GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best easy to use code scan tool?

gti2015

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

Just wondering what the best easy to use code scanner is for my GTI? I'd like something I can buy on Amazon and I want something I can just plug in, turn on and read the codes. I would rather have something that doesn't allow codes to be cleared. Thanks for any help!

gti2015

Passed Driver's Ed
You want a basic code reader? Pretty much any of the generic's on amazon will do that. If you want the "best" buy a vagcom cable. Really confused why you would want something specifically that does NOT clear the codes... Why?

So I don't accidentally clear the codes.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
To read and clear codes I use the $20 scanner from Walmart. Works perfect if you just need it to scan codes and erase codes [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skitals

Ready to race!
I have this one from Amazon and it works fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011Q18D14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would be pretty hard to "accidentally" clear the codes. You want the ability. Depending what it is, you clear it and it might not come back. Or you make a fix, clear the code, and see if it comes back.

You can also get a bluetooth obd2 adapter for about the same price and use it with Torque on your phone for a ton more functionality like data logging.

Or just bite the bullet and get a vagcom cable. Mine has more than paid for itself by diagnosing and fixing things and keeping my car out of the shop.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So I don't accidentally clear the codes.
why are you afraid of clearing the codes? If its a actual problem they would pop back on shortly after you cleared it anyways. Plus it takes multiple steps to clear them.. You have to go to the setting hit clear trouble codes then it will prompt you asking if you are sure etc

Jaber

Modero
If you're afraid of clearing codes by accident, just take your car to a mechanic lol....

You can buy a $10 OBDII adapter for iOS or Android and find a free or paid ($5~) app. Now you have something that is very portable and easy to use.

gti2015

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone, I bought a cheap scan tool on Amazon. I have never used one before but it sounds easy to do.

zrickety

The Fixer
I have found not all the cheap scanners work...if you have trouble try the OBDLink LX bluetooth adapter, very useful for me and works on all cars. App is on your smartphone.

gti2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I have found not all the cheap scanners work...if you have trouble try the OBDLink LX bluetooth adapter, very useful for me and works on all cars. App is on your smartphone.

Ok thanks, I have never used that kind of app. Is it easy to use?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

X2

I bought a real cheap one and it was not compatible with newer VW ECUs. The one I have works great.

Autel AL319

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Ok thanks, I have never used that kind of app. Is it easy to use?

i have a bluetooth odb2 adapter and downloaded torque app on phone. has worked fine on numerous cars. torque app you can monitor coolant temps, intake temps, 0-60 mph etc

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i have a bluetooth odb2 adapter and downloaded torque app on phone. has worked fine on numerous cars. torque app you can monitor coolant temps, intake temps, 0-60 mph etc
my cobb AP does that too. ;)