GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Not interested in the tires. They wont fit my miata.

More interested on an update with the car.

Putting her back to stock. Planning on selling her shortly after buying a house and getting a truck that I can haul stuff with for working on the house as well as trailering a racecar. I may be taking it up for some mountain driving this weekend if the weather holds up as a last hurrah before putting the stock suspension all back in. How goes life with the turbo miata?

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Putting her back to stock. Planning on selling her shortly after buying a house and getting a truck that I can haul stuff with for working on the house as well as trailering a racecar. I may be taking it up for some mountain driving this weekend if the weather holds up as a last hurrah before putting the stock suspension all back in. How goes life with the turbo miata?

So sad to see her going away! Hope you find your way back into the GTI/R family soon :)

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion

Turbo miata life is going well. I was away for 40 days of training so the car sat. It started up just fine and drove three hours the next day. I just purchased a Megasquirt ECU this evening and more will be coming in the next few weeks/ months.

What are you planning to do for a racecar in the future? I have a hard time believing you will go too long without a car. Might I suggest a miata or something similar. Theyre much cheaper than a GTI. And so far im having much more fun. That may also be the manual vs DSG. Im loving the three pedal driving.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
So sad to see her going away! Hope you find your way back into the GTI/R family soon :)

Yeah, the GTI has been great, but its about time for a change. I will definitely miss the car and if the option comes up to have one again and fit my needs, it will be the top contender for sure.

Turbo miata life is going well. I was away for 40 days of training so the car sat. It started up just fine and drove three hours the next day. I just purchased a Megasquirt ECU this evening and more will be coming in the next few weeks/ months.

What are you planning to do for a racecar in the future? I have a hard time believing you will go too long without a car. Might I suggest a miata or something similar. Theyre much cheaper than a GTI. And so far im having much more fun. That may also be the manual vs DSG. Im loving the three pedal driving.

Funny enough, I've been wanting a Miata for a looooong time. I'm selling my Jeep before I sell the GTI to help with a down payment on a house as well as get a little money to start looking for a decent Miata to start wrenching on in prep to start track driving. I would eventually either boost it or do a motor swap, because after feeling boost and some reasonable power its not something I wast to be without for long

Last edited:

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Funny enough, I've been wanting a Miata for a looooong time. I'm selling my Jeep before I sell the GTI to help with a down payment on a house as well as get a little money to start looking for a decent Miata to start wrenching on in prep to start track driving. I would eventually either boost it or do a motor swap, because after feeling boost and some reasonable power its not something I wast to be without for long

The boost is fun. but its just a whole additional mess to deal with on the track. I suggest just building the best NA car you can. And once you get some miles under your belt with the car go ahead and motor swap it. While I was at Gridlife at road atlanta there were 10 track miatas. And zero of them were boosted if that tells you something. These cars are hard to keep cold and stop from overheating. But theyre a blast to drive. An LS swap isnt actually too heavy and they can be found for a decent price. I would suggest that over boost for a track car. If you were to share it as a DD and light track I say boost. Its more fun day to day. But overall less reliable.

Im actually about to get rods for the car. I believe my oil pump went. And that means I need to pull the motor. Might as well beef it up while im in there.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
The boost is fun. but its just a whole additional mess to deal with on the track. I suggest just building the best NA car you can. And once you get some miles under your belt with the car go ahead and motor swap it. While I was at Gridlife at road atlanta there were 10 track miatas. And zero of them were boosted if that tells you something. These cars are hard to keep cold and stop from overheating. But theyre a blast to drive. An LS swap isnt actually too heavy and they can be found for a decent price. I would suggest that over boost for a track car. If you were to share it as a DD and light track I say boost. Its more fun day to day. But overall less reliable.

Im actually about to get rods for the car. I believe my oil pump went. And that means I need to pull the motor. Might as well beef it up while im in there.

Yeah, I have heard that it is difficult to build a reliable boosted miata for the track, but as of now I'm willing to give it a try. I will definitely be building it up in NA form first and eventually doing boost later. Another option would be to do an LFX swap as its lighter and cheaper than an LS swap, but still good for 300whp which would be insane on a miata. Time will tell, I still need to wrap up a few projects on the Jeep, get it sold, and buy a miata before I can even get started, haha

ncsugray90

Ready to race!

So this is happening soon.....