GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack


The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #785
mostic
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
mostic's Avatar
 
Drives: VW
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Egypt
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renck View Post
Thanks again! I'll keep that in consideration as I'm not planning to lower the car like 1 inch or so.



Coilovers are supposed to arrive today, front sway bar early next week and I still need to order the rear sway bar + rear end links. Gee.....I need to really stop with these mods!


Good luck, specially with stopping mods.
I took this discussion years ago that I wonít mod anymore and thatís enough. You know what, I stopped. I stopped saying that and kept moving modified more aggressively!
mostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #786
Renck
Rally Car Newbie
 
Renck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn + 2017 GTI SE
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostic View Post
Good luck, specially with stopping mods.
I took this discussion years ago that I wonít mod anymore and thatís enough. You know what, I stopped. I stopped saying that and kept moving modified more aggressively!
I'll be joining your club soon then. LOL
Renck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #787
Renck
Rally Car Newbie
 
Renck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn + 2017 GTI SE
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renck View Post
Hi guys! I just purchased an APR front anti-sway bar (27 mm):

http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/ap...i-mk6-gli.html


and now I'm looking at the Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar (27 mm):

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...K5-MK6-A3.html


Based on what I was able to find the APR sway bar was made by Hotchkis (first post here), so I think this combo should work.

Thoughts? Any other rear sway bar to consider?
As many things in life............change on plans on the rear sway bar: two new options under consideration are:

Neuspeed 25mm - Tubular

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...etta-b6-passat


Whiteline 24mm - Solid

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...e-24mm-bwr20xz


034 Motorsport 25.4mm - Solid

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...r-034-402-1003


Remember this rear bar will be used with an ARP Front Sway Bar. Thoughts?
Renck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #788
mostic
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
mostic's Avatar
 
Drives: VW
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Egypt
Posts: 403
I would suggest going for Hotchiks, they are same as APR as they are the original producer of APR, same size 27mm and much cheaper.
mostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #789
Renck
Rally Car Newbie
 
Renck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn + 2017 GTI SE
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostic View Post
I would suggest going for Hotchiks, they are same as APR as they are the original producer of APR, same size 27mm and much cheaper.
Thanks! The only two considerations are:

Reports that the 27mm rear bar is way too big
I found a Neuspeed 25mm rear bar at a really good price

Decisions, decisions


Front sway bar at home now:

Name:  rsz_20171004_171958.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  219.4 KB


Front end links too:

Name:  rsz_20171004_180354.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  110.1 KB

Last edited by Renck; 10-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Renck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 PM   #790
Lazer 100
Go Kart Champion
 
Lazer 100's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Soooo....I put a new sway bar and end links on last Thursday and Iím really happy with them. I really need to adjust my driving and tire pressures because I spun twice on Sunday, but itíll be good when I get it sorted. My problem is, when I finished my event on Sunday I had a rear end clunk, but only at very low speeds (under 30 mph) and on very slight left hand turns. Itís weird. I got it up and checked the torque on the sway bar and end links, made sure nothing was loose in the rear suspension, etc... but itís almost like something is hitting the floorboard or body panels in the rear. Any suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #791
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion
 
snobrdrdan's Avatar
 
Drives: a VW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 100 View Post
Soooo....I put a new sway bar and end links on last Thursday and Iím really happy with them. I really need to adjust my driving and tire pressures because I spun twice on Sunday, but itíll be good when I get it sorted. My problem is, when I finished my event on Sunday I had a rear end clunk, but only at very low speeds (under 30 mph) and on very slight left hand turns. Itís weird. I got it up and checked the torque on the sway bar and end links, made sure nothing was loose in the rear suspension, etc... but itís almost like something is hitting the floorboard or body panels in the rear. Any suggestions?
Check everything underneath the car with the suspension loaded (i.e. on ramps)
__________________
2017 Passat VR6
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #792
theclutch
Touring Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 100 View Post
Soooo....I put a new sway bar and end links on last Thursday and Iím really happy with them. I really need to adjust my driving and tire pressures because I spun twice on Sunday, but itíll be good when I get it sorted. My problem is, when I finished my event on Sunday I had a rear end clunk, but only at very low speeds (under 30 mph) and on very slight left hand turns. Itís weird. I got it up and checked the torque on the sway bar and end links, made sure nothing was loose in the rear suspension, etc... but itís almost like something is hitting the floorboard or body panels in the rear. Any suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you figure out what the clunk is? I am getting the same.

I got the Neuspeed 28mm hollow RSB. I still have the stock fronts with all stock suspension. I went with the Neuspeed suggestion (similar to what 034 says) in that we don't need to change the FSB. I figure they have a lot more suspension experience than anyone here in the forum would. So I'll try it out. From this forum, I would supposedly get snap oversteer with this setup. I've *tried very hard* to coax this, but have not been successful. I even jam on the brakes while turning and still no snap oversteer. Maybe I'm not going fast enough? Do i need to turn off traction control?

For folks who are curious, the stock RSB is 4 lbs. The Neuspeed 28mm hollow is 7 lbs. The extra stiffening brackets were 3 lbs. Thus, I gained 6 lbs in the upgrade process. No big deal.

I just set the RSB into the "hard" setting. This setting is supposedly 268% increase over the stock 21.7mm bar. The "soft" setting is 202% increase over stock. I just noticed the clunk (rear passenger side) since setting it to hard. I will change it to soft to see if I can still hear the clunk. All bolts that I touched during the installation are tight and torqued.

Any thoughts?
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #793
Tifore
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2012 Black 6MT GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
Did you figure out what the clunk is? I am getting the same.

I got the Neuspeed 28mm hollow RSB. I still have the stock fronts with all stock suspension. I went with the Neuspeed suggestion (similar to what 034 says) in that we don't need to change the FSB. I figure they have a lot more suspension experience than anyone here in the forum would. So I'll try it out. From this forum, I would supposedly get snap oversteer with this setup. I've *tried very hard* to coax this, but have not been successful. I even jam on the brakes while turning and still no snap oversteer. Maybe I'm not going fast enough? Do i need to turn off traction control?

For folks who are curious, the stock RSB is 4 lbs. The Neuspeed 28mm hollow is 7 lbs. The extra stiffening brackets were 3 lbs. Thus, I gained 6 lbs in the upgrade process. No big deal.

I just set the RSB into the "hard" setting. This setting is supposedly 268% increase over the stock 21.7mm bar. The "soft" setting is 202% increase over stock. I just noticed the clunk (rear passenger side) since setting it to hard. I will change it to soft to see if I can still hear the clunk. All bolts that I touched during the installation are tight and torqued.

Any thoughts?
Possibly your subframe that is clunking? Just a guess... Tyrolsport Deadset Kit will fix it.
Tifore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #794
mostic
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
mostic's Avatar
 
Drives: VW
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Egypt
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifore View Post
Possibly your subframe that is clunking? Just a guess... Tyrolsport Deadset Kit will fix it.


I have all Tyrolsport Deadset Kits and my front are clunking too!
I have hotchkis 27mm hole F&R sway bars with the stuffiness Settings and whitline F&R endlinks.
mostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #795
theclutch
Touring Car Newbie
 
theclutch's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifore View Post
Possibly your subframe that is clunking? Just a guess... Tyrolsport Deadset Kit will fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostic View Post
I have all Tyrolsport Deadset Kits and my front are clunking too!
I have hotchkis 27mm hole F&R sway bars with the stuffiness Settings and whitline F&R endlinks.
THANKS for the tip! I checked them out. They were tight and didn't appear to have any movement.

But the noise seems to have come from the end link nut coming slightly loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. However, after a while it came back. I assume it loosened again (despite me torquing to spec). The bars were set to full stiffest. I will set them to soft and see if the nut loosens again.

For the record, it seems that the only time that I was able to get the back end to swing around is when I turned off the traction control and *really* turned left (or right) really hard. I felt the outer rear tire come off the ground and come back down. I have all stock suspension except for the Neuspeed 28mm hollow rear sway bar.
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #796
TimS
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
But the noise seems to have come from the end link nut coming slightly loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. However, after a while it came back. I assume it loosened again (despite me torquing to spec). The bars were set to full stiffest. I will set them to soft and see if the nut loosens again.
I find that endlinks need to be retorqued after a couple hundred miles any time you have them apart. If they loosen again after that, maybe add a lock washer.

Quote:
For the record, it seems that the only time that I was able to get the back end to swing around is when I turned off the traction control and *really* turned left (or right) really hard. I felt the outer rear tire come off the ground and come back down. I have all stock suspension except for the Neuspeed 28mm hollow rear sway bar.
Turns out the internet likes to exaggerate the effects of some things.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #797
95tequesta
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2010 GTI MK6 Candy White
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 20
Torque Specs: Sway Bar to Subframe

I have searched throughout this forum and on Internet and I am getting differing numbers for the torque specs for the sway bar bracket bolts to sub frame.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these bolts?

M8x75
95tequesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #798
TimS
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95tequesta View Post
I have searched throughout this forum and on Internet and I am getting differing numbers for the torque specs for the sway bar bracket bolts to sub frame.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these bolts?

M8x75
Front: 70nm/51ft-lb + 90 degrees (1/4 turn)
Rear: 20nm/15ft-lb + 90 degrees (1/4 turn)

https://blogvager.files.wordpress.co...a3_qsb_web.pdf
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.