'm going to consult with other personal resources of mine who may have the tools and confidence in their ability to do it. In the meantime, I'm compiling any/all suggestions so I can figure out a way to do it without taking out the turbo.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GIAC Stage 2 // Neuspeed p-flo intake // SPM Downpipe // TSW Nurburgring // DG Springs // Unibrace UB // Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway Bars // Michelin Pilot Sport A3
Old 04-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #26
PeeLo801

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Is the nut seized on it? Or just old the stud seized? You should be able to remove it with a stud puller tool. If its snapped off I think a right angle drill with the DP removed should have room to enough to drill it out. Also you should be able to pass with a K04 and a OEM downpipe and factory intake and the stock tune or a stage 1 tune that doesn't mess with emissions readiness. From under the hood it will look stock, someone would really have to know what to look for to notice.
I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, but what happens to the hole/thread if I drill the stud out? Will I still be able to use the regular stud and nut? I have a brother in law that's mechanic and I believe he has the tools to do it, so I'll consult with him.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #27
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
I've never dealt with this kind of situation before, but what happens to the hole/thread if I drill the stud out? Will I still be able to use the regular stud and nut? I have a brother in law that's mechanic and I believe he has the tools to do it, so I'll consult with him.

You normally get them out with an easy out screw extractor after soaking it for a while with something like PB Blaster solvent. That way you can preserve the threads.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:54 AM   #28
PeeLo801

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
You normally get them out with an easy out screw extractor after soaking it for a while with something like PB Blaster solvent. That way you can preserve the threads.
Thank you.